Green big tokens deck - suggestions

D

Demon

I've got this casual mp deck that I'd like to try at a local store's Monday night extended tourney.

The thing is, Sol Ring's are crucial to getting the deck off and running in any sort of timely fashion. It doesn't matter so much with my friends, as we play mp-chaos almost exclusively, but for duels I think it really needs the mana boost.

So, any suggestions for replacing the Sol Ring's to make this deck extended-legal (and hopefully without losing too much tempo), plus any general improvement suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I know the deck is ten spells too large, but it does run pretty well even so.

Decklist:

Creatures:
4x Beast Attack
4x Elephant Ambush
4x Roar of the Wurm
4x Crush of Wurms
4x Call of the Herd

Spells:
4x Muscle Burst
4x Sylvan Might
4x Overrun
2x Parallel Evolution

Artifacts:
2x Mirari
2x Catalyst Stone

Mana sources/searching:
4x Deep Reconnaissance
4x Diligent Farmhand
4x Sol Ring
25x Forest

Thanks! :D

I

Istanbul

-3 Sol Ring
-3 Forest
+4 Emerald Medallion
+2 Land Grant

T

train

-3 Forests
+3 Eladamri's Vineyard

-4 Muscle Bursts
-4 diligent Farmhand

+3 Coat of Arms
+2 Kamahl Fist of Krosa
+3 Emerald Medallions

D

Demon

unfortunately I don't have any of those cards (except maybe the Land Grants).

I've got two Gilded Lotus, I think four Moss Diamond, and maybe one or two Horn of Ramos -- do you think a straight switch for a combination four of these for the Sol Ring's would be worth it? Maybe two Gilded Lotus, and two Moss Diamond?

T

train

gilded lotus - maybe - not the moss diamonds though...

if you have anything to trade - you might find some of those in the trading forum...:)

I

Istanbul

If you want to make this deck work, I strongly recommend trading for the Emerald Medallions. They should be relatively inexpensive to find, and they really make this deck move.

T

train

The medallions are nice - but I think the best pound for pound card is the vineyard... especially for this deck...

They basically make all your spells(I know this is mono) GG or 2 cheaper, and only cost 1 mana... plus there's more artifact control out there than enchantment... especially with the new block out...

they can even force your opponent into a burn situation... With something like Kamahl, or a activated ability like Centaur Glade, you can easily avoid burning...

--
first turn forest vineyard...
second turn call of the herd, without laying a second land...

D

Demon

Thanks for the ideas, I'll have to see what I can find through friends/stores.

Would you advise using medallions/vineyard in place of either the rings or the muscle burst/farmhand in regular casual play? (my friends and I don't use banned/restricted lists of any kind).

T

train

I'd definitely use the vineyards in place of the farmhands...

I'd also replace th ebursts in favor of more utility like Kamahl or to make things really interesting - Coat of Arms...

N

NorrYtt

Sol Ring has the highest power level of any card in my collection. Whenever I 2nd turn Demonic Tutor, I always get Sol Ring. Opening the game with a turn 1 Sol Ring roughly doubles my odds of winning over when I don't open with it.

There is a good reason Sol Ring is restricted in Type 1.

You have a little too much support, I think. Hardcasting Roar of the Wurm is not very good compared to Call of the Herd and Beast Attack, which are designed to be hardcasted.

-2 Crush of Wurms
-2 Roar of the Wurm
+4 Chatter of the Squirrel

Chatter is better than it looks.

Another option is to keep the land searching utility and swap in some Red for the efficient

+4 Firebolt
+4 Reckless Charge

I would play something closer to:

Flashback
4 Chatter of the Squirrel
4 Call of the Herd
4 Elephant Ambush
4 Beast Attack
2 Roar of the Wurm
2 Crush of Wurms

4 Firebolt
4 Reckless Charge
2 Book Burning

4 Muscle Burst
1 Parallel Evolution

1 Mirari
4 Catalyst Stone

2 Deep Reconnaissance
4 Diligent Farmhand
20 Forest
4 Mountain

R

Reverend Love

Vernal Bloom - Rare Urza's Saga, 7th Edition
Mana Vault - Uncommon Revised
Rampant Growth - Common 8th Edition
Skyshroud Claim - Common Nemesis
Nature's Lore - Common 5th Edition
Llanowar Elves - Common 7th Edition
Vine Trellis - Common 8th Edition

If you expecting to see lots of Artifacts in the tournament AND your a dirty player then I'd use...

Deconstruct, common from Mirrodin.

Destroy their stuff AND get mana... :)

G

GauntletKing

I like 4 vineyard because it also deals damage to your opponent if they have no play in a turn, Plus it's yummy anytime Kamahl is in play.

I would take out 2 overrun and put in 2 Kamahl.

Anybody for Journey of discovery or reap and sow instead of the muscle bursts?

Where is the Yavimaya elder the ultimate? Is he not extended legal? (must not be if Rofellos isn't on the play list)

T

train

Gauntletking - It would depend on whether or not those cards are owned by the player - but suggestions are always helpful... I'd use a rofellos in the deck if I had him too...

NorrYtt - I'm going to guess that the deck you're running with the demonics probably doesn't have green in it... Sol Ring is the Universal 1cc 2 mana provider, but for green decks like the above, I think the vineyard plays better - especially with the chance it has to burn the opponent - not many times does green cause loss of life specifically...;)

you do have a great point, if you have extra mana on the table, in that dropping a first turn sol ring for black, is pretty strong, but a first turn vineyard for green is effectively the same thing... black can't do anything with the colorless mana that turn(unless more black mana is present or it's used for artifacts), and neither can green with the vineyard...

Demon-If you had the option 4 Sol Rings, and 4 Vineyards is definitely the way to go...;) :cool:

M

Mikeymike

Definitely run 4 Catalyst Stone's in here.

I also like NorrYtt's idea about splashing red for such gems as Reckless Charge and Firebolt.

Personally I've always been partial to Sylvan Might myself, especially in here b/c you've got no creatures with natural trample. It is a surprise card that people don't expect, and played well it almost always creates card advantage. Nice choice.

Here's an old aggro-Cat-Stone deck I built way back in the day, it actually was much better than I expected. Reckless Charge made the deck a force.

For Mana acceleration, there are a ton of alternatives you can use

Sol Ring will eternally be the best besides Moxen and such - and while the Vineyard is nice it isn't nearly as controllable as the Ring. If you group allows you to play 4, then play 4 (you won't be able to in a tourney). For extended play the Vineyard is an excellent alternative.

But you'll probably want to consider going with creature-based accel in BoP or Llanowar Elves b/c they can also beatdown with Reckless Charge, Overrun, etc.

Beyond that, Reverend Love is right, you will need some form of utility. Besides Deconstruct look at Naturalize, and possibly even Hull Breach if you splash red.