Got any deck ideas?

B

boogiepop

Hey guys, I'm looking to slap some more craptastic, ultra cheap, 40 card decks together for duels and 2 headed giant. Hopefully by doing this, I can sucker my brother and his geeky spouse into actually trying a multiplayer game next time I'm in the States.

Anywho, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions what to base the decks on. My budget is 50 cents per card max., so you might have to keep that in mind. Wonky stuff out of normal color combinations would be especially appreciated, though more straightforward mono-color ideas could also be of use. (At least one player might need a learner's deck.)

Here's what I have so far. One madness deck with a dab of upkeep and graveyard tampering, and another that's tribal with some proliferate. Please gloss over the (admittedly bad) special lands. I really have a soft spot for them.

Gibbering Madness (you'll recognize this, I'm sure)

7 Island
7 Swamp
2 Rootwater Depths

2 Hapless Researcher
2 Spindrift Drake
2 Dregscape Zombie
2 Carroinette
2 Aquamoeba
2 Looter Il-Kor
2 Vampire Hounds
2 Vexing Sphinx
2 Ichor Slick
2 Nightshade Assassin
2 Gibbering Descent
2 Gorgon Recluse

Day of the Thallids

9 Forest
6 Swamp
2 Pine Barrens

2 Thallid
2 Deathspore Thallid
2 Thallid Shell-Dweller
2 Contagion Clasp
2 Thorn Thallid
2 Thallid Germinator
2 Grim Affliction
2 Fallen Ideal
2 Herd Gnarr
2 Scatter the Seeds
2 Sporolith Ancient
1 Savage Thallid

Thanks in advance to any and all for whatever suggestions you may have! :D

P.S. Is there an easy way to link the cards to Gatherer?

turgy22

Nothing Special
P.S. Is there an easy way to link the cards to Gatherer?
Depends on your definition of easy. Whenever I want a card linked to its gatherer entry, I actually have a saved template that I can then simply enter the card name into:
Code:
[url=http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Card Name]Card Name[/url]
You need to replace both instances of "Card Name" with the actual name of the card. One directs to the gatherer entry; the other is what shows up in your post. Plus, you need the template handy, so maybe that's not "easy" for you.

Another method is to take the following steps:
1) Look up the card in Gatherer and copy its URL.
2) Highlight the name of the card in your post.
3) Click on the link button at the top of the posting area. (I've highlighted it in red in the image below, in case you don't know what I'm talking about.)

4) Paste the Gatherer URL into the pop-up box that comes up. Click Insert and you're all done.

Thallid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for your decks, the only suggestion I have off the top of my head is Sporesower Thallid in the second deck. It's uncommon, but I can't imagine it's worth more than 50¢. It's a pretty solid 4/4 creature for only 4 mana, plus it will double the effectiveness of everything that uses spore counters.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, people have asked for the [card] tag before, but it hasn't been put in.

I don't have any specific ideas, but basically sticking to all-commons type decks should keep you within budget :)

B

boogiepop

Thanks for the info guys. And alas, Sporesower Thallid is going for $1 on starcitygames (which is what I'm using to price the cards.)

How have mono blue decks evolved over the years? I see a card like
Phantasmal Bear and it makes me wonder how its options have changed.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
40-card decks? Either sligh or black aggro could be good here. Lots of creatures that can hit hard and quickly, but are commons and not really top-tier in terms of power, so I'd imagine they'd be pretty cheap, and with the small deck sizes you'd run into these cards pretty reliably...

B

boogiepop

Cool, I just went looking on tappedout.net and came across a few neat sligh and mono black decks. There's one aggro black deck in particular that has piqued my interest as it was made specifically for a beginner. I don't like snagging other people's decks but sometimes a man needs inspiration (and guidance.) I also came across a green landfall deck. I've never tried landfall before, so I think I'm going to go looking into that now. What's the most typical color pairing that uses it (so I can avoid it) and what are the, shall we say, rogue ones?
And sorry for the million questions. :p

B

boogiepop

I've got some more decks to add to this list. In need of suggestions.

First up is the easiest. It's based around Spellweaver Volute. It relies a bit too much on bouncing creatures and dealing its damage via Beacon of Destruction. Searing Wind seems like it would probably be a good replacement for Quicksilver Geyser, though it breaks my price rule. Finally, Storm Entity looks hella fun but, I haven't been able to get it to function properly here.
The deck works (a little too well against my other ones,) so this is just about tweaking things. Here's the decklist.

My next deck has bigger problems. It can win, but it's rather slow and boring. There are also too many creatures that simply have saccing in their rules boxes. Some of the cards you can see in the Maybeboard are there because they could mix things up a bit. Any suggestions to add to that small list would be most appreciated.

Numero 3. I've been struggling to get anything to work right in a Blue/Green landfall deck. Any suggestions outside special lands would be supremely appreciated. I'm really at a loss here as to how to get the landfall ability to work fluidly. I'd like to make one around Soratami Mirror-Guard if possible.

Finally, what do you guys think of black/white decks built around Phyrexian Unlife?
Blue decks built around Quest for Ula's Temple?