Grim Reminder

M

Mikeymike

Grim Reminder
2B - Rare - Mirrodin
Instant
Search your library for a nonland card and reveal it. Each opponent who played a card this turn with the same name as that card loses 6 life. Then shuffle the revealed card back into your library.
{B}{B}: Return ~this~ from your graveyard to your hand. Play this ability only during your upkeep.

At first glance this seems like a odd, very narrow card. But I think it could be much more than that. It has to do with this:

{B}{B}: Return ~this~ from your graveyard to your hand. Play this ability only during your upkeep.

The only card in the game I can think of that is so easy to get out of your graveyard to your hand is Squee, and maybe Genesis - so Grim Reminder is a strong option in a deck that likes to discard/etc. for effect.

But what is most important is that it has no stipulation on how many times you can use the 'return to your hand' ability each upkeep, only BB mana. That means you can use it for discard loops repeatedly in your upkeep. In some ways, its actually better than Squee.

In MP, I think it's main ability can actually be quite dangerous as well. In my group I see many common cards appear in many different decks (like Sol Ring), and I bet its primary use would do some surpise instant life loss.

Any thoughts?

T

train

It is strong...

And probably deadly since it can easily be used with Solitary confinement...

Then you throw in vindicates, phyrexian arenas, scrublands, caves of koilos, death grasps, etc...

cost to retun 2...

advantage - vindicate is in the deck...

That's my ploy for it... An I honestly think it's better the Confined Squee... simpy because of Vindicate...

Of course it could go with any of the discard creatures, or rites of initiation!!!...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting card.

While you can get it back, I think it is more narrow since unless one of your opponents has a "mirror" deck or even playing a like color, you're not going to get a lot of hits with it. You'd have to be playing control with black as a color for one, and need 3-5 mana free to have it do an effect. I know in my group, not everyone plays with Sol Rings even if they have them, nor a lot of staple stuff like Disenchant, Naturalize, StP, etc.

H

Hetemti

In my local group, feeding it to Masticore has been the prime concept.

T

train

I think looking at the feed portion of it is what makes it so strong spidey...

As for the use on it - it would take a deck tuned to opponent's decks to really work some magic...

feeding it to discard - confinement, mongrel, rites of initiation, threshold and such is not a bad deal...

:)

H

Hetemti

:: confinement, mongrel, rites of initiation, threshold and such is not a bad deal...

Solitary Confinement and Wild Mongrel isn't bad...Rites seems like a weak use...and threshold I don't see. Any card in the Yard counts to seven, so you'd be either trying to not get to seven with it somehow, or would be supressing its own use.

It might be nice in 250, where you've got plenty of deck to look for stuff other people might play.

T

train

Here goes another battle of wits deck!...

The reason I mentioned threshold is that you throw it down early to help you get there... but if you need it later on - you can get it back...

I guess i should think before I type... 'cause it still sounds corny...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not too strong in the "good discard" department, so it's probably better than I think it is...

Good thing most of my group is bad at that too :)

T

train

I might have to run those in my B/W/G control deck just for you spidey!!!...

that would be the edge in the mirror match...:D :cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I was going to ask your thoughts on updating it for Mirrodin - I haven't had a chance to really sit down and go through the set yet...

T

train

I'm looking at a few things...

Mainly the Rule of Law and Sun droplet interested me for multi-player...

Arrest is a great sideboard card - so much better than pacifism... It may be good enough for maindeck control!!!...

Until I can get rid of the pesky creatures with a wrath or deed, then gaea's blessing and get it all back and start all over...:D

Isochron scepter has me intrigued for the deck - but I don't like removing my own stuff from the game...

Don't be surprised if you see some abeyance, scepter action going on - but I have to playtest it for a bit... I'll let you know...