Gatecrash Event Decks: Spidey (Rally and Rout) vs Oversoul (Thrive and Thrash)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I assume that's "No" to the first two and "Yes" to the last one.

So your Geist dies from first strike and comes back via the Undying, do you choose to pair it again with Wolfir?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You take 2 from the Legionnaire.

Spidey: 10
Hand: 1
Library: 44
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Mt x3
(T,T,T) Plains x3
(U) Boros Guildgate (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add R or W to my mana pool)
(U) Clifftop Retreat (~ ETB tapped unless I control a Mt or Plains.; T: Add R or W to my mana pool)

(U) Truefire Paladin (2/2; Vigilance; RW: ~ gets +2/+0 ueot.; RW: ~ gains first strike ueot)
(T) Skyknight Legionnaire (2/2; Flying, haste)
(U) Sunhome Guildmage (2/2; 1RW: Creatures I control get +1/+0 ueot,; 2RW: Create a 1/1 red and white Soldier creature token with haste)
(U) Boros Elite (1/1; Battalion-Whenever ~ and at least two other creatures attack, ~ gets +2/+2 ueot)
(U) Soldier creature token (1/1; Haste)

Graveyard: Pillar of Flame, Champion of the Parish, Pillar of Flame
Exile:
================================================================================
Oversoul: 9
Library: 42
Battlefield:

(U) Island
(T) Island *enchanted with Verdant Haven*
(U) Mountain
(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Forest *enchanted with Verdant Haven*

(U) Strangleroot Geist (7/6 from ctrs; Haste. Undying.) *Soulbonded to Wolfir Silverheart* *1 +1/+1 ctr*
(U) Wolfir Silverheart (8/8; Soulbond, as long as ~ is paired with another creature, each of those creatures gets +4/+4.) *Soulbonded to Geist #2*
(U) Beast token (3/3)

(U) Verdant Haven (When ~ etb, I gain 2 life. Whenever enchanted land is tapped for mana, I add one mana of any color to my mana pool.) *enchanting Island*
(U) Verdant Haven (When ~ etb, I gain 2 life. Whenever enchanted land is tapped for mana, I add one mana of any color to my mana pool.) *enchanting Forest*

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Farseek, Strangleroot Geist, Thragtusk, Arbor Elf
Exile: Mist Raven, Fog Bank

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD, Borderland Ranger searching for Island, play Island, done. :(

Library: 44
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Mt x3
(T,T,T) Plains x3
(U) Clifftop Retreat (~ ETB tapped unless I control a Mt or Plains.; T: Add R or W to my mana pool)

(U) Truefire Paladin (2/2; Vigilance; RW: ~ gets +2/+0 ueot.; RW: ~ gains first strike ueot)
(U) Sunhome Guildmage (2/2; 1RW: Creatures I control get +1/+0 ueot,; 2RW: Create a 1/1 red and white Soldier creature token with haste)
(U) Boros Elite (1/1; Battalion-Whenever ~ and at least two other creatures attack, ~ gets +2/+2 ueot)

Exile:
================================================================================
Library: 40
Battlefield:

(T,U) Island
(U) Island *enchanted with Verdant Haven*
(U) Mountain
(U,U) Forest x2
(T) Forest *enchanted with Verdant Haven*

(U) Strangleroot Geist (7/6 from ctrs; Haste. Undying.) *Soulbonded to Wolfir Silverheart* *1 +1/+1 ctr*
(U) Wolfir Silverheart (8/8; Soulbond, as long as ~ is paired with another creature, each of those creatures gets +4/+4.) *Soulbonded to Geist #2*
(U) Beast token (3/3)
(S) Borderland Ranger (2/2; When ~ etb, I may search my library for a basic land and put it into my hand, then shuffle my library.)

(U) Verdant Haven (When ~ etb, I gain 2 life. Whenever enchanted land is tapped for mana, I add one mana of any color to my mana pool.) *enchanting Island*
(U) Verdant Haven (When ~ etb, I gain 2 life. Whenever enchanted land is tapped for mana, I add one mana of any color to my mana pool.) *enchanting Forest*

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Plains
Attack with Paladin and Legionnaire
Responses/blocks?

Library: 43
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Mt x3
(U,U,U,U) Plains x4

(U,A) Truefire Paladin (2/2; Vigilance; RW: ~ gets +2/+0 ueot.; RW: ~ gains first strike ueot)
(T,A) Skyknight Legionnaire (2/2; Flying, haste)

Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,U) Island
(U) Mountain
(U,U) Forest x2

(U) Beast token (3/3)
(S) Borderland Ranger (2/2; When ~ etb, I may search my library for a basic land and put it into my hand, then shuffle my library.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ranger dies and you take 2
Done

Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Mt x3
(T,U,U,U) Plains x4

Exile:
Oversoul: 7
Battlefield:

(T,U) Island
(U) Mountain
(U,U) Forest x2

(U) Beast token (3/3)

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Farseek, Strangleroot Geist, Thragtusk, Arbor Elf, Borderland Ranger

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD, Farseek grabbing Forest, done.

Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Mt x3
(T,U,U,U) Plains x4

Exile:
Library: 39
Battlefield:

(U,U) Island
(U) Mountain
(U,U,U) Forest x3

(U) Beast token (3/3)

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Farseek, Strangleroot Geist, Thragtusk, Arbor Elf, Borderland Ranger, Farseek

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
EOT, create a Soldier creature token

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Slayer's Stronghold
Truefire Paladin
Use the Stronghold on that Paladin
Alpha strike
Responses/blocks/game?

Hand: 0
Library: 42
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Mt x3
(T,T,U,U) Plains x4
(T) Slayer's Stronghold (T: Add C to my mana pool.; RW, T: Target creature gets +2/+0 and gains vigilance and haste ueot)

(U,A) Truefire Paladin (2/2; Vigilance; RW: ~ gets +2/+0 ueot.; RW: ~ gains first strike ueot)
(T,A) Skyknight Legionnaire (2/2; Flying, haste)
(T,A) Sunhome Guildmage (2/2; 1RW: Creatures I control get +1/+0 ueot,; 2RW: Create a 1/1 red and white Soldier creature token with haste)
(T,A) Boros Elite (3/3 from Battalion; Battalion-Whenever ~ and at least two other creatures attack, ~ gets +2/+2 ueot)
(T,A) Soldier creature token (1/1; Haste)
(T,A) Soldier creature token (1/1; Haste)
(U,A) Truefire Paladin (4/2; haste from Stronghold, Vigilance; RW: ~ gets +2/+0 ueot.; RW: ~ gains first strike ueot)

Exile:
Library: 39
Battlefield:

(U,U) Island
(U) Mountain
(U,U,U) Forest x3

(U) Beast token (3/3)

Graveyard: Evolving Wilds, Farseek, Strangleroot Geist, Thragtusk, Arbor Elf, Borderland Ranger, Farseek

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I don't have enough blockers to stop all of those guys and pumping them with Sunhome Guildmage kills me no matter what. Good game.

I see that for the last set to get two Event Decks, they went with "the good one" and "the bad one." On the upside, the rumors I heard about Rally and Rout being good seem substantiated. You might have been in trouble if I'd been playing a deck with actual answers to creatures, but it seems like the deck has a fair amount of flexibility. Truefire Paladin is every bit as respectable a creature as the old-school pump knights.

So, what's next? Pair the Event Decks from subsequent sets against each other? Dragon's Maze vs. M14 and so forth...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Good game! Yeah, I guess my guys finally "rallied"... if you had kept putting out creatures, not sure I would have been able to handle them or keep up.

Yeah, I guess so. That sounds as good as anything else.