Help me I'm a no talent hack!

M

Mikeymike

Good it worked, I'm building a multiplayer deck tonight for our session tomorrow.

Its a R/W About Face deck, and I'd like some really wacky ideas. Here's what I have so far (if the quantities seem weird its b/c its restricted or that's all I own). FYI-I'm not really expecting this thing to win that often.

Card Total--Looking for about 70, up to 65.

Creatures 19
3 Dwarven Thamaturgists
4 Trenching Steeds
4 Task Force
4 1/5 Angels from Destiny
2 Mother of Runes
2 Shaman en-Kors (for the Task Force)

Permanents 6
2 Knighthoods
2 Glorious Anthems (soon to be 3)
1 Land Tax
1 Zuran Orb

Spells 17
4 About Face
3 Disenchants
4 Lightning Bolts
3 Planar Births
2 Earthquakes
1 En. Tutor

Mana 23
2 Kjeldoran Outposts (for the Births)
1 Mox Diamond
2 Plateaus
6 Mountains
12 Plains

The kill is to MoR the Steed, sac lands, Swap P/T, Planar Birth. This way I can rebuild quickly to mow down the next player. It has solid defense, but not that much bite.

This thing is weak, but I'm having a brain fart right now and I can't think of anything better. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mike

K

K1

Do you have a Balance?

Not as effective if you plan to planar birth as all their lands will come back to, but its a fun multiplayer card.

M

Mikeymike

I do have Balance, but the one thing that worries me is that this deck needs creatures to survive and I stand a good chance of losing everything (lots of creature-lite decks floating around the group recently).

R

rkoelsch

Try Angelic Protectors they have the same task force ability plus flying for evasion. Put them in instead of Tormented Angel. And they are a 2/2 normally so can bink respectfully without the about face.

M

Mikeymike

Nice call on the Protectors, if I remember correctly they also have the cool DiTerlizzi art. I'm a sucker for purty pictures.

A

Apollo

Ahh, the Protector. If you ever Lightning Bolted one of those things three times, you'll come to hate and despise it as much as I do. It was even in a tournament, one of the low points of my Magic career.

Anyway, I'd add some stuff to target the Protector repeatedly, except that names won't come to mind right now. Jade Monolith, maybe?

Apollo

M

Mikeymike

Apollo, or anyone who knows, quick Question.

I Dwarf or About Face the Protector, I'm assuming the triggered effect goes on top of Swap effect on the stack, turning it into a 2/5, then swapping to a 5/2. Am I correct?

M

Mikeymike

If I'm running 4 TF's and 4 AP's I could run the new Prophecy Haste giver, which helps the Dwarves too. But then I need more red mana. Thran Forge could work too.

K

krichaiushii

If you target your Angelic Protector with an Anaba Shaman or some other red pinger, you can probably make him really big. Plus, said shooters can remove all the annoying utility creatures people like to play.

The Avatar of Hope is a 4/9, which is good for Facing About.
And a grand blocker, too boot!

Bloodshot Cyclops? Subterranean Spirit? Holy Armor or Armor of Faith?

Instead of Land Tax, maybe Oath of Lieges? It may be a bit slower, but it is a fun multiplayer card, which you can always take advantage of due to the Trenching Steed. Besides, the Oath of Lieges lets you find a basic land and put it in play, in addition to any land you may play normally.

Rivalry! You will be saccing lands like a fool, so the Rivalry will not affect you. But your opponents will take damage... Rathi Dragon helps keep your land count down, as do other cards, but that may be another deck...

That's all for now. Good luck!

D

Duel

Actually, mikeymike, I don't think it matters. I believe the reading ends up beign that when you about face a card, the effects that normally target toughness target power and vice versa, meaning that either it swaps, and then affects power, or that it affects toughness, then swaps. Either way...

M

Mikeymike

Thanks guys, I forgot all about that. That is going to save me many ruling headaches.

Krichaiushii--Those are some killer ideas, the Oath of Lieges especially. QUESTION: OofL says target opponent, is that each upkeep or when its played? I wanted to put the Bloodrock Cyclops in here but I own ZERO, I'm going to have to find a 4pack on ebay.

I'm debating the Avatar of Hope b/c I'm worried about the CC, considering I probably won't have to many lands I won't be able to drop her until after a late game Planar Birth.

Direct damage I'm also worried about b/c most of the creatures have 2 power which is 2 toughness in this deck. 1 ping puts them 1 toughness.

Rivalry and Rathi Dragons are risky b/c of the RR in the CC, but they would work well. But I think you're right, that is another deck all together.

This thing is starting to shape up.

K

krichaiushii

Regarding the Oath of Lieges, I believe it is every upkeep. This is based on how I have seen the other Oaths work in larger games. Granted, I think I have proven that not all of views on the rules are official (see Cumulative Upkeep...), but I have always played it choose during upkeep, and no one has yet to complain.

Rivalry only costs 2R to cast, and only really works with your Trenching Steeds. I think that I shall have to post a Rivalry deck..

And don't forget that the Avatar of Hope has an ACC, albeit a dangerous one. What about more artifact mana? The red and white diamond, maybe a Sol Ring? Sisters of Flame?

Hope these help.

M

Mikeymike

Yeah, I guess I should put a Sol Ring in w/ some Diamonds. I was trying to make this one of my few decks w/o a Sol Ring :(. Your right about Rivalry, that makes it much more appealing. I also think your right on the Oath, b/c that is how Land Tax works too.

H

Hawaiian mage

Have you tried Ghitu War cry so you can keep targeting a Task force and then about face makeing a really powerfull creature. If you target only 2 times, then use about Face, it becomes a 12/3 uuntill end of turn. That should work well in this deck.

M

Mikeymike

War Cry is IN, thanks man. I didn't even think of that card and I love it.

M

Mikeymike

Unlikely Alliance--Alliances
1W
Enchantment
1W: Target non-attacking, non-blocking creature gets +0/+2 UEOT.

The bonus is not lost if the creature becomes an attacker or blocker later in the turn. Its to prevent sneaky combat stuff.

This will work super nicely w/ the task force and angelic protectors. Better than the Ghitu War Cry b/c the mana is easier for me to handle, and it targets toughness (which becomes power).

R

rkoelsch

If I am not mistaken Phil Foglio did the art for that. I always wanted a deck I could put that in

M

Mikeymike

My personnal favorite Foglio piece is the Portal Prosperity. I think Phil and Kaja did it together (how sweet).

Oh--Coffin Queen too by Kaja, that card is a classic.