Goofy Possessed Portal Deck

R

Reverend Love

This is one of my decks that tries to do too much and will probably fail utterly. Ooh well. This ugly baby is going to attempt to stall until I can get some type of Possessed Portal/Abundance/Brown Ouphe/Elfhame Sanctuary combo up.

Lots of work here. Gotta keep their critters at bay, feed/side step the Possessed Portal, ooh yea..and win somehow too :rollseyes:

Splashed a hoop load of utility creatures in here as you can see. Gots a few Spellshapers, a Cabal Interrogater to empty their hand, hell even found a use for Groundskeeper.

Got a Living Hive in here because he's sorta sucky but cool in a way...so he fit the entire theme of the deck.

Will it work, maybe but it was fun to make and I hope as much fun to play.

Main Cards: 4
4 Possessed Portal

Creatures: 22
3 Brown Ouphes
3 Groundskeeper
2 Dawnstrider
2 Avatar of Woe
2 Cabal Interrogator
1 Notorious Assassin
1 Living Hive
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves

Spells: 12
2 Bind
2 Abundance
1 Elfhame Sanctuary
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Oversold Cemetary
3 Dark Banishing
2 Chainer’s Edict

Lands: 23
4 Bayou
11 Forest
8 Swamps

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
My main concern is with setting up and protecting the lock...

Possessed Portal is not cheap. It would also really suck if you do cast the Portal, and then it is blown up...

F

Force of Will Smith

I hope the brown ouphe isnt for the portal, cause thats not an activated ability, its a triggered ability that remains static.

like here...

400.2 - Spells, activated abilities, and triggered abilities generate
effects when they resolve. Static abilities generate continuous effects.
[CompRules 2003/07/01]

405.1 - A static ability does something all the time rather than being activated or triggered. The ability isn't played-it just "exists." Such abilities apply only while the ability is on a permanent in play, unless the ability is covered by Rule 402.8 or Rule 402.9. [CompRules 2003/07/01]

Elfhame will always get you that extra card, seeing as how it triggers before your draw step.
Poral, and Abundance both have "if you would draw a card" conditions, so as long as you control them both, I believe you can choose the order in which they go, and any that couldnt go through, don't. Here are some refs, in order of relevance. Im no guru, but this is what looks right.

410.4 - When a triggered ability goes on the stack, the controller of the ability makes any choices that would be required while playing an activated ability, following the same procedure (see Rule 409, "Playing Spells and Activated Abilities"). If no legal choice can be made (or if a rule or a continuous effect otherwise makes the ability illegal), the ability is simply removed from the stack. [CompRules 2003/07/01]

410.5 - Some triggered abilities' effects are optional (they contain "may," as in "At the beginning of your upkeep, you may draw a card"). These abilities go on the stack when they trigger, regardless of whether their controller intends to exercise the ability's option or not. The choice is made when the ability resolves. Likewise, triggered abilities that have an effect "unless" something is true or a player chooses to do something will go on the stack normally; the "unless" part of the ability is dealt with when the ability resolves. [CompRules 2003/07/01]

410.3 - If multiple abilities have triggered since the last time a player received priority, the abilities controlled by the active player go on the stack first, in any order he or she chooses, then those controlled by the opponent go on the stack in any order that opponent chooses. Then players once again check for and resolve state-based effects until none are generated, then abilities that triggered during this process go on the stack. This process repeats until no new state-based effects are generated and no abilities trigger. Then the appropriate player gets priority. [CompRules 2003/07/01]

So its your turn, untap, upkeep have resolved, you draw,

portal and abundance trigger simultaneously, with your priority you choose to do abundance first, giving you a "revealed" card, not necessarily a "draw". Then Portal goes off, and you skip your draw youve already taken.

So portal and abundance would still give you cards.. but elfhame would give you a continuous way to stall with portal..

Possessed Portal 8
If a player would draw a card, that player skips that draw instead.
At the end of each turn, each player sacrifices a permanent unless he or she discards a card from his or her hand.

Abundance 2GG
If you would draw a card, you may instead choose land or nonland and reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a card of the chosen kind. Put that card into your hand and put all other cards revealed this way on the bottom of your library in any order.

Elfhame Sanctuary 1G
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may search your library for a basic land card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. If you do, skip your draw step this turn and shuffle your library.

Oversold cemetary and Elfhame are amazing in this deck, id run 3-4 cemetary and easily 4 elfhame.. you net insane land, in addition it will help if you hardcast portal and its the cheapest solution to your stall. Also with the loss of the ouphe, you can introduce 4 tinkers!!

If you want creatures to kill, you might consider zubera, or cards like the symbiotic elf that gives you 2 creatures when you sac him.

I have a deck where the ultimate goal is to get a spore frog into play every single turn, regardless of its place in my library, hand, or graveyard.. as well as harbingers of night, blastoderms etc.. but its basically the frog...

it works amazingly and its recur cards were

4 oath of ghouls (oversold is better for your deck, but very similar)
4 tortured existence (enchantment for B, B:discard a creature, return a creature to your hand.)
corpse dance (at 5 mana id buyback a frog and sac it so it doesnt get removed)
haunted crossroads

Dawnstriders are good, but without pitching things like squee, there only so-so.. groundskeeper however with sacing lands, is a killer way to stall. If youd like you could add zuran orb to gain some life over time and build synergy with your elfhame.

