How many have played for Ante?

R

rkoelsch

Do you still play for ante? I know some people that play for ante with rares and constructed decks. I won't do that. But we used to have sealed deck leagues that were all about ante. Those were fun and often the best ante was a useful land.

N

nodnarb24

I don't play for ante but once or twice i have played "false ante" which we would ante up and play like we had ante but no we would keep the ante no matter who wins so its fun for both of us and no one would lose a very good rare to a common or uncommon.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I loved playing with ante in the times of no killer decks (as I said before in another thread, that was how I won my first Serra Angel). Nowadays when I used to play, sometimes we would play for ante but trade back the card if we really wanted it back.

C

Cateran Overlord

That's how I got my first Sengir Vampire (god I love those). I don't play for true ante, rather we both choose a rare to ante up. No one ever chooses to ante a really good rare, so we end up playing "Silly Rare Ante" :D

T

theorgg

When I first started, when it wasn't my decks, yes.

Nowdays? I only play when challanged.

Bargain vs 20 swamp, 10 dark rituals, 10 Darkpact w/ cards up for ante. first turn of mine- swamp, ritual, darkpact. put a swamp in the ante, put the ante on top of my deck.
If he doesn't concede, I let him win for a swamp.

G

galtwish

Hi, I'm Erik, and I've played for ante. And I'll do it again. I lost a Pandemonium against two Stormbinds. Yeah 5color!

Erik

Z

Zadok001

Of course I've played for ante! No self-respecting idiot would say otherwise! :) Actually, I only played for ante back when Kird Apes got +1/+2 for EACH forest you had, and Frozen Shade's ability was permenant. All those stupid rules just messed with the game... :) J/K

Can you tell I started playing with Dark and Revised, with people who learned to play via a rulebook that had lost several pages? :)

E

Elrond

The place I play has a different spin on ante games. Instead of taking the ante out of your deck you pass around your trade binder so that your ante card isn't the key card in your deck. It also avoids those situations where a really good rare is anted against a crap common by having your opponents pick the card with you getting a chance to say no, sorta like a real trade. I thought it was a lot of fun, and I actually won a couple of good cards.

I

Istanbul

I played for ante.
We stopped.
It fostered bad blood when I won a card I really wanted.

A

arhar

I still play for ante all the time when I play multiplayer games. There's just no other way to play in my group :)

Also, the MOST BROKEN CARD ever can only be played for ante.

What is it? Black Lotus? Nope. Anc. Recall? No. Morphling? No.

The most broken card ever is.....

Contract from Below B
Sorcery

Discard your hand and draw eight cards, adding the first drawn to the ante.

Imho, 1 for 7 is kinda better than Ancestral Recall :)

R

Riva Iron-Grip

i still play for ante. but my friends and i only put in our cheapest rare. that way no one is getting screwed out of a cheap rare, and an expensive rare

K

K1

*BUK BUK BUK*

I was too chicken to play for ante. When all you could afford was one starter and a couple boosters, the thought of losing a rare was just to darn scary!

K1
-------
Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love.

K

krichaiushii

I've only played for ante on a few occasions, and then it was either in a sealed deck environment or for cards of equal value from trade binders.

The bad thing about ante cards is that some of the best artwork and card titles are wasted on them. Tempest Efreet, anyone? Now THAT is a cool picture. I agree with arhar, though -- you can't go wrong with Contract from Below. (That rhymes, cool!)

Bronze Tablet is actually a very useful card when playing sealed deck.