good Players

W

Wonka

When I see good players play. I watch them and they take it so serious. It is like their life or something. if you do something by accident they call the judge over. I mean come on.

Good players always get the judge to get in their favor just like Andrew Johnson did at ptq Butler.

B

Baskil

Well, accident or not, there's no way to tell either way - like drawing an extra card (you know, like grabbing two instead of one). I understandwhere you are coming from, but especially lately, you HAVE to call the judge for every little thing.

Let me give you an example.

This one guy that I've played, and lost two twice, is playing me in a booster draft. A friend comes up to me and tells me about how much of a cheater he is. The reason he wasn't caught supposedly was because the cheating was going on druing a FNM, and the WotC staff there just told him to stop what he was doing.

To quote him about it during my match with him: "Stalling isn't cheating, is it?"

So anyway, I'm like you. I only call over the judge for blatant rules violations and rules questions. We go to shuffle, and I notice that he's riffle shuffling upside down, followed by slight, deliberate riffle shuffles. I think nothing of it because I'm going to shuffle his deck quite a bit anyway (probably 10 riffles would do it).

I win the first one, and we start the second one, and I notice that his shuffling is getting more deliberate. I again make nothing of it because I'll just shuffle his deck. I lose badly, and same thing happens in the third game. Looking back on it, my deck was far superior to his, and there must have been something going on (deliberate shuffling, one instance where he tried to regenerate a Nightscape Familiar with two Islands, ect).

So I go over to the local lvl 3 judge, and I ask him what I should hve done. And he told me bluntly that I should have called a judge immediately when he presented his deck. And when he payed incorrect costs for things.

You also have to remember that some people enjoy playing seriously. Some of us may not like to win a game with an Ancient Silverback or build Glowing Anenome.dec.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It depends what the situation is. If they're in a tourney, of course they're going to call a judge. Especially if you paid to play.

But even if it's a side event or for fun, some "good" players would like to stay that way, so they remain focused on the game. As they say, "practice makes perfect" so if you want to compete in a tourney eventually, if you're playing a deck up for consideration you want to concentrate and see if it works or not.

G

Goku

A few mistakes are understandable in casual play, but in tournies, as has been my experience with others, they can be quite costly.

And it isn't only good players who call over judges.

Besides; it shouldn't matter whether they call over a judge or not.
After all, one should not be making mistakes for a judge to be called over on. And if that one did not, and a judge was called- well, that's just tournament (and sometimes nontournament) play.