Hall of Shame Vote: Weatherlight

Which of these Cards is (Weather)light on power?

• Blossoming Wreath

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Desperate Gambit

• Ertai's Familiar

• Inner Sanctum

• Mwonvuli Ooze

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Psychic Vortex

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Typo: It's "Mwonvuli" and not "Mwonovuli." [Edit...Fixed! :) TomB]

So, a four-way tie, huh? I voted for my own nomination, but I really think this should be between the Sanctum and the Ooze. None of the other cards seem that bad.

I also still don't get the whole "none of the above" thing. If it wins, does that mean every card in the entire set of Weatherlight is equal?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It means no one thought any of the cards nominated are really that Hall of Shame worthy (IMO)

B

BigBlue

Apparently someone else does too...

I think those 3 are really the worst of Weatherlight...

Cumulative upkeep cards all...

Psychic Vortex - Cumulative upkeep draw a card is cool - it has a horrible drawback I realize, but in the right deck, those extra cards are really good and by far compensate for lost land - I see this as an aggro UG card where you need more cards to make it viable mid-game.

Inner Sanctum - Cumulative upkeep 2 life flat out sucks... but if you look at as a temporary stop to play something like Earthquake... or to protect your creatures prior to a horde attack where you outnumber your opponent... I could play it... plus it's white, so you have lifegain gallore if need be.

Ooze - I just think it's way too slow to be useful... 1/1 for 3, then 3/3 for 5, then 5/5 for 9... How many green fatties don't have this horrible upkeep and are bigger faster?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ransac;278195 said:
I still think that Psychic Vortex is a truly horrible, horrible card.
Psychic Vortex is not bad. It's no tournament favorite, but there are several worse cards in this set. I guess I just didn't expect it to be winning on a casual site. Don't people have a sense of adventure? It has cumulative upkeep draw a card! Cumulative upkeeps usually suck. This one is good. Plus the card's not that expensive and its drawbacks aren't that severe. Sacrificing a land every turn sucks, but can easily be worked around. Discarding your hand doesn't even really matter when you're drawing more and more cards every turn. This is the sort of card we should be trying to build decks around, not putting in a hall of shame. Who ever heard of an Inner Sanctum deck?

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Inner sanctum is pretty obsolete. Some cards don't deserve to be printed, and this is one of them. OK, your creatures don't die to damage, but to compensate that you'll just kill yourself. Especially good against a red deck!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I voted for the Vortex based on the cards available when Weatherlight was released, because sure, with all of today's cards, none of them are really that bad. There's stuff you had do with an empty hand or play cards from your graveyard now, etc. But at the time, saccing a land and discarding your hand is slightly worse than the other cards - I can see Inner Sanctum with life-gaining and Earthquake-type effects, for example, which were around back then.

And there's counter movers to help with the CU nowadays also.

The Ooze isn't too bad - you're a bit off on the math BB. It's 1 mana for 1/1 (because you just put it out), 2 mana for 3/3, 4 mana for 5/5 (+1 if you're counting the initial G payment). It's not a first turn drop though, that's for sure :)

B

BigBlue

Whoops... yeah, I'm going for total cost and for some reason I was way off on the initial cost...

1 1/1
1 + 2 - 3/3
3 + 4 - 5/5...
7 + 6 - 7/7... for my 13 mana invested I finally have something "fat" for one turn.

And with this guy, moving age counters won't help since it screws with his growth.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
5/5 isn't that bad. Just give it some trample and it rocks! Even if not, it still puts the other player on the defensive real fast...

B

BigBlue

I'd rather play Barishi (and have the mana from the earlier turns available).

Or Fungus Elemental (note the "improved" wood elemental!) (and have the mana from the earlier turns available)...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying it's the *best* card available. I'm just saying there's more "useless" cards in the set, if that's possible (IMO) :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Disappointed as I am with Psychic Vortex winning, it did win. So let's move on to the next set, which happens to be Portal, the set I started with when I first began playing Magic.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
See what I mean!!!! Psychic Vortex always disappoints...

EDIT: I love how my only argument for the card I nominated was essentially "it's really, really bad"

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ransac, you are really, really bad. Now shut up and go figure out what you're going to nominate for Portal.