How does everyone play?

N

Namielus

I'm talking about where everyone plays, like do you play with 6 friend that change deck only when new sets hit, are you a diehard tournement winner. Or do you duel, stick to type 1 or b. Do you play multiplayer, and do you need to win every game you play or you loss yet another finger?

It seems everyones got an opinion its just nicer to know where you got it from.

Myself, I stick to more untriaditional variants like type ramdom, or vangaurd. I play decks that generally win about 40% of the time (there fun decks though). I've also got this cruel cunning playing style that uses black fat (ie the nick).

Where do the rest of you guys stand?

D

Darsh

I myself play multiplayer, sometimes duel, NEVER tournements I play type anything goes.

I usually play decks that are that are fun no matter how often they lose (my favorite being my spike or pestilence deck) and I am also a long time fan of black (suicide, life drain, graveyard manipulation, mass creature destruction) and I love black's artwork.

N

nanokill

I like playing causual decks, and fun decks. i play single matches, i use vanguard cards and i play in large multiplayers, i like to win but like to have fun playing even more (even if it means i won't win):D

i you don't want to play for fun why bother playing.......

answer me that....and don't put to win or for money

E

Elrond

I play multiplayer, duels, whatever you want, although for some reason the online programs always mess up when I try to play. It's pretty much anything goes except we don't usually allow unglued cards and the majorly overpowered cards like channel-fireball combos and what have you.

I usually try to have fun while winning, but I have built a few straight cheese win decks to play for ante and stuff when I feel like changing things around a bit. Winning is not my only goal, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to.

Oh, and Nano: one reason to play like that is to burst someone's bubble, for example some guy comes into the store with a net deck that consistently wins on turn two, you've just got to knock the guy down a notch.

[Edited by Elrond on September 7th, 2000 at 07:25 PM]

Z

Zadok001

I tend to play the same formats as Namielus... :) (Hint, hint.)

Decks? Well, I have a tendancy to play somewhat sadistic decks, often switching between an odd combo with Greater Good and something akin to Watching Paint Dry (name TMed by Wakefield), a mono-white Wrath deck with a ton of removal, and win conditions that take many, many turns to seal the victory. My newest deck is Cowardice, with absolutely no kill outside of Pawnshop. :) It'll never work correct 'cept once or twice, but hey! It's annoying.

"... I'm such a bastard..."

H

Hetemti

I play any format.

As for decks, my R/W deck has never failed to impress my opponents nor myself, so it survives.

All other decks of mine must prove themselves worthy. If they lose three times in one week, or show weakness in the face of any particular deck archtype, it is melted down and sorted into it's components. They will then wait for their next incarnation in a new form.

D

Darsh

Zadok "hint hint"? Most of us already know you two play in the same group, he said so in his New Member post.

T

Thrash Golem

i play all of them i think..

Vs my friends:
multiplayer, i play a casual pestilence deck (3 enlightened tutors), and vs 1 person i play my casual burn deck (4 forks)

Vs people at the shop:
at the card shop i go to, i usually play my mb6th brawlers deck.. in multiplayer i use my pestilence deck yet again.

in tournaments:
i play lota stuff in tournaments. the commons tournament i borrowed an all common burn deck, in the t2 tournament i played control black (my first ever tournament win), and in he creature type i played my thallid deck.

i do enjoy winning but when it's hopeless i congratulate them on finally beating me after 400 games. j/k im not that good

J

Jaws10387

Tag guard

Ok i usually play duels and i win around 75% of the time or more agaist my friends. I still consider myself a casual player cause i've never been in a tourament.

A

Almindhra

I play in tournaments...Rarely do I get to play multi because our third wheel here doesn't like it...So I play 1-on-1 and play to win...I like to joke around and pick on my opponent...Thats why that guy I was just talking about won't play against me...I was even trying to help him this one time...

He was playing blue...My turn played a swamp...His turn played an island...Then Brainstormed...( No, he doesn't know how to play blue )...I told him that it would be wise to brainstorm on my turn because he could have a counterspell or something...He pretty much brushed off what I said with a "But this deck doesn't have counterspells"...I told him that I didn't know that...So next turn he brainstormed at the end of my turn...Or, maybe it was some turns later (I would hope so anyway)...And you can always tell when theres a counterspell in his hand...If there isn't, he'll always play something, and have his lands tapped...Oh well...Some people just don't get blue and its game...Ok, rant over...

So, at tournaments I'm bad...Playing wise...i always make stupid mistakes...And its because I'm a casual player at heart...All those "pros" do their crap and I get nervous...Oh well, I'm just not cut out for it...

Killer Joe

I once played in a multi-player game with Ally, she was playing Replenish (I know, it's so funny in a multiplayer game), but anyway, she was like down to 1 life and she went off and we all died. It's for those kind of reasons that Multi-player is my favorite format.

M

Mordecai

I like to do multiplayer but haven't done it in a while because a lot of the people in my local playgroup have stopped playing Magic. Duels are still fairly popular though. I do like to play in tournaments, though. I competed in the PTQ in Richfield recently.

My decks tend to be white-oriented, though some of my most successful decks haven't contained white. My most successful Magic deck is a G/r Elf deck that gears up for massive Rolling Thunders. (I got 500+ damage once.) Another deck I like is my Suicide Black deck with Pestilence for an alternative kill method. At the PTQ, I brought a U/w deck chock full of Drakes and Angels and Avatars, with some counterpower and a little white removal. I did OK, I beat about 90 people, but didn't come close to winning at 4-4. Doesn't bother me, I had lots of fun beating people down with Spiketail Hatchling, because they just didn't want to throw removal at it.

D

Duel

I play....
Well.....
I play anything I can.
Type 0, 1, 1.5, 2, MBC, etc.
And in any group that will take me.
Aww, you know how I play, Namielus

E

ErinPuff

Usually, my brother's the only person around to play with.. I only know a few people that play, and one of them really annoys me with his Timmy, Power Gamer-like playing style and deckmaking skill (he laughed at my monored goblin/burn deck because it only had one color and "the cards suck"), so I don't really like to duel him often.

G

galtwish

I play in tournaments about twice a month, and casually once a week with my playtest partner. We play random extended type decks and are just getting into 5Color. Whenever a new set comes out we draft a box or two between the two of us, and that is a lot of fun. Except for when I get real drunk and fall out of my chair and lose. That is fun, but I feel really bad in the morning because I buy all the cards (he's still in college and I have a real job) and I have a hangover. Magic is cool.

Erik

C

Cerberus

I play play multiplayer, sometimes I duel usaly what ever Zadok001 and Namielus are playing. As for decks I like to play fun decks that are unexpected at the table

D

DÛke

...do you guys meet over Apprentice or do you know each other in real life?

Anyway, I don't play a lot. The only time I play is probably the first month after a new set release.
I play T2 and MBC. Most of the times, I play casually, about twice a week, and after a month from the new set release, I probably would quit playing until the next set. How lame.

N

Namielus

We all go to the same school, so we play in real life, appretice doesn't work for multiplayer games. Plus apprentice doesn't work for anyother time of games either, apprentice just hates me

M

Mundungu

I play only one or twice a month 'cause I dont have any regular play group... only on tuesdays at the shop or local tournament.

The joy of working and being Married :) or :( depending on the point of view....

And diablo II recently almost put my cards ion the closet :)

But I am sure that Invasion will revive me.

I really love playing but hey .. if you dont know any other players it kinds of limits you...