Hiya Everybody!

N

Notepad

I've joined up because I'd like to write. I'm Sean Roney...some of you may remember some of the things I've done. One article at the defunct site VaultMag.com and the ever foul-mouthed "Mad Dog Rants" at TheDojo.com. I also wrote two articles for Scrye magazine back in the day. Most recently, you may have seen my name on the DCI suspended list. :D

It would be fun to write for the Magic community once again, especially for the part of it who enjoys casual games. Though I really have to say I'm concerned with this site's slant towards being concerned with Type II Magic. What is a casual site doing having the slightest care about the tourney environment?

T

theorgg

Team (pardon the speech, ya'll-- but this is the team name) Psycho F*i*g B*S*T*RDS, right?

I've been wondering what the 'ell happened to you! I actually looked up your old team site and tried to e-mail you at madcanine@yahoo.com.

I remember your articles. I also realized just about anyone can work for Scrye, and the fact that two of our members are also published in there proves the point! :[ )

from http://www.wizards.com/dci/judge/main.asp?x=suspended
Sean Roney - 96933302 - King City, CA USA - 2002/04/10 -2007/04/10 - Fraudulent Tournament Reports
:mad: Dayumn. Not too good of a intro into this here place, as trust will have to be built on... and cheating isn't somthing that's taken lightly-- anywhere.

Anyway, Welcome to the Casual Players' Alliance, Mad Dog.

As for the tournament enviroment, most of us do follow it, and many of us can play fairly well-- I'm a level one, and several people routinely post tournament reports. Currently, I'm working on my Torment reporrt! You don't find much Magic talk on the boards nowadays, though. some people have simply quit coming, and the articles some people wright go out to Starcity, usually. I really hope you start wrighting for us, cheater or not. I do remember you had a very casual stint in ya,' and as long as cheating isn't advocated in your articles(or profanity)... I'tll probably be benificial.

-Orgg
creator of Mr. T vs Magic: the gathering

P.S. If you want to elaborate on your newly-checker'd past, go ahead. How P*co F*ing B*s*ds was busted up, to your fraudulent tournament reports, and all in between.

N

Notepad

I'd like to first clarify the suspension. I am not a cheater. And if you look at the charge I got fried for, it isn't cheating. I don't advocate cheating, and never will. As most people experienced with the DCI know, the charge of "Fraudulent Tournament Reports" is done to fluff up one's tournament rating, and thus get advatages like the free byes. Since my DCI number is public knowledge now (96933302), it is easy to go to www.thedci.com and check out my rating. My final Constructed rating was 1610. My final Vintage rating was 1689. My final Limited rating was 1690. These are pretty average scores, and certainly not reflective of somebody who was using fake tourneys to pump his DCI rating.

So...what in the world was I doing? Yes, I am guilty of the charge of turning in fraudulent tournament reports. I only have my testimony to back me up, since I doubt Chris Zantides will release any info, but I mean it when I say "it was with good intentions." I was running tournaments in a small town where we rarely had the minimum of 8 players to run a sanctioned tournament. However, everyone wanted to play in a sanctioned tournament where their performance was recorded. That, and I myself wanted to attract attention to the area's tournaments. If there were no tournaments in the DCI records, then people wouldn't even know the area had tournaments. And yes, there was a bit of attention from new players all because they saw tourney records having gone on, as they were outside of the local player's "clique" and had to find out about local tourneys through the DCI website. It was my decision, and by the rules of the DCI, an illegal decision. Because of continued low turnout, I stopped running tournaments in September. Then, in October, a tournament in a nearby city was missing its coordinator, and I had to help out. However, it was a 7 player tourney, so a placeholder was needed. I decided to use Al Sanson (he's suspended along with me) as the placeholder. He actually did run fraudulent tourneys for a point advantage, and nobody really liked him anyway. When he found out he got angry with me, I got angry with him, and we both double-KO'd each other by alerting the DCI to the other's activities.

To the DCI's discredit, they had no idea of anything going wrong, even with hideously obvious patterns in both of our fraudulent reports. I went a bit fruther and pointed out my patterns to the DCI, hoping to help them in determining who fraudulent event runners are. I have no idea if they've incorporated that info into their tracking system they say they have. You can see that Sanson not only had a higher rating than I did, but had gone to events where his fraudulently high rating gave him free byes. A little bit of investigation will reveal that. He did things for corrupt reasons, since he was a cheater. I, however, made really bad choices in what I thought was helping players.

I could still be considered a cheater by hardcore rules followers/lawyers, but I feel I am not. The overall result is that I was willing to sacrifice my own record just to make the local players happy, and ended up doing so. Sanson and I were the only two local tourney organizers, and because of our loss, there haven't been sanctioned tournaments anymore in this "south county" area, though there have been a few more tourneys in the northern areas.

Well, that took up a lot, but I wanted to make it known that I am not a cheater by the "breaking rules for an advantage" definition, however, I still am a person who broke the rules in a major way, so I can still be considered a cheater by some. Fine by me, as long as its known that its more of a gray issue than a black and white one.

Should I write up an article like this? Would the CPA site benefit from a "Game Ethics" article? Like I said, I don't advocate cheating. I also don't advocate doing what I did.

