Haitians vs. Cubans

T

train

Why is it that Cubans are basically allowed to run free in Florida, but the Haitians end up being deported???

Are we being racist in this sense??? Or is there some other logic to this???:confused:

M

MrXarvox

Because the United States believes that Cuba is an evil, evil, evil red commie place and anyone coming to here from there must be desperately seeking political asylum, because of the evil evil satanic godless communism; whereas Haiti is just poor, and the U.S. government doesn't want to let people in just so that they can have what they believe to be a chance at success.

Ferret

Staff member
It's sad, but true. It might also be because Haiti is also where a lot of diseases have been coming from (such as AIDS) as well as many drug lords. The country's backwards government makes it quite easy for crimelords to set up shop and export to the US and beyond...

-Ferret

"...I suddenly feel like playing Tropico..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought AIDS came from Africa.

Anyhow, I think the Cubans have much bigger political clout than the Haitians.

Ferret

Staff member
Oh, it did. But many people in Haiti contracted it as well as a few of the Hepatitus grades (B &C).

Whenever I give blood I'm always asked if I've been to Haiti recently...

-Ferret

"...passport or vaccination record?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, yeah, but you're also asked if you visited Africa or other places where other diseases are more prevalent.

I guess my point is that I don't think it's because they have diseases; it's that Cubans have more political awareness and allies.

Ferret

Staff member
You know, I think that Cuba ran out of "allies" after the Iron Curtain fell. They're the only real Communist country in existence right now and their own people are not the biggest fans of their government - that's why they're always piling themselves into leaky boats/canoes/cardboard boxes to try to come to Florida.

However, I have spoken to a few former-Cubans (at least the ones that took the time to learn English) and many of them say how great things were there - which always leads me to counter w/ "then why did you leave?" and their responce is usually "I wanted to be w/ my family that defected twenty years ago..."

-Ferret

"...when visiting Miami, always bring your trusty English/Spanish dictionary..."

S

Svenmonkey

If Cuba was a true Communism, you wouldn't be talking about the people hating the government, for there would be no government and if you wanted to leave the commonwealth, you'd be able to. There has never been a true Communism, for they immediately become Totalitarian states.

And, just to insult something...

"...when visiting Florida, immediately return home so you aren't too disappointed..."

Ferret

Staff member
In all honesty I would say avoid Florida if you can. This state is quite dull, hot, humid, and overcrowded. I'm here because of the wife's family and would leave for Seattle in hearbeat if it were financially feasable...

-Ferret

"...insult if you will; I won't care!!! Mwahahahah! :)"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You know, I think that Cuba ran out of "allies" after the Iron Curtain fell. They're the only real Communist country in existence right now
Actually, there's China and North Korea.

But when I say "allies", I mean the defectors from Cuba who have probably influenced the immigration policy of if Cubans reach US soil, they're automatically granted asylum (or something like that).

I would Florida is too flat for the most part. And I would say Seattle is too rainy and gloomy, so I guess it depends on your preference for the weather :)

N

Nightstalkers

look at all that the cubans have given us since the cold war ended:

Cuban Cigars
Refugees
Cigars
and more refugees

T

train

Hey, be honest now - Cuba has also given us hope that one day - all our welfare will be gone, all our beaches now the CPA famous hole-in-the-ground-resorts, and that one day we will have to fill our own make-shift boats and flee to Asia due to overcrowding... well, maybe they'll just make a man-made, sea-land continent to make more room for us on earth...

I will say that many Cuban women are very beautiful... the men though, they need to stop using their minds as doorstops...:p

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Originally posted by Spiderman
Actually, there's China and North Korea.
Neither of which is even as communist as Cuba, really.

The fact that the US discourages foreigners from coming here pisses me off because people ignore that it's perfect proof the US ignores its ideals daily.

Ferret

Staff member
You seem shocked that America is the most hypocritical country on the planet. I've known this since I saw and independent Presidential candidate get 6% of the popular vote and absolutely no recognition...

-Ferret

"...John Anderson, 1980..."

T

train

Hey - don't knock the hypocrites... they're good for business...

Got Coat?!!!:cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Thallid Ice Cream Man
Neither of which is even as communist as Cuba, really.
How do you figure? Can you explain?

The fact that the US discourages foreigners from coming here pisses me off because people ignore that it's perfect proof the US ignores its ideals daily.
I think it depends on the circumstances. People coming ashore and "melting" into the city and whatnot is a bit different from people being "processed " and going through the official channels by getting visas or whatever.