Global Warming - Seems we needed this...

T

train

Oversoul;289712 said:
Train...

So you accept ice core data that indicates a local trend, but don't accept alignments in composition for many regionally disparate ice cores indicating global cycles (and atmospheric composition changes that match these cycles)? That's not a rhetorical question. I'm not saying that this is your position because I'm still a bit confused on what your position actually is. It just seems that you're readily accepting the interpretation of the data for this article, but not for others. Now I am not at all saying that this article is wrong somehow. I have no reason to claim that and it looks legitimate to me (since we can only see the abstract, I can't really say much beyond that). But I don't really see the method behind granting that the researchers probably have it right here and saying the opposite elsewhere.
I don't credit this more than any others... nor any less... This might be hard to follow (I'll admit this ahead of time... BUT...
What I am getting at through all my statements...
...is that there is a general discarding of the effect many of the assumptions have WHEN there is not enough of a single period of time locked in the cores to verify that's how it was for that entire extended period of time, that they make the assumptions for.

The local, regional, global is a good example/breakdown. There is a notion that for an ice core to have atmospheric content for a period of time, it is then generally accepted that the global atmosphere was that way for say... a period of 10,000 years. A Regional example is found that would indicate that the atmosphere was a tad bit different during that same time period for that region, but it gets set aside as there is not enough to override the global assumption. The local is absorbed into the regional, etc.

When there are enough regionals to reach that global "consensus" that doesn't mean that it is how it was back then. It only means that for what was captured, with asusmptions, that it was that way for the areas where the cores were collected.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
train;289746 said:
The local, regional, global is a good example/breakdown. There is a notion that for an ice core to have atmospheric content for a period of time, it is then generally accepted that the global atmosphere was that way for say... a period of 10,000 years.
Well, that's an oversimplification though. Different compounds are trapped at different rates and the windows of time differ by depth, with most analysis on deep cores being done in a continuous rather than discrete manner. I've generally found actual researchers in climatology (as opposed to politicians) to be careful about minimizing assumptions and the possibility for error when dealing with these results. They don't just say "good enough" and slap a 10,000-year sticker somewhere with concentration labels.

A Regional example is found that would indicate that the atmosphere was a tad bit different during that same time period for that region, but it gets set aside as there is not enough to override the global assumption. The local is absorbed into the regional, etc.
The atmosphere is too dynamic for this to really work that way. And that's the whole reason matching ice core segments from disparate regions works at all. They ultimately have the same atmosphere sitting on top of them. Sure, it's not completely uniform in every possible respect, but that that isn't necessary. It's not uniform now either and it's still quite possible for atmospheric scientists to work with that.

When there are enough regionals to reach that global "consensus" that doesn't mean that it is how it was back then. It only means that for what was captured, with asusmptions, that it was that way for the areas where the cores were collected.
But once again, the cores are now numerous and very far apart. They can't all systematically be showing the same figures for something when the rest of the planet other than where cores were dug up was different. I mean, yeah, it's an assumption that this sort of thing didn't happen, but I contend that anyone who isn't willing to make that assumption shouldn't be able to ever conclude anything about anything anywhere.

T

train

For everything noted - I understand it is our best guess... and that's just what it is.

When the climatic proxies include temperature, precipitation, ocean levels, composition of the lower atmosphere, and then go further to include items requiring greater assumption such as volcano and solar variability, and sea, forest and desert activity - there's a lot being assumed.

I rate composition of the atmosphere (chemical and gas) as the best indicators. Assumptions grow exponentially when the bolded items above are included.

It's not that comparisons can't be similar over varying regions - but when the majority of these are coming from (of course) heavily snow-covered regions - the ice flow assumptions that are made are within models that incorporate even more variables.

Core analyzers will note that flow corrections range from minimal to uncertainty.

Snow drifts between compacting cycles can greatly distort the information and in some areas where it is ideal for sublimation to occur - which would be many places the cores are collected from - the records can be incomplete, and so there is more assumption in modeling.

