How to deal with the issues raised in Ura's article.

V

Volradon

Ok, first of all lets define spam. I think we all agreed that it is a post about "I reached 237 posts" or something like that. Ok, so I say people that do that should be given warnings and the # of warnings should be showed next to a personst name. When they reach a certain number, they get baned for like a week and if the problem persists the ban then forever or for like a month. I dont think the the off topic should be deleted becasue i really dont want to go to other sites to talk about things. Magic players are USUALLY more inteligent then the average person so...

Also, if i ever see anyone respond to a thread with

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

I will um... do something REALLY EVIL :)

A

Apollo

Battles are fun. If you don't like them, don't go in the Battle Arena. But they are interesting, and can be funny and entertaining as well.

The same goes for the off-topic forum. There is nothing wrong with jokes, or debate about things that aren't related to Magic. The only problem is the "x posts" threads or similar spam.

Now, do you want to argue with this blindless truth, or would you like to contradict yourselves?
This is a typical "I'm right, and anyone that wants to argue with me is an idiot" idea. Geez.

I said that DUke is hypocritical because he wants to abolish the Battle Arena, yet participates them. This would be similar to George W. Bush getting an abortion. When DUke can go two weeks without posting in the off-topic or battle forums, then I'll take his argument seriously

[Edited by Apollo on 11-08-00 at 06:48 PM]

R

Rando

As is usual, this thread has slipped off topic. Please refer to my original post.

D

DÛke

...are you stupid, or what? Did you read my posts, or did you decide to contradict me without knowledge? That's what you did bird boy!

A previous post by me from this thread:
I already said I have no problem with the Off-Topic area, and not the Battle Area, but seeing how some people get too “picky” about it, we should stop. It’s not our website, and we shouldn’t try to promote what ourselves need, but what the whole CPA community as a whole. What we’re doing is saying, “Yeah, we should spam, although many other people dislike it”.
It’s totally selfish.
Did you read this Apollo? Or did you contradict the "blind less" truth without even trying to think?
Said by Apollo:
I said that DUke is hypocritical because he wants to abolish the Battle Arena, yet participates them. This would be similar to George W. Bush getting an abortion. When DUke can go two weeks without posting in the off-topic or battle forums, then I'll take his argument seriously
You know, that quote above by Apollo shows that he didn't ready my other opinions, but decide to argue with me just to spam perhaps? When you open your eyes, listen to what people have to say instead of enforcing your own little opinion, and then I'll consider what you're saying. Right now, you're a wind in my ear. Case, with Mr. bird boy and me is, in fact, dismissed.

Now, for Rando :):
I open this thread up as a forum for debate on the future of the CPA. Please let it be known what your stand is, and what you would like the future to be. Let us at least try to remain dignified and polite, and to keep our manners about us.
I believe that the CPA will live as long as its members wish to do so. As long as we have many active members the CPA will live. The problem is when there are "troublesome" active members. This will not matter to the future or survival of the CPA, but it will matter to the rest of the active members. Example, I have spammed, insulted (not on purpose, but I guess I have), and made some unwise judgments; as you can see, that didn't kill the CPA, and if I continue, the CPA wouldn't die either, but what will happen is that some of the equally active members start to feel annoyed by the constant babblings and meaningless spam; by the many unneeded similes, and by everything. Therefore, when that happens, one should take responsibility to make sure that those members do not feel that. It is important to save those members, after all, they are equally active, and they are important. As I see it, I'm the only person willing to change his way from a couple of other culpable members, but me by myself does count also. Hey, one less spammer could make all the difference.

In conclusion, the CPA will live, with peace, and happiness. It's future is bright; however, some members will feel uncomfortable being here due to the many useless comments.

[Edited by DÛke on 11-09-00 at 07:27 AM]

V

Volradon

To everyone that said Duke is hypocrytical (sp?) Just becasue someone has an idea and they are wiling to give up something they do for for the good of everyone else should not be yeled at, but instead mush be considered because anyone THAT serious about it must have a reason. BTW, i didnt know people were anoyed by smilies :)

G

Gizmo

Personalyl I think we can kill the Battle Arena. but then I have NEVER even set foot there, so it bothers me not one jot.
I think it would be a shame to lose the Off-Topic. There are occasionally some good discussions there.

