History

• Thread starter Cateran Emperor
  • Start date
C

Cateran Emperor

Okay everyone, brush off those old History notes from middle and high school.

Everyone who's participating has until next Sunday, November 12th to prepare. (I'd do it sooner, but Yale Model Congress is this Thursday-Sunday so I won't be here)

You can expect questions on both US and World History, but I'll try and keep it mainly world history for anyone non-American who might be participating. There won't be any essay questions, since I don't feel like reading them. Everything will either be simple or complex recollection problems ("who was the general of this army during this war" and such), or something more complex (I'll describe a historical situation, then ask something like "how could such and such have won this battle")

I'll give everyone a hand and tell you in advance what time period the question will involve. PM me the answers, points will go for speed and accuracy, but for the second type of question I will have the final say on which answers are best based on creativity and which ones could have worked. Be prepared to defend any answer, since I reserve the right to challenge them as a devil's advocate. Any questions for me can be posted here.

N

nodnarb24

You really shouldn't do points on speed because people get on at different times.

C

Cateran Emperor

Hmm, didn't think of that initially. Okay, scratch points for time then.

G

Gerode

I'm in.

Any Midieval, Renaissance, or Reformation questions? [me] crosses his fingers. [/me]

T

Thrash Golem

i cant play cuz im canadian. all i know is we burned down the white house at one time or another.

A

Apollo

Heh.

I suppose I'll play. History never was my strong suit, but I'll fake it.

C

Cateran Emperor

You are correct Mr. dw sir! D'oh, shouldn't watch old SNL episodes with Phil Hartman while I do this :D

M

Multani

I know I posted this somewhere, but I'll post it again.
I'll play.

R

Riva Iron-Grip

Spiderman actually that did happen. it happened while george washington was in the office. the canadians burnt down about half of the white house.

T

terzarima

You should do canadian history no one would get it! :)

Well anyway count me in as well, I have a couple history buff friends and family members who can help me out (that is okay right?)

C

Cateran Emperor

About the Canadians burning the White House thing, that depends on whether you consider them Canadian or British at the time, as Canada was still a colony. That's the sort of question I'd award points for either side if you can justify it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Riva: You better point me to where you're getting your info, because there WAS no White House when George Washington was in office. It was in the planning stages and maybe was being built, but John Adams or Thomas Jefferson wwas the first to live in it. I believe the only time it was burned was by the British during the War of 1812.

G

Gerode

Of course they burned the White House down! Just like when the Canadians blew up the Empire State building and invaded Poland!

C

Cateran Emperor

Okay everyone, let's get started. From the timestamp on this post, you have 48 hours to PM me your answer.

I'm gonna start this off very easy with stuff you can simply look up anywhere...

Question 1:
A: What is the only 3rd party to win the Presidency of the United States?

B: How many cities did Alexander the Great found and name after himself?

C

Cateran Emperor

A: Interestingly, no one got this. The answer is the Republican party. Back in 1860, the 2 major paties were the Whigs(modern Democrats) and the Democrats(modern Republicans). The Republican Party of that day was a third party, and President Lincoln of the Repulicans was the only third party President that I know of (others would also have been Republicans)

B: Due to sketchy history of that period, I accepted any number from 13-17.