It's not that these aren't the best picture we have at this time - it's the assumptions and variability, and the high levels that those exist, in the models that are used - that make these nothing more than a best guess.

It's like trying to go from
x+y=Z
to
a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h+i-J-K-l=M

It becomes a "game" similar to what I learned in inferential statistics...

"a general measurement of a population variable, is used to determine more about the variable, in regards to the variables role in the population"

That's why the data and the assumptions made from them can be inferred in so many ways...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
train;289769 said:
For everything noted - I understand it is our best guess... and that's just what it is.
In the same way that anything ever really is, at most, our best guess? Then why emphasize it?

When the climatic proxies include temperature, precipitation, ocean levels, composition of the lower atmosphere, and then go further to include items requiring greater assumption such as volcano and solar variability, and sea, forest and desert activity - there's a lot being assumed.
But I'm not talking about the predictive computer models (because that's a whole other can of worms). I'm talking about ice cores. Those things either can be disregarded or are accounted for. Take volcanoes for example. Solar variability: it's the same sun in the sky over everywhere. It couldn't really affect regions producing ice cores one way and the rest of the world in another way without scientists catching that. Volcanic eruptions? They're probably the easiest thing to spot, since their traces in ice cores can be visible even to the naked eye.

It's not that comparisons can't be similar over varying regions - but when the majority of these are coming from (of course) heavily snow-covered regions - the ice flow assumptions that are made are within models that incorporate even more variables.
Actually, the assumption here is by you, that the entire scientific community has failed to take into consideration the simple fact that ice cores can only be obtained in areas that have constantly been cold. That fact had to be accounted for before any meaningful analysis had been done at all. It's obvious that the air directly over permanent ice sheets is colder than the air directly over most places on the planet.

Core analyzers will note that flow corrections range from minimal to uncertainty.

Snow drifts between compacting cycles can greatly distort the information and in some areas where it is ideal for sublimation to occur - which would be many places the cores are collected from - the records can be incomplete, and so there is more assumption in modeling.
Sublimation of what? And yes, individual ice cores have broken records in many cases. Hence the comparison between them. When responsible scientists make claims related to these things, they are talking about areas where the numbers from ice cores correlate with each other. Your line of reasoning would also apply to paternity tests and many other DNA tests. They aren't computing a complete genome. They're matching sections that they can be confident are homologous.

"a general measurement of a population variable, is used to determine more about the variable, in regards to the variables role in the population"

That's why the data and the assumptions made from them can be inferred in so many ways...
Yes, but when done right, these techniques work. Or are you also disregarding the entire field of statistics?

T

train

Oversoul;289993 said:
In the same way that anything ever really is, at most, our best guess? Then why emphasize it?
(Statistical) Analysis is one of two things:
Complete - with all components intact, meaning there are no variables and no assumptions, the facts are the end all...
Incomplete - with some components intact, meaning there are variables and assumptions that must be made in order to attempt arriving at a feasible hypothesis.
(example at the end of all this to also address the statistic question...)

Oversoul;289993 said:
But I'm not talking about the predictive computer models (because that's a whole other can of worms). I'm talking about ice cores. Those things either can be disregarded or are accounted for. Take volcanoes for example. Solar variability: it's the same sun in the sky over everywhere. It couldn't really affect regions producing ice cores one way and the rest of the world in another way without scientists catching that. Volcanic eruptions? They're probably the easiest thing to spot, since their traces in ice cores can be visible even to the naked eye.
If solar Variability were not as much a factor, then there wouldn't be much difference between records as shown here
As for Volcanic activity - the ash particles that are brought back to earth easily by precipitation do not provide the "global" records. The particles providing the "global" similarities between cores for volcanic activity are the ones sent into the upper atmosphere that have the potential to travel farther from the source. So one eruption can taint multiple core samples - but does not mean that the climate model based on those samples is accurate.

