Hall of Shame Vote: Ice Age

Which of these is the WORST Ice Age card?

• Avalanche

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cold Snap

• Ice Cauldron

• Infernal Denizen

• Melting

• Snowfall

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I voted for Snowfall, because I think it's the worst of the lot. The others aren't so bad; you can build a deck around the second and the first is more like a sideboard card.

D

DarthFerret

I voted for melting. Probably would have nominated that instead of cold snap if I had taken more time to look through them. I like snowfall and have used it before to a great degree.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret;273834 said:
I like snowfall and have used it before to a great degree.
Yeah, so have I. :rolleyes:

I went with Snowfall because of the the upkeep. If it didn't have an upkeep on its own, it would potentially be useful with Ritual of Subdual or something. But with the upkeep, it's just too ridiculously bad.

Melting is awful too and I'm not surprised to see the two tied right now. Very, very crappy cards.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I think Oversoul perfectly explained why a vote for Snowfall is a wasted vote. Snowfall has it's uses; the only use Melting has is to use Snowfall. Now that is one narrow card... Melting sucks. Melting is the kind of card you hope your opponent has in his deck.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Oversoul;273912 said:
Like what? Lessening the effect of an opponent's Power Surge?
Paying for cumulative upkeep, probably.

Oversoul;273121 said:
But one could potentially (with enough Snow-Covered Islands) have other cumulative upkeep cards hop on for the ride along with Snowfall and keep them out longer.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, Melting would be a sideboard card and used against a deck against Coldsnap or any card that takes advantage of snow lands (Karplusan Giant).

Snowfall can only be used for CU of other stuff and has CU of its own. You may be able to build a deck with it but it'd be a LOT harder. So I think it has less of a use than Melting.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Shabbaman;273913 said:
Paying for cumulative upkeep, probably.
Not just "probably." That's all it can do. If it didn't have its own cumulative upkeep, then sure, it could keep Illusionary Forces out longer. It could still hypothetically do that with lots and lots of Snow-covered Islands out. But with lots and lots of Snow-covered Islands out, you're going to be able to keep such cards out for long enough anyway.

B

BigBlue

You don't need Snow covered to make it effective... It gives you UU when you tap an Island - the add'l U is optional but only useable for Cumulative Upkeep... It gives you up to UUU (or UU) if you tap a Snow Island with the add'l UU (or U) only useable for CU...

(Geez that's a lot of U's there... :) )

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Why would you play regular Islands if you know that Snowfall is in your deck?

Also, that's dubious usage of the word "effective."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It also hoses every other card that takes advantage of lands being snow-covered. I don't know how many there are, but every single one is better than Snowfall.

And like I already mentioned, I consider Snowfall worse than Great Wall because Great Wall will sit there indefinitely. Even if all that means is that it later gets sacrificed to Smokestack or whatever, at least it can do that. Snowfall kills itself. Melting does cost one mana more, which is why I'm tempted to call it worse. But at least what Melting hoses is more common than what Great Wall hoses.

I think a case could be made for either card and I'm fine with Melting winning. But "leagues" of difference is just not the case.

B

BigBlue

While not "Leagues" different... Melting Wins... erm Loses... whatever! Melting is SuX0r.