Here's your "American"...

B

Baskil

Has anyone thought about the possibility that Afganastan doesn't have the ability to bring Bin Laden to the coalition? Or that he might have fled Afganastan before Iran closed their borders? What then. Well, I know what would happen then. We'd still attack Afganastan, claiming that they're protecting him. :rolleyes:

D

DÛke

...watch the news constantly, Bush seems to be having the "give him up, or suffer" attitude, which I whole-heartedly dislike, if not hate.

First, I don't even GET what Bush means by "give him up," because he has no proof whatsoever about who exactly is responsible for the incident. Everything is still a (strong) speculation, and like all other normal human beings, Bin Ladin should be treated fairly and with justice. Until a solid proof is obtained, f^<k off...

Second, let's suppose that Afgan wont give anything up. What's the plan? Bomb them all? They have nothing to lose, so even if your point of view is "who cares about the innocent," realize this: they've already lost everyting; their houses, buildings, and whatever. They've already suffered enough. If you think it's justice to make the suffering suffer some more, than I'm afraid you're wrong, and that will make the U.S. even more "evil" in many countries' eyes. I'm sure you don't want to ruin the United States' already not-so-hot reputation...especially in the Middle East.

Third, Bush wants to use Pakistan's millitary base or whatever...and Pakistan is not letting him. Bush is not taking that very well. He has no right at all to use anyone's millitary base. Pakistan and Afgan are close countries. They're like brothers, so it should be obvious why Pakistan is not willing to help in anyway in the war (or whatever) against Afgan. They've been close relatives, and if the U.S. wants to f^<k with Afgan, then they shouldn't expect any help from the "relatives" of that country. It's not fair, and by refusing to help the U.S., Pakistan has done more justice than any other country has in a long, long time...so pay your respects.

Fourth, I do not, in ANY way, respect Bush's statement (indirect quote): "...treat Muslims and Arabs as though they're normal...", WTF is that suppose to mean? That they're some kind of mutants or something - perhaps a lower life form? He shouldn't have said that, because THAT statement is supposed to universally understood anyway, and by saying it, he's implying that "they're not normal," but "treat them normally ANYWAY."

Fifth, I've been watching a lot of news. I watch the Arabic news from the Arabian channels, and the American news from CNN and such. I see some differences between the news they bring, but I wont go on talking about that. Additionally, I've seen a lot of people in CNN that actually KNOW what they're talking about. Heck, I've seen a lot of normal citizens that're able to think better than Bush, and these people have LOST members in the tragedy! I respect these people. They didn't let anger and vengence invade them, and even at these times and with lost friends and relatives, they're still able to think rationally. Amazing, amazing, amazing human beings - they should be rewarded in everyway a human can be rewarded.

It's interesting seeing how Arab news and U.S. news seem to agree on major statements, while completely disagree on others. It's interesting seeing how different people bringabout different important views. Really gets me thinkin'.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've been reading the news every day and from what I gathered Pakistan agreed to let their country be used a staging point for an invasion of Afghanistan. Let me rephrase that: the leader of Pakistan agreed but there's significant opposition among the Pakistinis about that.

I disagree with your interpretation of Bush's comment. I agree it might have been phrased better, but if he didn't say anything at all, I bet a lot would have viewed that as tacit support for Muslim/Arab hate crimes. And I think some people are NOT treating them as "normal" (as other Americans) so they are being differentiated right now.

D

DÛke

...he AGREED? I must have missed somehow! He gave it a lot of thought...and surely his decision was backed by his fearing the United States.

Spiderman, I don't like that statement Bush said. Period. It's just my point of view. I think it mostly has to do with the way he phrased it. Chaos Turtle would have said it better...HECK, Ransac may even have the chance of saying better....

C

Chaos Turtle

I believe his decision was backed by a promise to lift sanctions in return. Remember that the UN is punishing them for conducting nuclear tests some time ago.

I don't know about the Bush quote. Not having seen or heard it in its entirety or context, I can't put any kind of spin on it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Knowing that hate crimes are being committed across the nation against Muslims/Arab people, how would YOU phrase it to discourage such acts?

D

DÛke

"Being one nation, sharing the same land, and following the same rules, we MUST treat each other with respect and complete understanding. What has happened is a crime and WILL be treated by the U.S. government, and my heart is with ALL those that lost a friend or a relative in this tragedy, BUT we must not let it get in the way of our near future. We must move on. We must live. We must, and will, prosper. The government will take care of this problem, and see that it'll never occur ever again. Not on the U.S. grounds. Not on ANY grounds.

Treat EACH AND EVERY individual with the respect he or she deserves, for it's NOT the fault of ANY individual. No. It's the fault of a group of outraged criminals.

We CANNOT, and never will, be united...if we let something like this tear us apart. Love and help EVERYONE setting a foot on the U.S. grounds.

No Muslim shall be blamed. No American shall be blamed. NO ONE is to be blamed. We will blame this only, only, ONLY those who did it, disregarding their religions, backgrouds, and nationalities...for it all ends up to us being the SAME EXACT human beings, sharing ONE fate, and ONE Earth.

God bless America..."

NOTHING like:

"Treat muslims normally..."

He later said:

"...treat them...with the respect they deserve..." and that was beautiful, but "...normally..."? I HATE THAT. It's JUST me...not many Muslims took offense to it, but I'm not alone. It's no big deal...it's something that bugged me, so I shared it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That was pretty good...

Was Bush speaking "from the cuff" when he made those remarks? He's had to clarify what he's said before, like referring to the war against terrorism as a "crusade".