Oversoul;289993 said:
Actually, the assumption here is by you, that the entire scientific community has failed to take into consideration the simple fact that ice cores can only be obtained in areas that have constantly been cold. That fact had to be accounted for before any meaningful analysis had been done at all. It's obvious that the air directly over permanent ice sheets is colder than the air directly over most places on the planet.
It wasn't an assumption. I stated it because they found a global source for similar sampling, but not all the flow modeling is similar. A correlation would be to dip a beaker into the Central Pacific Ocean and another the North Atlantic Ocean, and not take into account any ocean currents or tides. "How many similarities can I find. Hmmm... well - this must be how things were at the time."

Oversoul;289993 said:
Sublimation of what? And yes, individual ice cores have broken records in many cases. Hence the comparison between them. When responsible scientists make claims related to these things, they are talking about areas where the numbers from ice cores correlate with each other. Your line of reasoning would also apply to paternity tests and many other DNA tests. They aren't computing a complete genome. They're matching sections that they can be confident are homologous.
see the ocean example above... well... 80% of the water is the same from each beaker, so let's assume that the other 2%,3%,4%,5%,2%,2% and 2% parts were different for X, Y, and Z reasons. In paternity tests, you have both the input and the output so the analysis is complete. If they don't equal - it ain't happening. In other DNA tests you usually have two outputs - then there are assumptions to be made and analysis is incomplete.

Oversoul;289993 said:
Yes, but when done right, these techniques work. Or are you also disregarding the entire field of statistics?
statistical techniques are meant to provide analysis in unbiased manners and they can be put to use, when the analyzers also maintain an unbiased stance... However, statistics are methods and means that man has created in order to best represent what they are trying to communicate/interpret. But there is a difference in the type of statistics being used with ice cores... I stand firm on Ice Cores being incomplete.

Example of Complete: 3 variables, all accounted for
A Class of 100 students were surveyed on choosing all(X), some(Y) or none(Z) of something. All responded.
- 37% chose X
- 28% chose Y
- 35% chose Z
Determinations - all definite.

Example of Incomplete: Only 3 variables, some unaccounted for, with a relatively small margin of error... but major determinations from such a small margin...
A Class of 100 students were surveyed on choosing all(X), some(Y) or none(Z) of something. 92% responded. 8% did not respond, or surveys were lost, etc.
- 32% chose X
- 26% chose Y
- 34% chose Z
So...
According to another survey, the remaining 8% would have been 5 for X, 2 for Y, and 1 for Z.
Or
Logically, based on current rates, with the remaining surveys, Z would have had the most, then X, then Y
Or
IF Y was as appealing as Z, it could sweep remaining surveys and tie Z based on preference of Y over Z and X would have the least
Or
IF X was most appealing, it could seep remaining surveys and have the most, followed by Z, then Y
Or
Z could have the most, while X and Y tie
etc...

So - the more variables, which is what the ice cores are taking into account, the greater the mis-determination possible. When you begin to increase the possibility of mis-determination, you continue to decrease the possibility of certainty.

Ice cores are still soooooo young in the process, that when compared to some of the recent dinosaur fossil determinations, you wonder just how off the mark they may be. (IMO):cool:

E

EricBess

Oversoul;289993 said:
This actually brings up another question. Again, I don't know much about the research, but does the posibility exist that for some sort of distribution of temperature? I mean, isn't it possible that when the temperature over the ice cores is warmer for an extended period of time that the temperature over other areas is necessarily cooler during that same time period, rather than an assumption that it must be warmer also?

Again, I don't know much about it and perhaps this has been shown in some other way, but wouldn't that possibility be sort of contrary to the whole "global warming" argument?

I also agree with train that the ice core science is still incredibly young and we need to be careful making too many inferences.

Oversoul - I don't see how extending this to a paternity test is even remotely related. A child has 2 inputs (for lack of a better analogy) and 1 output based on those inputs. A paternity test takes information from the original output and an unknown to give a probability that the unknown was likely one of the original inputs. There isn't much margin for error here. The possibility exists for a false positive, but there is sufficient variety for this to be unlikely. A false negative would be nearly impossible. There are far more variables in ice cores. Perhaps I have misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Bah. It's dead week right now. I was going to get back to this, but it will have to wait until some time next week.

