Highlander Two-Headed Giant

G

Goblin

Hi everybody.

I'm hoping for some help constructing a deck for an upcoming Highlander Two-Headed Giant event at the local store with a Legacy card pool.
My friend very much likes to play huge creatures with trample or some form of evasion, so I figure I'll want a deck that let's us survive for a while and possibly pave a way for her big hitters to swing for the win.

I haven't started putting cards together yet, but at the moment I'm contemplating a W/U/B build that'll give me
a) countermagic and bounce to stop their biggest threats
b) Propaganda and similar effects to keep them from attacking
c) creature and enchantment/artifact removel

and maybe
d) things like Hissing Miasma to deter attacks

Do I need Control Magic-like spells? Is it sensible to try the Propaganda route with only a few Propaganda-like effect that affect more that one creature? Does my idea sound like something workable, or do you think it's be doomed from the start?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

G.

J

jorael

Time Stop and cards that give you extra turns work VERY well. Add some if you got them :D

The Mercadian Masques Pirates (Rishadan Brigand, Rishadan Footpad, Rishadan Cutpurse) are also very nice. They tax both opponents.

Withdraw is a nice bounce card that abuses tapping out or saves multiple creatures.

Rhystic Study completes the taxing theme ;)

L

Limited

If the other head is playing green fatties, I think you could build a very nasty UB deck with only two kinds of cards: Countermagic (for spells/creatures that threaten those fatties) and mass weenie removal.
I'd play Infest, Massacre, Mutilate and Hideous Laughter. If you splash a little white, Culling Sun would also be great. Perhaps Forced March?

UR would also be an option.. Combining Countermagic with Earthquake, Pyroclasm and Starstorm.

I think that effects like Control Magic would really work together with weenie removal; it gives you a way to handle big creatures that get past your countermagic.

Could you post the other head's deck?

G

Goblin

Man, we're way behind with the decks.

Well, the other head's deck is probably going to look something like the following. I'm still trying to thin out the deck a little but I'm not sure what I wan't to remove (and if I'm allowed to :) ).

Creatures:
I'm thinking we could lose some of the pump spells, or replace them with cheaper versions that don't grant trample.

Also, if I want to play weenie removal, we should probably lose the cheap mana critters in favor of some more mana artifacts.

What about land fetch? Do we need that with so many other mana sources? Drop all the mana permanents I listed in favor of more lands and land fetch?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for ideas and criticism.

Goblin

L

Lythand

Just remember, even though is Highlander, you can still have spells with simular abilities, but different names.

Like counter spell..and arcane denial. Both counter, different names. Slight differences in the spells

J

Jareth, Goblin King

The mana sources are good I wouldn't worry about more land. Also I would replace Fog Patch with Tangle. Not letting your opponets creatures untap is a nice bonus.

M

mythosx

are you running any artifact or enchantment removal? most two headed giant games I play in some one is usually running control.

G

Goblin

Hello, all.

It's me again with another version of the damage dealing head. Here is what we are currently looking at for the B/G big-damage, trample deck.

That's exactly 100 cards. So far the mana hasn't been a problem, but I'm worried that 34 lands in 100 card deck are too few. But then we have the mana elves and artifacts...

Anyway, the other head...
I've been playing around mainly with a W/B/U build. Heavy on the counterspells and bounce, some black creature removal, and white artifact/enchantment removal. I have been fiddling, but I can't seem to find a mixture that I'm comfortable with. Also, I'm trying to smoothly tie in some card drawing...

Now, my biggest problem with all this is that I can't practice 2HG except in goldfish mode...

G

Goblin

So, the tournament is over.

First of all I want to say Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions or just took interest.

We ended up with a 2-2-1 record. My final deck (counter/mass removal) turned out to be a little light on mana, and of the games we didn't win, all three were games in which I was reduced to being a spectator (through a combination of not drawing the mana I wanted together with a semi-permanent land-tap from Rishadan Port and some permanent-tappers in one game and some rather harsh land destruction in the other two). The games we won were games in which I had the mana I needed to keep our opponents in check. :)

I admit that afterwards I'm not overly surprised we had trouble against good opposing control, but I was surprised by the amount of land destruction we faced. (Btw, the two land destruction decks we faced took first and second place, with the second place losing their only game to the first place team. So it seems we weren't the only ones unprepared for that. :) )