Guided Passage deck lists

T

Turtlewax Joe

I need deck lists for a RUG Guided Passage deck. Post them here.

Thanx, T.J.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Before I begin, I want to say that none of this is meant to sound condescending; I'm just starting my thoughts from scratch and introducing new factors. This is what I usually do when I analyze an individual card or deck.

Well, it's a little hard to build a deck around this card, since it's only a one-time card drawer.
Decks could be designed to take advantage of it, but they probably wouldn't be Guided Passage decks.
Anyway, Guided Passage works best when you have very few of at least one of the classifications, so that you can be reasonably sure of what you get.
This means you want few creatures and/or few spells and/or few land.
The last is obviously a bad idea (especially when you consider that this card is three colors), and it's almost as stupid to build a deck with less than ten creatures and less than ten spells.
So that leaves two viable deck scenarioes: Mostly creatures and a few spells, or mostly spells and a few creatures.
A deck that comes to mind and could be viable for the first scenario is a R/G creature deck with a couple of Guided Passages and possibly some spells that are always useful (for instance, burn).
Maybe you could make all the creatures cheap (one or two mana) and use extra mana on Guided Passages to search for more creatures and more Guided Passages.
On the other end of the spectrum, you could make a Counterburn variant with green for Guided Passage and use it to seek out some big creature, but that might interfere with what is probably a manahungry deck.
Guided Passage does not easily fit into any of the established archetypes (for Type II, at least), so you'll need to experiment.
I have basically no experience with the current Type II, so I can't help you with that.

You should always remember that Guided Passage is not much of a tutor. It is a card drawer. On occasion a deck can be built to take advantage of it by using only a few creatures or a few spells, but it can still be inferior to other tutors or, at best, more specialized, for two reasons:

1. Its three color mana cost makes it difficult to support even in RUG, and basically impossible to splash.
2. When using it in a deck with mostly creatures and only a few spells, an opponent might choose another Guided Passage.

The second problem sounds good at first, and in certain decks that may want to have many cards in hand or to frequently refill the hand it is, but casting another Guided Passage may be very difficult, and probably impossible the same turn, and the strategy of having many cards in hand is more easily achieved by using blue card drawing cards.
It comes down to the fact that Guided Passage rarely gets you the card you want.

Guided Passage is basically a card drawer but can be much more strong based on the deck design. That is the main factor in its usefulness.

Hopefully someone who builds decks often will comes by and give some more constructive advice.