Anyway, I guess this is what I get for trying to use something kind of esoteric (paternity testing, apparently) to make a point about something else kind of esoteric (ice cores). But no, paternity testing (and DNA analysis in general) doesn't the way you seem to think it does, Train. Or so I gather from your post, which is a bit confusing anyway so I'm not sure. Like I said, I need to just ignore this and get back to it after finals.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Alright, it's been a while. Where were we? Oh yes...

train;289999 said:
(Statistical) Analysis is one of two things:
Complete - with all components intact, meaning there are no variables and no assumptions, the facts are the end all...
Incomplete - with some components intact, meaning there are variables and assumptions that must be made in order to attempt arriving at a feasible hypothesis.
(example at the end of all this to also address the statistic question...)
Okay, I don't know where you got this, but your first category looks like a myth. Something that doesn't actually exist. Or rather, it could exist in some sort of simple system, but then it wouldn't be statistical analysis at all. It wouldn't be statistical for sure and I don't see the point in calling it analysis either. For the sake of the argument, assuming something has ever fallen into your first category and also deserves to be called statistical analysis, I contend that your second category does not encompass all of the rest of statistical analysis. In particular, statistical analysis is not always done with the goal of generating an hypothesis. Actually, I can't think of any examples where that is the goal, although I could conceive of unusual cases where it would be.

If solar Variability were not as much a factor, then there wouldn't be much difference between records as shown here
What? Of course there are regional differences in received solar radiation. I would think that should be obvious. It also has nothing to do with this. I thought we'd already been over this. Global glacial cycles, anthropogenic global warming, etc. are distinct from (typically more obvious) regional variation in things like cloud cover.

Because ice cores have been taken from geographically disparate regions, it is unreasonable to conclude that regional variation could have a systematic confounding effect. And if the effect isn't systematic, it can be detected through discrepancies in cores from different regions. I know I've said something like this before...

...all of which is almost moot when it comes to this particular point: as far as I know, solar radiation could not affect isotope fractionation outside its effect on temperature, so the temperature readings aren't any more or less accurate from this.

As for Volcanic activity - the ash particles that are brought back to earth easily by precipitation do not provide the "global" records. The particles providing the "global" similarities between cores for volcanic activity are the ones sent into the upper atmosphere that have the potential to travel farther from the source. So one eruption can taint multiple core samples - but does not mean that the climate model based on those samples is accurate.
What? This doesn't even make sense. I thought that earlier you were contending that ice core data could be confounded locally by volcanic eruptions. Now you're talking about a global effect. If it's global, then your hypothetical problem goes away anyway.

It wasn't an assumption. I stated it because they found a global source for similar sampling, but not all the flow modeling is similar. A correlation would be to dip a beaker into the Central Pacific Ocean and another the North Atlantic Ocean, and not take into account any ocean currents or tides. "How many similarities can I find. Hmmm... well - this must be how things were at the time."
That isn't what the word "correlation" means. I gather that you mean "analogy."

And no, that isn't analogous. It's completely different on so many levels that...actually, I can only think of one level on which it's at all similar. There is a whole lot of ocean. And there's a whole lot of atmosphere too. And both for your hypothetical beaker-dipping and for ice cores, only relatively small samples are being taken. But there the similarity ends. Every single other thing about ice cores is completely different from your example.

Perhaps most importantly, ice cores exploit a naturally occurring record of the past. Your beaker example doesn't.

But actually, if we set all that aside, the one similarity between them has a key difference that perhaps you're overlooking. Your beakers are a very small sample. And I don't mean relatively small. I mean small. It isn't the size of the population or the size of the sample relative to the population that's important for statistical analysis. It's the raw size of the sample. Many ice cores have been processed and more data from ice cores is being collected right now. The sample continues to grow. To be fair, you should be dipping dozens of beakers into several ocean locations. And actually, you could get some good data from that. Let's say you were interested in the concentration of a certain chemical in the ocean. If all of your beakers were coming up with similar numbers, you wouldn't need to worry about currents or tides. They don't have any means of affecting the results. If I objected that you hadn't factored them in, you could rightly disregard my objection.

