Generosity: Collector Protector

E

Ephraim

I don't have a whole lot of time to get this deck together. I'd like it to be ready for the first annual Magic: The Gathering game day this Saturday. I want to have a protection deck that will basically be an excuse for me to give away cards to new players. (Don't worry about the supply of cards. I could probably prevent 2,000 damage with Collector Protector and not miss a thing.) I intend for it to be mono-white and highly defensive.

The following cards are "must-includes:"
3 Collector Protector
1+ Jade Monolith

I would also like to include 3+ Wing Shards. I intend to avoid Circles/Runes of Protection and Story Circle, though. I'd like for a lot of the damage prevention to me to come from Collector Protector. I have a Myojin of Cleansing Fire that will probably be one of my win conditions. Serra Angel is a classic and, therefore, a shoe-in.

This is a very open-ended experiment. The deck doesn't have to be especially good as long as it survives long enough to get Collector Protector into play and use it liberally.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have Collection Protector showing up in either Apprentice w/the latest patch or Gatherer... :confused:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks.
  • You can use the en-Kor creatures to redirect dmg to the Protector.
  • You can use Worship since it seems at least one of your creatures can survive (barring a Wrath Of God effect) :)
  • Zhalfirin Crusader
  • Zealous Inquisitor

E

Ephraim

Outrider en-Kor will definitely be in the deck. I don't think that I have any Worship, but Zealous Inquisitor works. It's also possible that I will include Wall of Shards. Decking seems like a dishonourable way for a white defensive deck to win, though, so maybe not. I guess that a big angel could overcome that kind of life gain. Once I've established control of the board, I just refuse to pay the wall's cost and let it die.

E

Ephraim

Here is the deck on which I have settled. Some of the cards that I thought would be in the deck have been left out, but Collector Protector is still part of my strategy. I have a stack of 84 cards at the moment that I could give away. About 14 of them are rare, including some good stuff, like Debtor's Knell and Mystic Snake. I'm going to shuffle up the pile and whenever I activate Collector Protector, flip over the top card of the stack. I plan on sorting through a few of my older sets yet for some cards that some new players may have never seen before.

Creatures (26)
3 Nomads en-Kor
4 Martyr of Sands
4 Squall Drifter
2 Order of the White Shield
2 White Shield Crusader
2 Spirit en-Kor
3 Foriysian Interceptor
3 Collector Protector
1 Darien, King of Kjeldor
1 Myojin of Cleansing Fire
1 Blazing Archon

Spells (12)
2 Coldsteel Heart
3 Thunder Totem
3 Orim's Prayer
3 Breath of Life
1 Alabaster Potion

Land (23)
2 Forbidding Watchtower
21 Plains

E

Ephraim

I didn't stick around at the event all that long after the main tournament so I only got to play the deck once. Collector Protector had Faith's Fetters slapped on him the turn after he came into play, so nothing happened there. That said, the en-Kor creatures combined with high toughness creatures like Foriysian Interceptor really let me ignore my opponent's offense while I dug for Blazing Archon or Myojin of Cleansing Fire. I think I need to find something with which to replace Darien, King of Kjeldor. He has a nifty ability, but he just wasn't big enough.