How do you organize your collection?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I thought Gerode's cards were well organized...

Most of my cards are in boxes. There - are you happy?

N

NeuroDeus

I got a binder for all my rares and two boxes for commons/uncommons... And I got lots of cards sticking everywhere...

C

Cateran Emperor

Binder 1 = Current T2 legal rares & uncommons
Binder 2 = Foil Invasion set, 338 cards (so close, so very close...)
Binder 3 = Rares, Extended and previous
Big honkin' box - 4 of every common from The Dark on

Other than that, the word organized cannot be applied in any sense without adding a negative connotation...

M

Mr_Pestilence

Box 1: Lands and Artifacts, sorted alphabetically.
Box 2: Black cards, " ".
Box 3: Blue cards, " ".
Box 4: Green cards, " ".
Box 5: Red cards, " ".
Box 6: White and Gold cards " ".

I also have binders of complete sets from The Dark thru Urza's Destiny. When a set rotates out of type II, I put that set in a binder. I'm still working on Legends, Antiquities, Arabian nights and Unlimited.

I have tradable rares in a seperate binder, uncommons in a seperate box, and commons in two 3200 count boxes, which are nearly overflowing. These cards are sorted by color, but not alphabetized.

And one more thing: my collection of 1,000+ (I quit counting) Pestilences are in a seperate box.

It was lots of work to organize originally, but I can put my hands on any of my 30,000+ (I estimate) cards in seconds, provided I can remember the name of the card!

C

Chaos Turtle

I'd like to report that my cards are still all in the same room.

D

Duel

Believe it or not, that's a major step. Getting organized is easy. STAYING organized is hard.

C

Chaos Turtle

Tell me about it...

Today, I took one of my cards (a 5th-ed Grizzly Bears) out with me as a bookmark.

What a relief it is to have it in the same room with the rest of my cards again.

Tomorrow's mission: Get them all into the same corner of the room, pending armageddon... I mean, organization!

D

Duel

Should ragnarok come tomorrow, my cards will make a viable wall....

N

Neil Rigby

My collection is organised in an easy to maintain manner.

I take all rares I want to keep and put them somewhere (can't remember where usually, but they are definately somewhere).
Then I give the rest of my cards away, and any that I can't give away I throw into the bin.
When it comes to deck building, just find someone like Gizmo who can find any card in 10 seconds or less.
I currently have about 300 rares that I am selling/trading for next to nothing (about 50cents or less). I have even tried giving them away, but they are that bad I can't even do that. I will post a list in the trade section (what an idea:p)
The post Gizmo edited mearly spoke of how well endowed his is in the willy department :D

p.s. Unlucky Giz you can't edit this one i've changed my password :p

D

Duel

Yeah, the secret is to get someone else to look through your cards.

Wait a second. who is "willy", again?

C

Crackdown

What? Organize Magic cards with 4 kids? You ever try putting thousands of cards away neatly in those boxes?

[comes home from work and sees a hundred cards on floor of office with not-quite-6-year-old sitting on floor]

Um ... what are all these cards doing on the floor?

Hi Dad. I'm making a deck. I'm going to murdalize Philip (11 yr old).

Oh, well, will you put them away when you're done?

[grunts in reply]

[Works out on Treadmill, showers ..]

No. 1 son walks in ...

Dad, will you play a game of Magic with me?

Um...sure, but you brother wants to play with you.

Dad, he cheats. He doesn't know how to read and he took all your rares out the binders to make a deck.

I'm sure you can play with him, he's ... HE DID WHAT??

It's ok, Dad, he put them back in the boxes with the other cards on the floor. Will you make a deck to play with me?

Organize Magic cards? :)

H

Hetemti

You need a chamber with a lock and key.

What to put in it, the cards, or the kids, is your decision.

F

fuzzy510

All of my cards are in a binder, with cards from the oldest set in the front, and the cards are seperated by set, then put in numeric order. (Or alphabetically for the older sets)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wasn't this asked before? It had to have been because I said my cards are by set... oh well, no one else seems to be worried about it. Maybe it's not in Classic...

S

Sammy Dead-O

When I get new cards, I just set them on the coffee table, and my cat organizes them for me. I'm sure there's some order she uses, but I can't figure it out. She doesn't even stack them...