In paternity tests, you have both the input and the output so the analysis is complete.
Wrong! Sequencing an entire genome is expensive. Oh, it's been done. And it's getting cheaper. But there's no reason to do it for a paternity test, as "incomplete" methods work just as well.

If they don't equal - it ain't happening. In other DNA tests you usually have two outputs - then there are assumptions to be made and analysis is incomplete.
Yeah, I don't know what got you so hung up on this concept of "completeness." It doesn't reflect at all on how scientists actually work. It's almost always impossible or impractical to have all of the data on anything. Sampling works.

statistical techniques are meant to provide analysis in unbiased manners and they can be put to use, when the analyzers also maintain an unbiased stance... However, statistics are methods and means that man has created in order to best represent what they are trying to communicate/interpret. But there is a difference in the type of statistics being used with ice cores... I stand firm on Ice Cores being incomplete.
It's fine if you don't understand how ice core analysis works or how DNA testing works. There are several components of both that I know little to nothing about myself. These are complicated things.

You also seem to have little understanding of statistical techniques. That's fine too. Just don't preach about them then.

Example of Complete: 3 variables, all accounted for
A Class of 100 students were surveyed on choosing all(X), some(Y) or none(Z) of something. All responded.
- 37% chose X
- 28% chose Y
- 35% chose Z
Determinations - all definite.
That's actually only one variable (with three levels). See, this is what I mean about the preaching. I don't mean that to be condescending and maybe another term would be better, but that's how this comes across to me. At any rate, you are trying to explain statistics to me, but you're getting something wrong that is so basic, it signals to me that you don't actually know anything about statistics.

Again, I don't want this to be harsh. But I can't really come to any other conclusion when you go and do something like this.

Example of Incomplete: Only 3 variables, some unaccounted for, with a relatively small margin of error... but major determinations from such a small margin...
A Class of 100 students were surveyed on choosing all(X), some(Y) or none(Z) of something. 92% responded. 8% did not respond, or surveys were lost, etc.
- 32% chose X
- 26% chose Y
- 34% chose Z
So...
According to another survey, the remaining 8% would have been 5 for X, 2 for Y, and 1 for Z.
Or
Logically, based on current rates, with the remaining surveys, Z would have had the most, then X, then Y
Or
IF Y was as appealing as Z, it could sweep remaining surveys and tie Z based on preference of Y over Z and X would have the least
Or
IF X was most appealing, it could seep remaining surveys and have the most, followed by Z, then Y
Or
Z could have the most, while X and Y tie
etc...

So - the more variables, which is what the ice cores are taking into account, the greater the mis-determination possible. When you begin to increase the possibility of mis-determination, you continue to decrease the possibility of certainty.
Not to beat a dead horse, but this is also wrong. Yes, ice cores generate data for several variables, but that's because those are the things scientists found meaningful and figured out how to measure. An ice core doesn't say to itself, "I have ten variables." Scientists just measure what they can. If, for example, they later go on to compare the data for carbon dioxide concentration (based on direct measurement) and temperature (based on isotopic fractionation) the data for those two variables isn't somehow less accurate just because they also happened to measure several other variables from the same core.

Ice cores are still soooooo young in the process, that when compared to some of the recent dinosaur fossil determinations, you wonder just how off the mark they may be. (IMO):cool:
Yes, I do wonder! But like I talked about earlier in this thread, with practical applications for the same techniques that are being used in ice core analysis, it would seem that they can't be that far off the mark.

Not sure what you mean about dinosaur fossils. Care to elaborate?

