Hmm.... Hippos

• Thread starter Urza(Yes I Like Men)
  • Start date
U

Urza(Yes I Like Men)

Hey everyone, I've got another deck that's been winning recently but since I haven't played a lot of decks yet I'm not sure how well it'll work. I built this deck because I was tired of decks like tempo, liquid tempo, and draino coming in and actually winning. So i built a deck kinda like theirs but splashed some white for sideboard cards and some hippos and absorbs. I play more creatures then their deck does just becuz they play some burn while i just win with what i've got on the board... ok here's my deck list:
Land (22)-

6 Forests
4 Island
4 Elfhame Palace
4 Coastal Tower
2 Yavimaya Coast
2 Adarkar Wastes

Creatures (24)-

4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Blurred Mongoose
4 Gaea's Skyfolk
4 Wild Mongrel
4 Mystic Snake
4 Questing Pheldagrif

Others (14)-

4 Syncopate
4 Aether Burst
4 Fact or Fiction
2 Absorb

Sideboard (15-duh)
3 Disenchant
4 Gainsay
4 Meddling Mage
3 Bind
1 Deflection

It looks kinda shaky at first but after play testing I realize that the deck does go very fast. I usually have an answer to everything that matters and if I get out played then I look for some relief out of the sideboard. So far the better decks in Standard right now haven't done much at all...

G/R beats: Mongeese are untargetable and therefore their burn does nothing. Mongrel helps me keep up against their creatures... skyfolk usually just die in this match up. And the pheldagrif usually comes in for the kill after they put up a little bit of a fight. My suggestions sideboard out skyfolk and in with the meddling mages... everything else is easy.

U/G/?- This is why the deck was made... if it's Draino then syncopate and Aether burst are amazing. Flashback cards don't stand much of a chance against both of these. If it's tempo and they play the elephant tokens then same goes for it and if they choose for whatever reason not to then in come gainsay. Mongrel helps block the mongeese and almost never dies to them. If the deck is U/G/R then the hippos are great in the match up. Once again i'd have to suggest taking out the skyfolk for mages if they play flametongues or any burn. If it's U/G/B then the game's a little tougher... sideboard in binds to get rid of the damned pernicious deeds and sideboard in gainsay too. Some people say that deed will get this deck but if you play conservative and sideboard in binds then you should be fine.

Anything with ensnaring bridge: First game pray to counterspell it and attack like crazy before they can lock down your creatures. Second game means disenchant and that deck usually crumbles to it.

Balancing Tings- Although you have to know what you're doing... this match up is not very hard at all. Why? Because of Wild Mongrel and Questing Pheldagriff which both happen to mess up the combo. First the mongrel... if they balancing act then you can discard your hand to mongrel. Mongrel makes them lose their hand to the balancing act and that means no terravore :) . Next is the pheldagriff... if you give them some hippo tokens with your open green mana then you can keep as many permanents as you have green mana... very good.

Anything else playing blue has troubles with the mongeese and gainsays usually finish them off. Other beat down decks just don't have the control that this deck has and control gives you a huge advantage. U/B/W can't really do much to mongeese... hibernation kinda hurts but you should be able to counter it. Then aether burst some annoying creatures and take the game.

All in all it's a decent deck... definitely some weaknesses but i try to smooth those out with sideboard. The important part of this deck is to go fast enough that they can't react to all the creatures before you have counter magic... Mages stop Rages and Obliterates (thank god). So yeah... anything you think could beat it tell me and i'll see if i can make some space in sideboard... and any cards that you think would just work better tell me. Until next time I'll be playing a lot of Magic... hopefully.

T

Turtlewax Joe

How'd it do at FNM since i was at the soccer clinic? did ya win.again:(? and i hear williams got an Undermine...?

T.J.:p