Id recommend keeping abundance at 2, maindecking 4 elfhame
4 oversold. I'd also remove the bind, since it wont do you much good.

cabal interrogator is really good, especially once things keep dying. I'd recommend against the notorious assassin, he's 3B for a 2/2 where you discard to kill a creature.. With a portal, it'll be one and the same a card for a card.

you might also want to run

Culling Scales 3
Rules Text At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy target nonland permanent with the lowest converted mana cost among nonland permanents in play.
If you fill your hand from elfhame and have few permanents, it will treat your opponent like a double portal, or a "baby portal", killing all 1 casting cost (disciples, spellbombs, birds, elves, affinitys), a 2 casting cost (greaves, atogs, ravagers), and 3 costs.. everything.. then this.. still keeping your abundance and portal.. id run 2.. i think it could be fun,

keeping with denial, you could run a 1-2 purging scythes, 5cc artifact from saga that deals 2 damage to lowest toughness creature.

4 Possessed Portal
2 Culling
1 Purging scythe

you could also run meekstone, a nice turn 1 drop preventing 3 or over creatures from hitting you. and also caltrops. hurting all /1 toughness creatures..
if you wanted to you could run thran weaponry, so that all creatures get +2/+2 making all 1/1's 3/3s that wouldnt untap..
this would nullify scythe.

take the damage from the creatures, while theyre tapped and its your turn, play and activate it..

I think you could make a deck where you set up bigger ang bigger safeguards until you lay the portal and people just sit their with ? bubbles above their heads.

I think avatar of woe could work, but youd be able to cast him for free after youve either had to deal with several creatures, or the fate of the game has been determined..

here are some other "assassins". If your going with heavy recur, i.e. using the cards listed above to bring back the dead, then 187 come into play creatures would be cheaper, and better. However, if you decide removal is better, you could abandon some recur and just have an irritating army of "play something and ill kill it creatures"

Plaguebearer 1B, 1/1
XXB: Destroy target nonblack creature with cost equal to X.

Royal Assassin 1BB, 1/1
T: Destroy target tapped creature.

Bone Shredder 2B, 1/1
Flying; echo, 187-destroy target nonartifact, nonblack creature.

Nekrataal 2BB, 2/1
First strike 187-destroy target nonartifact, nonblack creature.
That creature can't be regenerated.

Visara the Dreadful 3BBB, 5/5, Onslaught Rare
Flying. Tap: Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated.

BB Kiku, Night's Flower 1/1
2BB, Tap: Target creature deals damage to itself = to its power.

This way, youd have the portal just in case, but youd have sick amounts of removal

Kiku-any creature
Visara-any creature
Nekrataal- cant hit black/artifact :(
Bone shredder-can't hit black/artifact
Plaguebearer-cant hit black, but can remove a number of creatures the second he hits play.

I'd run things like

4 Possessed Portal
4 Diabolic Edict
4 Royal Assassin (1BB)
2 Visaras (3BBB)
2 Kiku (BB)
2 Plaguebearer (1B)

2 Meekstone
4 Cabal Interrogator

2 Abundance
4 Elfhame Sanctuary
4 Birds
4 Llanowar

22 Lands.

I'd replace chainer's edict for diabolic edict because diabolic is an instant.

Dawnstrider and groundskeeper are to specific for land.

you can also run less than 23 lands with 2 abundance, 4 birds 4 llanowar, and 4 elfhame.

You might want to run naturalize's as well.. a deck that can get around portal, kill most all your creatures, AND remove enchantments and artifacts.. that's to be feared...

I might make this deck, it should be fun, an assassin portal deck.
Most of the creatures are pretty cheap as well.

T1: Forest, Birds
T2: Swamp, Elfhame, play llanowar
T3: use elfhame for swamp, play swamp (BBGGB at your disposal)
play a kiku and a royal assassin :)

hehe

R

Reverend Love

Here' s the Force of Will Smith :cool:
Here's the Force of Wil Smith pooping in my cheero's :(

And I thought I was so clever using Ouphe :)

Anyways the rest of your suggestions are spectacular.

I'll up the control of the deck, drop some utility. And improve it overall.

Thanks dude!

H

Homestar

i have ALWAYS hated possesed portal, even tho i own 18 of them, 5 of which are foil. wow, im sucha loser, yes, i did collect them, how sad. n e way, i would have to say that that post is the longest post i have ever witnessed in my CPA career.

F

Force of Will Smith

Sorry, it's so true.. I think its because i'm long-winded in real life. I also tend to jump around. When i message sometimes i kind of know where i'm going, sometimes not.

My bad.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ditto. I'm just wondering if you typed that all in the reply box or cut-n-paste from Word or something :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've typed up things as long in reply boxes on message boards. I don't see why one would use Word for it unless the post were interrupted and then finished later. Now articles are an entirely different story, since they are on average a great deal longer than forum posts and it is more important to have proper conventions with them...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Some sites (like this one) automatically log you out if you have inactivity for a certain period of time. So depending on how long getting and cut-n-pasting from other sources might have taken, it might have have better to write it all up in a separate document.

Plus, there's even less time when the "new post" thingie is refreshed, so if you spend your time typing the one post, your cookie gets updated and you might miss other new posts (and have to look at the timestamp).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
True, I guess I just fail to plan ahead and hope that it doesn't inconvenience me... :(

But it usually doesn't... :)

F

Force of Will Smith

Nah, I don't use word.
I've actually never timed out on a post... hotmail.. yes

Frequently i think, i'll have an idea for a new deck, and as i talk about it i figure out how it would actually work.
Then you simply see my brainstorming, i guess that way if theres something along the way that doesnt make sense, someone can correct it and see where im comin from.. hm.

I've actually come up with some sweet decks just critiquing.