EricBess;290010 said:
This actually brings up another question. Again, I don't know much about the research, but does the posibility exist that for some sort of distribution of temperature? I mean, isn't it possible that when the temperature over the ice cores is warmer for an extended period of time that the temperature over other areas is necessarily cooler during that same time period, rather than an assumption that it must be warmer also?
But we would have seen that effect unless it magically disappeared some time in the 19th century. Also, there's no mechanism for it. If it's just Antarctica we're talking about, then sure. But now that we've got ice cores from other parts of the world, in order for the temperature to be higher over all of those places while it's simultaneously lower than normal over the warmer places in the world would require something to actually cause that. Not necessarily a heat-shifting sky-genie or anything (that's the first thing that came to mind), but still it would have to be something unprecedented in scientific discovery thus far.

I also agree with train that the ice core science is still incredibly young and we need to be careful making too many inferences.
Young like genetics?

Oversoul - I don't see how extending this to a paternity test is even remotely related. A child has 2 inputs (for lack of a better analogy) and 1 output based on those inputs. A paternity test takes information from the original output and an unknown to give a probability that the unknown was likely one of the original inputs. There isn't much margin for error here. The possibility exists for a false positive, but there is sufficient variety for this to be unlikely. A false negative would be nearly impossible. There are far more variables in ice cores. Perhaps I have misunderstood what you were trying to say.
Okay, so when they do a paternity test, they don't generate complete genomic sequences because it's time-consuming and expensive to do so. What they do is clone the DNA a bunch, then use special enzymes to extract DNA from certain regions of the genome containing repetitive sequences. A lot of the genome is repetitive, actually, but the parts that are of interest in paternity tests are highly variable among the general population. Get enough of them to line up, and it's astronomically unlikely that the similarity is due to chance.

For a variety of reasons, a single ice core isn't likely to have an unbroken record of atmospheric data. I was saying that to reject ice cores on this basis would mean that one should also reject paternity tests and most other DNA tests. They don't have unbroken records either.

D

DarthFerret

Ok, time for me to toss a word in here, however, trying to read through this thread actually made me feel kind of inferior, intellectually speaking. So here are my true thoughts on the subject of global warming.

First off, (and just to be a bit of a rascal) the extreemly liberal Houston Chronicle (and most of the sources that they use) has changed the terminology to climate change. I assume that this is due to people using the mistaken claim "Well, if it is global warming, why did Texas get so much snow and ice this year?". Yes, it is much more complicated than that.

However, in a nutshell, does the climate of the planet shift? Of course it does. It shifts day to day, season to season, year to year. So why not decade to decade or even era to era?

Can anything be done about it? I am sure that if we went to extreem measures, yes, mankind could cause planet-wide climate alteration. (Nuclear winter, etc...) However, I think it is pretty far fetched to think that one small group of people can affect something that large with the small efforts that are being pushed at this time. I am not arguing if any effort should be made or not. All I am saying is that looking at any effort that will not affect the entire planet on a global scale is kind of pointless.

I also do not think that humans themselves have yet been able to change the climate of the planet as a whole. I have heard a lot of the arguments by both sides of the issue, and I usually laugh. Ok, so if I drive my car to work by myself everyday I am causing enough emmisions to create a greenhouse effect? By using my aerosol cans (not the current ones I am guessing) I am creating a hole in the O-zone? (Wouldn't the extra emmisions from my car plug this whole **yes a joke**) By switching to lights that are 3 times as costly, and need a Hazmat crew on hand to clean up accidental breakage, I am saving enough power that the coal buring plant puts out less emmissions? A lot of this just seems a bit silly.

Yes if EVERYONE took some of the aforementioned actions, then maybe it would have a minute affect on a global scale. However, if EVERYONE decided to become a member of PETA, then we would soon be overrun by more animals (domesticated and wild alike) than we could handle (thus my statement that PETA means People Eating Tasty Animals).

