Haunted Angel; Why?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Haunted Angel
2W
Creature — Angel
Flying
When Haunted Angel is put into a graveyard from play, remove Haunted Angel from the game and each other player puts a 3/3 black Angel creature token with flying into play.
3/3

I can not find a good reason to play this in any deck. I admit that it is an interesting twist on the Penumbra ability, and I wish they would have explored this more. However, I dont think it was thought about enough; if it was cc'ed at WW it would have been worthwhile. Can anyone find a use for this?

J

Jake74

I agree with you, FoR...
This card would quickly be cut from our set. :)

I just don't think a 3/3 flyer for 3 is worth that drawback...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you pair it with Reins of Power (for MP) or any 'gain control' spell, it might be worth it.

or that red? spell that does damage to creatures put in play...

D

Darth Dunk

I like getting this in limited. Sure, in constructed it's pants, but in sealed or draft it's cool.

Z

Zadok001

I actually consider Haunted Angel a high-quality card. Aside from simple combos like Yawgmoth's Agenda or Planar Void, a deck running this angel will almost certain run her 1W more expensive 4/4 non-tapping cousin. :) And Serra easily deals with the opposing tokens.

The thing is, there just isn't that much removal around right now outside of Terminate. Perhaps the Angel can never exceed sideboard quality, but certain she's worth siding in against blue decks that use bounce and countermagic instead of "true" removal that triggers the Angel.

G

Gerode

What cards would take advantage of your opponent having creatures out?

Carnival of Souls! j/k

If you can find ways to kill them, they'd give a Black Market more bang for your buck, although Black has problems with killing its own critters.

It could also work in a Plague Spitter/Charisma deck, if you wanted to splash three colors.

D

Dune Echo

I actually like this card. Withdraw, Evacuation, Rushing River and Wash Out all deal with the token creature well. I agree with Zadok, run Serra Angel as well and you'll be fine.

M

Mikeymike

Its for the Magic player who also happens to be a Sadist.

I can see it being played in a big team game so your teammates can get the benefit (ala Indentured Djinn) but I'd only run it with bounce to oust the opponent's tokens.

I bet there is some degenerative combo you can do with it too, but I don't feel like trying.