GTA: San Andreas

Ferret

Staff member
Well, Rockstar Games has redefined wrong again. This game, I would have to say, has combined all the good points from the previous games and found a way to introduce some new things that are actually good (unlike Vice City!)

The wife and I have been playing it all day - unfortunately, it's staying at home while I go and visit DUke's homeland...

-Ferret

"I give it ****½ out of ******"

R

Reverend Love

Have fun with your tax free deployment...you guys are tax free right?

C

Chaos Turtle

Ew. No it's not.

Well, maybe it is; I've been playing too much Halo 2 to notice.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Chaos Turtle
Ew. No it's not.

Well, maybe it is; I've been playing too much Halo 2 to notice.
Bah! All of those shooters are just cheap knock-offs of Doom (I would say Castle Wolfenstein, but I don't remember them having a deathmatch mode). You play through the main plot and you win - hooray. You play deathmatch modes w/ a few dozen people and you figure out new ways to kill each other - hooray. It gets old fast...then, your X-Box returns to its normal duty of holding down papers on a windy day...

-Ferret

"Ha Ha! I killed you - again! I'm so kewel!"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ferret, that seems a bit unfair. I'm not a fan of first-person shooters (I'm not a detractor either, it's just not my usual choice of game). But I did play Doom several years ago and I'm pretty sure that it is (like many other old games) now considered a classic, but is outdated and just not as pretty as the new games. Is a game really a "cheap knock-off" of something if it is designed and marketed years later, using more advanced technology? If the answer is "yes" then I suppose that I can't argue with you.

C

Chaos Turtle

The difference being that Halo 2 doesn't suck like Doom did. (I don't even like first-person shooters.)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I guess we can use Halo 2 as an example for this. Doom was made in the early 90's. I don't know exactly when either game came out, but they're probably about (I think more than, but I am not positive) ten years apart.

So, by virtue of the fact that Halo 2 is a new game and Doom is like ten years old, we couldn't expect them to be the same. Halo 2 has graphics that are not even on the same level as those of Doom. Technology alone allows one to be complex in ways that the older one can not be.

C

Chaos Turtle

I wasn't really directly comparing the two games. I meant that I played Doom when it came out and didn't enjoy it at all. I didn't like Duke Nukem or even CAstle Wolfenstein either. I also didn't like the James Bond games.

I never even tried Halo until last March, when I finally broke down and bought an XBOX (to play Morrowind of all things). Halo came with it and I tried it and didn't like it much. But for some reason I tried it again. And again. And as it turns out I like it quite a lot. I'm not sure why it succeeds where the others fail, but to me it's just...fun.

Now that Doom 3 is coming out, with strong advance reviews, I'll probably give that franchise another chance. After all, maybe they've figured out a way to make that game fun too.

R

Reverend Love

I wouldn't bother turtle. If the console version is anything like the computer version it'll get VERY repetitive.

Typical Doom Level

Enter suspiciously empty room. Get to certain point in room triggering scripted event of monsters teleporting in. Turn around to look behind you..oh monsters there too. Clear room.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I know this grip has been done 1000+ times but it’s worth complaining about. Obviously in the world of Doom we’ve figured out the secrets of compacting plasma, and laser technologies, self sufficient moonbases, slower then light space travel, and a slew of other sciences/technologies. But the simple flashlight attached to a weapon concept has obviously escaped our progeny.

As one forum guy put it:

“It has become plainly apparent that all the tape and string on mars has been used to try and block up the portal of hell, so theres none left to tack the damn flashlight onto my shotgun.”

C

Chaos Turtle

Ugh. Maybe I'll talk a friend into renting it then. What you've described is nearly precisely what I didn't like about it before.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Chaos Turtle
Ugh. Maybe I'll talk a friend into renting it then. What you've described is nearly precisely what I didn't like about it before.
Actually, there are tons of mods you can download that will give you a free flashlight - some of them are cool like the Bat-Signal or SpongeBob - and some are cute like Hello Kitty!

-Ferret

"Feel the power of my hairball!"