As for some of the other stuff I have seen in this thread, from ice cores, to paternity tests, I am clueless, and wish to remain so.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I also do not think that humans themselves have yet been able to change the climate of the planet as a whole. I have heard a lot of the arguments by both sides of the issue, and I usually laugh. Ok, so if I drive my car to work by myself everyday I am causing enough emmisions to create a greenhouse effect? By using my aerosol cans (not the current ones I am guessing) I am creating a hole in the O-zone?
All I can say is that 6 billion plus people on the planet sure can affect something. Yeah, they're not ALL doing the same thing (babies aren't driving cars, etc), but the people who ARE doing it are more than compensating for it. Plus, you have deforestation, pollution (c'mon, anyone local can tell you river/streams/lakes were cleaner x amount of years ago than today, especially if you take away any cleaning plants) and humans have the upper hand.

And hey, how about Iceland's Volcanic Eruption? :) (That's not human-related, just an event that can potentially affect the climate globally).

D

DarthFerret

You kinda missed my point. The point is that the efforts (both to cause and prevent pollution) would have to be a global effort on the part of mankind. Thus, making a "law" in America, wont change anything. People in other countries will still do what they do. Anything that would need to be done (provided that the need can be proven, as I am not convinced of this myself yet), would need to be done by EVERYBODY (or as near as you can get to that). This is not going to happen. Even if, say, you get a majority of people that agree to something, this is not to say that everyone will abide by it. As far as I know, a majority of people believe that eating healty will help promote a longer life. Yet McDonalds and other chains are billion dollar companies. Thus my argument is that there really is no solution that mankind will ever be able to implement (short of some sort of horrid global dictatorship, which I assume we can all agree would not be a good thing)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It could be a benevolent dictatorship :)

Okay, if that was your point, I agree with you. However, if you mitigate the biggest offenders, then you don't have to do the whole world. Right now, it's the US and other industrialized countries but the other "third world" countries are coming up fast and of course you have two of the biggest populations in China and India. Take care of the few big guys and the little guys won't matter as much.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret;290478 said:
Thus my argument is that there really is no solution that mankind will ever be able to implement (short of some sort of horrid global dictatorship, which I assume we can all agree would not be a good thing)
You have a point here. It takes this on a whole other track from the types of things I was talking about, which is fine, I just don't want to jump all over the place. I don't think I can resist though...

So...

...You said no solution? Doesn't this seem at all pessimistic? Yeah, using different light bulbs, even if lots of people do it, isn't going to do much by itself? But it's not like any one small thing has to solve the problem by itself. Small things can add up. More importantly, there will probably be big things. Technological breakthroughs. But some big things that could cut tons and tons of carbon dioxide emissions don't even need breakthroughs, because they're technologies that already exist (like thorium reactors).

E

EricBess

I like how you put it Oversoul. The area where I agree with DarthFerret, however is that if government wants to get involved, they should do so by encouraging people do to things a certain way, not forcing people to do so.

If this is such a good cause, let's find ways to innovate and make it make sense to everyone rather than ramming it down our throats.

Lightbulbs is a good example. A lot of people want to keep their old light bulbs because of the murcury issue. Personally, I like the new light bulbs. They may be a bit more expensive, but they are sturdier (I don't think I've ever had one break on me), they last far longer (thus making them more cost efficient even at a higher purchase price), and I like the light they give off better. The fact that they are supposedly "better for the environment" is a nice plus.

Our economy is seriously hurting right now. Now is not the time to force everyone over to a far more expensive power option. Rather, now is the time to be researching how to become more effecient so that the "green" power option is more cost effective. As you say, for some of these items, technology exists. And if it is good technology, then lets further research and get it happening more efficiently so that everyone can afford it. Then we can introduce it without bankrupting more people.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You know, I don't really have much to add to that, EB. I agree with just about everything you said there...

Really, my biggest concern here, much more than I'm concerned about global warming, is that the science has been so politicized here. I find it worrisome whenever this happens, and only moreso when it's something that's potentially so important in the future or maybe even important right now, which anthropogenic global warming might be. I don't know who to blame for this and even if I did, placing blame is probably not productive. But I do find it disconcerting.

Oh, one thing actually...