BTW, as Duke ever made a post about a deck?

A

Apollo

DUke: you accuse me of not reading others' opinions and just trying to spam. Then you resort to name-calling. You are not doing a good job of making your point.

Why does the Off-Topic forum exist? Exactly to write what? "Off- topic" stuff? Why should a Magic sight have an Off-Topic forum?...

It goes for the Battle Arena. I don't see what's the big deal about it. In some ways, it's even much worse than the Off-Topic forum
The fact is, it sure sounds like you want to abolish the Battle Arena and Off Topic forums. You say that you don't have a problem with them; so you must just want to get rid of them because other people have a problem with them. You, good samaritan that you are, want to get rid of these forums so that others will be happy.

You must not be too concerned with the happiness of these "others" because you also frequently participate in these forums. Every time you post in one of these, especially one that gets many responses, you have encouraged that forum to grow.

Basically, you speak against these forums, and seem to want to get rid of them, yet you actively participate in them and encourage their growth. That is hypocrisy. I'm not name-calling, just stating a fact.

I hope this "wind in your ear" has gotten through to you and made you re-read your own posts and consider what you are saying.

To adress a different point: this is a casual magic site. It shouldn't be measured by how many responses its deck section gets! Our goal certainly isn't to create killer decks so that our members win every tournament they enter. There has been some argument about our mission, but that isn't one of the ideas we've considered. You shouldn't critisize the members of a casual magic site for failing to participate actively in the deck section!

Btw, how did that quote by me show that I didn't read what you said? That made no sense, DUke. Rather, it showed that you didn't consider what I was saying.

D

DÛke

...you're just saying you don't believe in me changing my ways, right? Time will show; I'll prove you wrong. I was changing for one reason; now, I'm changing for two reasons; one of them proving that you don't know what you're talking about.

A

Apollo

Actually, I was saying two things. First of all, I was saying that it is not necessary to abolish the off-topic area and battle arena, and that it would be a bad idea to do so.

Second, I was saying that if you truly want to get rid of these forums, you shouldn't be participating. I believe you could change your "ways." I believe that anybody can change any of their ways (well, not entirely; I couldn't ever stop acting dumb:)). However, I took the fact that you still used those forums (quite a bit) as evidence that you are not changing your ways.

Basically, if you say you want to get rid of them, yet through your actions, you encourage their growth.

Killer Joe

I personally think that the direction of the CPA should be naturally developed and not forced to take a stand, right now. If there was a 'Crisis' like; All counter magic spells will no longer be printed in upcomming sets. Now THAT, would be a reason for a call to arms, and then we can refocus on the original mission statement.
Until such a gawdawfull time arrives, I think the current direction is fine.

A

Apollo

Yellowjacket, I have no idea what your subject means, but the rest of your post sounds dead-on to me.:)

G

Gerode

I'm sure this has already been said somewhere, but what exactly are the problems from spamming and off-topicness?

The dilution of intelligent and/or Magic-related discussions? I don't see how much a few lines can completely rid a site of any useful content. It's not particulary challenging to just ignore spam.

The loss of focus? There hasn't been much to focus on in the world of Magic. Why are we trying to force issues to be discussed, while everyone is apparently satisfied with the current situation? There is nothing else of major importance to focus on (other than this spam issue), or else everyone is staying quiet.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. Try this: The fact is, we've worked really hard over the past year to get WotC to notice us and take us seriously. Orgg, in particular, has managed to publish interviews with 2 of the biggest names in Magic (Whatever did happen to the Garfield interview?), and right now he's trying to put the CPA button thing together despite having a full schedule at school to contend with.

We've finally gotten their attention, to where you can be sure they lurk here on at least a weekly basis...

Only to find that 90% of our group would rather screw around and post spam than have legitimate, Magic-orientated things to talk about!

It's kind of depressing, don't you think? :(

D

DÛke

I must eagerly support what TomB said. I realized what he is saying right now; though it took me a long ride of carelessness and spam to really see what was going on.

Not many are willing to change, or at least, tone it down; but those who are, are those who really care.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yellowjacket:
. If there was a 'Crisis' like; All counter magic spells will no longer be printed in upcomming sets
Actually, would casual players really mind if counters were no longer printed? I've gotten the impression from this group that counters are bad for casual play.