Good News news story

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Good news? I guess it depends how you look at it.

Good news that Pokemon is having a lesser presence (maybe) at stores? I guess.

However, the article doesn't say the kids are "graduating" into Magic. Rather, it seems the next craze is Dragonball Z and the two others.

I didn't do any searching, but maybe someone can find a comparable article on Magic. Is it "declining" too? Or holding steady? Rising?

A

Apollo

I can't say I'm sorry to see Pokemon dying out. But I feel sorry for the parents who blew all that money on cards. I must say, however, anyone who would spend that much is crazy. If you want to find out how much your kids really like it, have them buy some packs themselves. I've bought all my Magic cards, except for the Christmas or birthday gifts.

I play Mlb Showdown, as I've said before, and I recently went to a league at a nearby store. There was a kid there, maybe 10-12, with about forty foils. He said that he got them all in draft decks that his parents bought him. There is one foil per draft deck, and they are $10 each. His parents blew $400 on this game. And if he is anything like other kids I know that age, he'll play for a couple of months and get sick of it (I'm comparing to my 12 yr. old brother and his friends and what he tells me). That's ridiculous.

Apollo

C

Cateran Overlord

I have to echo Apollo's sentiments, it is fairly crazy for parents to spend that much money. Am I happy to see it go? No, not really. Do I like the game? Again, not particularly. I've been indifferent towards it. As I predicted, the Pokemon players are slowly going to play Magic. Now, though, I find that this is NOT a good thing.

Bear with me here. I've seen far too many kids switch to Magic, build a deck from boosters and maybe a starter or two, and come to my local store to play. There they get laughed at by the "pro" players, and it has a very bad impact I find. The result is that they go to the damnable Dojo and copy a deck from there. Now the same uppity "pro" players start saying "now THIS is a good deck, not like that PILE you had last time. This leads to 10 year old kids acting like pros and trying to critique my fun decks. No offense, but I don't want ANY "pro" players anywhere near my store. Sadly, they're a plague that won't go away and show up sporadically. No matter how much I try to convince these kids that Magic is a game for fun, all I ever seem to get it "You'll never win a tournament with that..."

Oh, the sadness of it all :(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How is spending $400 on Pokemon different from spending $400 on Magic? Because the parents are doing it?

Hey, I don't feel sorry for them. No one forced them to spend that much and as you said, Apollo, if the kids want the cards so bad they could pay for them themselves or get them as gifts as a pack here and there. It's just like getting your kid a Tickle-Me-Elmo when it was the craze a couple years ago...