After learning about the ineptitude of the DCI and the shortfallings of sanctioned tournaments (they really aren't too great compared to other options), I do advocate just ignoring the DCI and doing things privately. Non-sanctioned tournaments have always been much more interesting to me. Battle cirlces, Vanguard cards, Portal cards, Peasant Magic, the list goes on and on with the things that are much more fun than running a static DCI tournament. I am getting ready to help a local store owner run some private tournaments. I can definitely write articles about that, and am thinking about doing so when the tournaments begin. Imagine a Tribes Tournament report, which would be better suited to the CPA site than a normal tournament site, and all at the same time keeping the flavor of a casual game with it.

Yeah, Scrye is pretty easy to write for, though I have been saddened to see their content drop off considerably in the past few years. It must be hard to have readable content for all the games out there, but they do shoot themselves in the foot when every editor and assistant editor lines up and does their "best of X set" (where X is the latest Magic set). Come on...two dozen Top Ten lists about the latest set is too much wasted space. At that point, an article about Wyvern strategy would have served the death of a tree much better. (Wyvern's a very old game...dead...if anybody can't remember back that far).

TPFB just basically puttered out because none of us members paid much attention to upkeep of the site. None of us even remember the site's password, so we can't edit it or do anything. Not that any of us would want to. ;) Everyone in that former team still plays Magic, and we still play casual games quite regularly, with the addition of some other players. We even play other games every once in a while...Jyhad, Rage, Wyvern, D&D, Pokemon. The thing is, we aren't a hardcore "Offend the Masses" type of group like we used to be.

That previous sentence certainly means I've calmed down a lot. I am able to write something without cussing every other sentence. Amazing, eh? :D

T

theorgg

Not amazing... and I can understand that, while technically cheating, it could have been done intending for the best...

Welcome, Mad Dog.

Also, the CPA could benifit from ANY amount of articles. Check the front page for evidence!

There's actually some really good stuff in the archives. Just to sound a little cocky(as some pro's around here have said to do) check out my articles first!(then ignore 'em and go onto somthing without as much ranting and meaninglessness).

Also, the interviews are accredited to me, but they were really the work of the ENTIRE CPA at that time... so don't count me as anything but an Editor(though I put into that a TON of work, so give me some credit! You should have seen the thirty-page printout of NON-STUPID NON-DUPE questions!!! WHEW!)

Glad to have you, Cheetz. ;)

I hope you'll stick around here, as you seem to be a good fit-- and a even better wrighter than the normal wrighters here... sadly. Y'know, read the archives-- we had some great wrighters!

N

Notepad

Well, I just submitted an article. What I hope can be a column here, "Team M94".

There wasn't a "notes/comments" field on the submission form, so I just wanted to say that everyone in M94 is fictional, except me. So, all that stuff I write about poor Lewis is made up for humor purposes. I hope there's no players out there who are actually like him. ;)

BTW~ My email isn't madcanine@yahoo.com. I stopped using Yahoo because it froze up my puter a lot. My address is now:

kwbishop@hotmail.com

Glad to have you, Cheetz.
Aw jeez! That'd be pretty funny to have my user title be something along the lines of that. I'll have to think up something and request it in the request/test forum. :D I don't want to parade as a poster boy for cheating...but I think it'd be funny to laugh in the face of it all. I don't like the DCI, so I don't care about being suspended. All the better, now I don't have to debate over going to sanctioned or private tourneys/games. The choice is automatic for me. ;) It also helps me focus more on casual gaming instead of having to spend time memorizing the latest DCI rules to run tourneys smoothly.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome!

We had a discussion a while back on your sort of suspension but I don't know if it was your case specifically that was discussed. Just general thoughts, really.

And I still have my Wyvern cards ;)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Wow, someone I've heard of(not in a bad way, though).

Welcome!

Normally, I would give you a room key or a hole in the ground to live in, but I am fresh out of both. SO, I am now leasing out places in space for people to reside in for their stay in the CPA.

Your space in next to the space that's next to the space that's next to the space next to pluto. It's a long walk, better get started now.

But, enjoy the CPA. I am your local randomness troll(pigeon has been copyrighted by the folks at dinky-poo superstore, so troll will have to work for now). If you are looking for stupid, random stuff, just ask and I'll throw sea bass down Spiderman's tights.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
OH-NO! SPIDERMAN'S TIGHTS ARE TOO TIGHT!!!!! HE'S NOT GETTING ANY CIRCULATION TO HIS ANKLES!!!!! HANG ON LITTLE GUYS!!!!! I'LL SET YOU FREE!!!!!!!

*Ransac starts chasing Spiderman around with a hatchet. Spiderman is clearing fuming over the fact that his web-shooters are empty. Spiderman curses his new tights that don't have room for replacement cartridges, as well.*

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Spiderman realizes that all he has to do is drop trou, which he does and thus diffuses the situation

:D

N

Notepad

Thanks all, this looks like a kind place. And Ransac...I'll take that space next to Pluto, but I'll use it for a "summer cottage" so that way I don't have to commute that distance every day. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Chaos Turtle is cured of his blindness when he realizes that Spiderman had on his spider biker shorts underneath

N

Notepad

>> 06-19-2002 05:41 PM

Wow, hard to believe its been well over a year now. Here's to another year, and another after that, and another...

:D :D ;) :D :D ;) :D :D

N

Nightstalkers

A year ago Spidey was less a machine.

Now he is not a person at all. :(

N

Notepad

>> Now he is not a person at all.

What do ya mean by that??? He got taken by the Borg?

S

Svenmonkey

He's still our friendly messageboard Spiderman and always will be.