EricBess;290537 said:
Our economy is seriously hurting right now. Now is not the time to force everyone over to a far more expensive power option. Rather, now is the time to be researching how to become more effecient so that the "green" power option is more cost effective. As you say, for some of these items, technology exists. And if it is good technology, then lets further research and get it happening more efficiently so that everyone can afford it. Then we can introduce it without bankrupting more people.
Not to ram my pro-nuke stance down everyone's throats here, but in my estimation, the barriers for nuclear power, in several different varieties (some of them relatively new, others that are around as old as my parents, which seems pretty ancient to me) are entirely political. There are practical considerations, but they seem almost superficial (or blown out of proportion anyway).

In a way, concerns about global warming might actually help to surmount some of these political barriers. Amusingly or perhaps perversely, that could be the case even if it turns out that global warming wasn't as much of a problem as we thought it was. Not that I advocate exploiting fears about global warming in order to move people to a pro-nuke stance...

...uh, at least in principle. I guess that I actually did this to sort of convert one of my friends to the, uh, dark side.

E

EricBess

Realistically, I don't know enough about the science of global warming, but we definitely agree about the politics.

So...why don't we have more nuclear power plants? Are they cleaner energy? My understanding is that we can already make them effeciently, so they can generate power far more efficiently than wind can right now and take up less space than solar currently does.

Isn't this another political thing? Like offshore drilling, isn't the reason we don't have more nuclear power plants because they are blocked by politicians? I mean...I know that there are potential dangers in a nuclear plant if things go drastically wrong, but haven't we built in enough safeguards that this is infintessimal at this point?

D

DarthFerret

Agreed EB, I am actually a big proponent of Nuclear power. I know people seem to get scared when talking Nuclear, however, few realize this is vastly different from Atomics (which is what we used in WWII in Japan). Also, if you look at the track records for coal plants, and other refineries (kinda related) you will see accidents pretty frequently, that do endanger the surrounding population. (At my last employment, got stuck in a town due to a shelter in place during a BP accident which released some toxins into the air)

It is probably a bunch of political activists that are blocking nuclear power (just conjecture on my part) similar to the PETA (People eating tasty animals?) people trying to stop fur coats.

I wish people would adopt a Spock philosophy (Good of the many outways good of the few) attitude and stop worrying about what might "offend" a select few individuals. This is what democracy is about. The right to vote (majority rules), the right to speak out against what you do not believe in, the right to assemble (to prove a majority, or be heard without censorship), etc. It does not include the "right to not be offended" as several people would like it to. Thus my motto: This is America, a majority rules government is what it is intended to me, if you don't like it, move!

turgy22

Nothing Special
DarthFerret;290618 said:
Agreed EB, I am actually a big proponent of Nuclear power. I know people seem to get scared when talking Nuclear, however, few realize this is vastly different from Atomics (which is what we used in WWII in Japan).
I think the fear comes much more from incidents like Chernobyl and 3 Mile Island than it does from Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

That being said, I agree that it's really only fear that's holding back the development of nuclear power in this country. After the 3MI accident, nuclear plant production all but came to a stop in this country, even though (to my knowledge) no one was hurt, killed or otherwise effected by that event. People were just afraid, no one wanted to live near a reactor and no one wants to deal with the waste products from nuclear production. All the while, in the past 30 years, nuclear plants have gotten safer, more efficient and less wasteful, really making them the best energy option available right now. I really don't understand why we haven't moved forward in ramping up the production of nuclear reactors, which could seriously drive down energy costs and simultaneously reduce pollution.

Of course, as Chernobyl proved, if you make one mistake with nuclear power, the events can be catastrophic - much more so than with coal or oil - so that's a factor that must always be accounted for when making such decisions.

E

EricBess

3-Mile Island and Chernobyl were the two that came to my mind as well. 3-Mile Island was a long time ago with a lot fewer safeguards in place and Chernobyl was run in a communist atmosphere, so it's probably accurate that safety wasn't their #1 focus.