How much money do you spend on Magic every month?

M

maraud234

I spend way too much, about $20. But I know there are people out there that spend alot more than I do.

G

Gerode

I spend about $15-20 per month, too. I'll usually get a box of a good set, which adds to that cost.

F

fuzzy510

On average, I spend about $1.15 a month. I'm not a huge buyer of Magic cards, so my total is not very high.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I have played Magic for a little less than 4 years and I've bought a little less than about $1000 of product total, so I'd say about $20 a month too.
That's likely to be the average among frequent posters here.

M

maraud234

It seems as though everybody is posting that they spend $20 bucks a month. But I know there is somebody out there that spends over $100 a month. I've come to this conclusion because I know alot of people who have alot of cards from for instance, planeshift. I've been buying planeshift consistently for 3 months now. And I only have 250 cards. But some people have 1500 cards. So you know they are spending mucho money.

J

Jake74

I usually end up buying a box a month. I buy 2 when the new set comes out and then at least one more before the next set comes out. I'd say my average is $60-$80 a month.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Please do not post fresh topics in the Classic Questions Forum. Thank you. :D

I

Istanbul

Wow.

Well, when a new set comes out, I try to buy two boxes. That's about $160 right there.
Depending on how much spare cash I have after that...I tend to blow about $40 a month on Magic.

So, figure my months go like this:
Jan: $40
Feb: $200
Mar: $40
Apr: $40
May: $40
June: $200
July: $40
Aug: $40
Sept: $40
Oct: $200
Nov: $40
Dec: $40

Add 'em all together, average 'em...

I spend an *average* of about $80 a month.

L

Landkiller

If you include tournament entry fees, I'd say I spend around $40-50 a month.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Currently, I spend $0 a month as I'm not playing.

Back when I was, I would get a booster box whenever a set came out. So that's about $80 every 3? 4? months which comes to roughly $20/25 a month.

M

Mundungu

usually 1,5 Boxes of each expansion : 1 box plus occasional boosters here and there. This year, with 7th coming on it will be 7 expansions. That is 70 USD/month right there, in average.

Then the usual FNM tourney fee, plus occasional parallel expenses, like sleeves, boxes, binders I'd say easilly 75-100 USD / month.

Still a lot of money, but I have a work, and this is my only hobby. I guess playing golf or tennis, or going in ski vacation wouldnt come as cheap ! And it is still less than my electricity bill....

J

John`O

In the last year

Cards are cheap , travel costs

Spending
Cards $80 * 3 = 240 (one box of each)
Entries $15 * 10 = 150
Drafts $9 * 40 = 360
Flights $300 * 4 = 1200
Trains = 400
Petrol = 100
Hotels = 1200

Spending = 3650
or $300 a month
(does not include overpriced food at venues)

Winnings
Masters = 2000
GP = 2000
Team PT = 2000
Teams PTQs = 700

Winnings = 6700

Net Spending = - 3050

Net Spend per Month = about $-250

John

E

EricBess

I usually get my boxes through deals. My wife is on the Spanish translation team for WotC, so I get boxes as part of her compensation. I'm not sure how you would count that, but they would give us $50 instead of a box, so I guess that is what it is worth from WotC. I get 2 boxes of the main expansion that way and 1 of the additional expansions.

Monthly, we have a limited tournament every tuesday. It alternates between sealed and booster. If I attend all 4 weeks in a typical month, that amounts to $48. I used to judge the Saturday tournaments to pay for that, so I really wasn't spending anything, but my Saturday's have been otherwise occupied for a while now.

BTW, I usually only go 2-3 Tuesdays/month and I usually end up going 3-1 in the tournament (with the occasional undefeated), so I take packs home as prize as well.

E

EricBess

John 'O,

:) If you are going to look at it that way, I would need to know how much time you spend a month on other than casual play. If you are expecting to win at the tournaments, you need to spend a decent amount of time playtesting and tuning, right? That is outside the realm of casual play, so it figures into the picture. What is your travel time, etc.

Basically, what I am asking is, how much do you get paid an hour to play magic? Do you consider it a full time or a part time job? ;)

R

rkoelsch

I think it is a rare thing when someone actually makes money at Magic even though they promote it as a profession.
Anyway's on topic I probably spend between 10 to 15 dollars a month. I haven't bought a box since Tempest. I usually only buy a couple of boosters and then what I get in a draft. I remember one draft I got both a meddling mage and an orim's chant in the same draft. of course I lost but at least I was drafting U/W/g when they came up so I didn't feel like a rare drafter.

J

John`O

I get paid approx nothing to play magic, really.
Must play / test about 25 hours a week
that's not including time spent writing decklists at work.
So thats 110 hours a month
so $2.10 an hour or so.
But my calculation was missing quite a few hidden
costs,like expensive food and costing the
time I take off work to travel...

My job pays *much* more !

John

(unhappy face for the small amount of $ per hour)

E

EricBess

Sorry John 'O.

I really wasn't trying to discredit what you had said. It's awesome that you are able to make enough to at least cover your expenses. I was just trying to make a point about people who actually do get money from Magic. I think there is a misconception about "serious player" vs. "casual player". A lot of people on both sides think that the #1 thing that separates the two groups is skill. The truth of the matter is that, while it takes a degree of skill to become a serious player, it is far more important to have the time to invest in it.

I'm glad to hear that you have a real job to help you afford a place to live, food on the non-playing days, etc. ;)

R

rakso

Pretty amazing, John O.

I usually spend... about zero or $10 at a time. Type I player with time only for casual play. Go figure. :)

By the way, John O. Anyone ever resolve that Wheel of Fortune in red debate conlusively yet?