Get out the Vote(MtG)

C

Captain Caveman

I would like to ask everyone to go over to the Sideboard online
and vote for there favorite Pro player.

I would like to nominate Robert Dougherty. I do not know him
but I believe that if he won the invitional he would design a
good card for all of us to use. He is willing to play/design rogue
decks so he's will to think outside the box.

Feel free to ignore this plug or vote for whomever you like.

Thanks,
Bob (a.k.a. Caveman)

T

train

Feel free to ignore this plug or vote for whomever you like.
Classic...

I'm a rogue/utility person myself - so he's in the running for my vote...

E

EricBess

I've met Rob and I would also like to vouch for him of deserving of a vote.

Gary Wise has an article on Sideboard online in which he lists 4 people who he thinks are a shoe-in for the vote. IMO, there is at least one of these people that I do not feel is so deserving, so I would recommend not voting for these people just on the basis of name recognition. If you know them (or of them) and feel they are deserving, then go ahead, but I'm not sure that I voted for any of them myself.

N

Nightstalkers

Sorry, I don't follow the pro-tour anymore...

Bad memories, and a loss of interest in it.

Ferret

Staff member
There was a time I actually kept track of the pro tour and their players - then, the CPA was created and The Dojo died...now, all I can think of is how casual players are treated at sanctionned events in my area (even on Friday Night Magic....)

-Ferret

"Where's Wakefield when you need someone to vote for?"

C

Captain Caveman

Steve, did you find it yet?

YJ, I'm not sure. You could check the list for his name.

I've never played a Pro level person(to my knowledge)but I'm
sure a few of them are not :rolleyes:

I chose Mr. Dougherty because I'm going to assume he is like
us.

N

Notepad

>> There was a time I actually kept track of the pro tour and their players - then, the CPA was created and The Dojo died...now, all I can think of is how casual players are treated at sanctionned events in my area (even on Friday Night Magic....)

Its too bad the CPA isn't a stronger political entity like the founders wanted. The tournament path WotC has taken has definitely been a bad one for casual players. All those advertising fliers in the packs, all the sets being created with limited in mind (and as such, with purposely weak commons). Bleh...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How should the tournament path be more accomodating to casual players?

And I disagree with sets being made with limited in mind; besides that fact that cards are made for ALL sets (except maybe Type 1 because most powered cards are already out there, although Mark has said a card in Mirridon was made specifically with Type 1 in mind), I've never personally had a complaint that a set's cards were useless for my play.

T

train

Is there a reason we couldn't try to push the political entity of the CPA again - we do get readers from the WoTC ranks do we not?...

T

train

Maybe a push for something like Unglued 2... we know they have the cards - where's the set...

Unglued sells like mad, Unglued 2 would do the same...

Also - push for formats of casual types that bring more a tournament stature for "fun" play... Alternate wins, etc. This would include rules implementation for those types of play...

Also - maybe look at casual players like ourselves for testing concepts - such as breaking cards... It takes a lot of time to break something for tourney - but with the carefree minds of casual players ideas not thought of may be brought to light...

I'd personally like to see a push for the development of a multiplayer development team... Make teams - a true team format... not individual standings added together.

There is nothing wrong with a team all playing a multiplayer game, and not being allowed to play the same decks... Synergy between concepts and ideas would become more evident to the game...

Much like the mixing of the recent zombies and teen girl squad decks in Onslaught block...

And an overall push for more casual play... awards for sportsmanship... deck creativity... etc...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Did Unglued sell like mad? I know it was geared towards casual players, but personally, I didn't buy any and of the guy in my playgroup who has some, he doesn't play with them with us. I think it has the same idea as Portal; if the cards are non-tourney, then they're not likely to be used. But I'd have to see numbers for this to bear out.

I honestly don't think casual play can co-exist with current tournament formats. Why? You have to look at the basic idea of a tournament: to win or be number one. How do you achieve this goal? To have the nearest possible best deck (at least for your matchups). How do you have that? To have the most efficient cards possible for the type of deck you're playing and keep and advantage over your opponent, whether it be cards, tempo, time, or any combination. In other words, a tourney deck is going to be lean and mean.

Meanwhile, a casual deck isn't so concerned about that. Sure, it'd like to win, but it might concentrate on a theme like creatures or try to use "unused" cards which more likely than not, are not used in the tourney scene for a reason (too costly, not efficient, whatever). It's "not so lean."

The closest I can think of to a casual format is 5-Color, but it usually uses the best cards of each of the colors as a base.

I don't know much about teams so I can't comment there. But from what I understand years ago, teams were just individuals who deck-tested together and bounced ideas off of each other, but still played individual (almost like swimming).

Now, you could push for MP formats like highlander, two headed giant, etc...

T

train

Did Unglued sell like mad? But I'd have to see numbers for this to bear out.
I don't know how many cases of it that Hatter got in, but it was all gone before the Mirage Visions and Weatherlight - which they still have as of this spring(haven't been there since...) The biggest sellers for Unglued were the Land, and tokens... but the set was collected, and a lot of the cards did see some play on fun nights... I also know people buying portal just for the wrath of god...:eek:

A lot of things become famous, or make a set famous - but it really is up to the market to determine how it comes back...

Like WoTC said - they are going to try and stick to printing sets that can all be used in tournament if wanted by the players... but this leaves out the much bigger casual scene - the decks played when a tourney is not going on...

That's why I think unglued would make a strong showing if printed again... And having a tourney with unglued for local shops makes for a fun night for everyone!...

I honestly don't think casual play can co-exist with current tournament formats... The closest I can think of to a casual format is 5-Color, but it usually uses the best cards of each of the colors as a base.
I semi-agree... I think they can implement a more casual format that requires some templating - much like a banned and restricted list does now... and they could push it to big money/prizes - if they so wished to do so...

Ex.: Welcome to the Magic Type "Train" Tourney... make sure your deck only has... They could choose a creature theme, 5-color, etc... and considering it would be backed by WoTC with prizes/cash - people would build decks to play in it - but this would also expose players to a more casual theme - and when playtesting, they may playtest against more casual decks...

I don't know much about teams so I can't comment there... teams were just individuals who deck-tested together and bounced ideas off of each other, but still played individual (almost like swimming).
They do still play individual - but in team tourneys - they face another "team" then each team member is paired against a member from the opposing team and the overall winner(best record) wins... I think this is a great opportunity for 2/3-headed giant(where the decks have to be all different) and thus not watching 6 wake decks play the mirror... The pairings at random can definitely make things more interesting.

Even Star tourneys - where each player has to have mono-colored decks of each color, and play in a round robin randomly paired multiplayer format would be cool... That would take 5 - 25 players, and the top X(based on points) players advance to single elim where they can then play constructed/draft/rochester etc...

There are so many possibilities... that's how rochester got invented -some local shop's idea caught on...

It can happen... question is, can someone/an entity push WoTC in the right direction to support this...

Truth be told...

A lot of casual players would play in tourneys where formats like this were prevalent, and boxes/cash were given out...

I'm running low on fuel for this local Loco...

train.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of good thoughts. I think we need some other opinions, to see how strong this is among other people.

T

train

Should I take this full blown thing to political or is there another forum better suited for it?...

R

rkoelsch

I always liked the Arena league and felt it was more casual with its varying formats.