High school

F

FmK-AnC

is anyone here still in highschool? anyone about to graduate... i am... well not that soon... but a couple years... and im so worried im gonna lose all my friends, i mean i dont have a lot but i can still lose them... has anyone else experienced this? if you have tell me what happend in the end...

Ferret

Staff member
With one notable exception (my best friend) I lost track of all of my high school friends within two years (mostly because I moved out of state for a year). It happens. This is why you want to make sure you exchange email addresses/phone numbers/fingerprints as soon as possible so you don't lose touch w/ them...

-Ferret

"...but remember that you'll be making friends your whole life, so there's always room for more..."

M

Mazzak

Instant messenger's done wonders for me keeping in touch with my peeps from high school. Going to the same college as one or two of them also helps. Also we have little reunions at anime conventions by all staying in the same hotel room. Cuts costs, gets very nostalgic, and also is quite against fire safety regulations...
I have lost track of a lot of them though. Mostly those who aren't online a lot. A lot of the time people just grow apart too. But usually, when you lose track of some you gain some new ones. I spend every night now jamming with my new peeps in a common room, making unnecessarily lewd jokes, playing magic and running an rpg.
Just like old times, but with (mostly) new people...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't keep in touch with any of my high school friends and its been over a decade. I just lost touch or interest. But like people said, you alway make more...

T

train

I keep in touch with a few... mainly those I went to church with...

*eyes glaze over...*
Just seems that everyone who bashed me in high school will view me as their supreme ruler when my plan is complete!!!...

Oh did I say that...

Honestly - if they're your friends - you shouldn't lose touch with them... but some circumstances will arise and some will drift apart...

Just remember -

Friends will help you move...
Real friends will help you move a body!...

;)

M

Mazzak

friends will help you move. real friends will help you move a body. good friends will help convert an enemy into a body. good friends with strong stomachs will help you get rid of it...

S

Svenmonkey

Too bad turning the enemy body of my English teacher would land my friends and I in jail...

Anyway, I'm not afraid I'll lose all my friends at all. Heck, I lose and gain friends every year just because of the patterns of free periods on my schedule. And every kid I know is going to an in-state college except one who's going to Hawaii to get away from his parents, regardless of how his parents give him appeasement money. I'd trade these old stinge-bag parents of mine for appeasing parents any day.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I keep in touch via AIM with a really good friend of mine, hes about to go on his mission for 2 years though:( but when he comes back he'll be attending UMBC so thats good. Hey X, next time you're up in MD we should try to get as much of the old gang together as possible and have a night of large multi-player magic games:D Although I miss my old friends, I've made many new ones, you always do, and if you're going to college it is a great place to meet new people.

M

Mazzak

next time I'll be in MD will probably be for Otakon, and since so many gravitate to MD for that we could likely have a nice big event. We sharl see aboot it...

A

Aku Necromancer

I have made the transition from high school to college, and everything that I am going through right now seems to have cluttered what was once more simple... the past is well lost...

High school was so easy, I had a core group of friends. It was cake to be friends with other people, You both knew you were friends, and that was it. There was no such thing as second-guessing, you knew who your friends were, and you loved them. Something you didn’t have to worry about. College life tore this apart, for me at least. Everyone went there seprate ways, yet we all promised each other to keep in touch, never happened.

I guess after High school everyone is at a time of new beginnings with other people...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Otakon is end of July right? Hell I might find a way to go to that.

I sort of experienced this this year, I had to move from MD to Massachusetts. I also moved from a school where noone (at least no one interesting) lived in the same town as me to a school system localized to our town. So my friends here are all a lot closer than my old friends were (not to mention are).

I didn't really get a whole lot of experience in that whole high school thing, I only just started seeing my friends a whole lot out of school and then I had to move. oh well. at least here that sort of thing will be easier, and anyway I'm also having a good time with IMs.

Hopefully college will be good to me too.

N

Nightstalkers

I should get rid of the dead cheerleader in my locker...

*Drops bloody meat hook onto floor*

You just exchange information and get together with 'em... I myself have moved around enough to know that you don't keep up with people most of the time. But thats the whole thing with moving.

just keep in touch and you'll have all of the friend you need outside the bitter halls of the dead and unworthy... I mean school.

Killer Joe

The fact of the matter is this: Right now you're friends with people at your school because you have to go to school there and are forced to deal with your environment and those who are in it. In other words, you're thrown into this mix and have to make the best of it.

In college, at least you're able to make more of a narrow bandwidth of your enviornment, maybe you'll hang out with folks because you share a common interest/Major.

IRL, you get to make all the choices. You get to choose if you want to hang out with friends from work, or old college or High School buddies, etc... Essentially, you get to choose who you want to hang out with and because of that you'll make "Life-Long" friends.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your present friendships aren't important to you right now because thay are, it's just that friendships as an adult are different and what matters to you now in your friendships are not necessarily the same later in life.

"Woodsy" (a life-long friend) and I met in high school. We were marching band/Drum Corps fanatics. After high school we marched in drum corps and kept in-touch with other because we used to see each other on tour (He marched with the 27th Lancers from Revere, MA and I marched with the Blue Devils from Concord, CA). And after that, we taught competitive high school marching bands in the same circuit and saw each other every saturday night during the fall during marching band season.

But I gotta tell you, if it wasn't for that 'common interest' we would have surely drifted apart.

The reunions are a nice thing to attend. My tenth year reunion was F-U-N and my wife couldn't believe the kind of folks I hung out with becuase I'm so different now.

Ask yourself this; are your 'life-long' interests really the same as some of your friends? Be true to thine self first!

Congrats to all of you 2003 grads! There will never another senior class like you.

Z

Zhaneel

Yay, 2003...

Finally decided where I'm going. That only took forever.

My friends at school are mostly my friends because I need friends to survive. I might keep in touch with some of them, but I'm not terribly optimistic. Same thing happens at camp every year. My church friends are a bit different. I hope.

N

Nightstalkers

always remember that your fellow cpaers are still your friends, no matter how far away they are.

We are still your friend Zhaneel! don't give up on us.

F

FmK-AnC

its funny i was reading the first post on this wondering why it looked farmiliar lol... life used to seem so simple... now i drive... now everythings going to hell... it seems impossible to do anything with anyone... im so sick of it i hate it... i want to keep life the way it is but a little simpler

D

DÛke

...wait until you get to college.

...and wait until you graduate. You'll see what it means to be "the real world" - in very short, it means, the lack of self and the abstainment from all simple happiness into the webs of every invention and convention the world will impose on you.

My advice to you...is enjoy where you are at now since you like it so much.

As for you signature, it is really more appropriate to say:

"We only believe what we believe ourselve to know."

:)