Gas/Oil

B

BigBlue

Am I seeing at least one thing we all agree on, that the Muppets are cool? Wow... :)

You can find a scientist to support just about any side of an arguement you want to. Why is this?

Putting it simply... The scientific method is as follows... You start with a hypothesis, which is what you (the scientist or group of scientists) expect to be true. Then, you either gather actual data, or model what you're studying and gather data from the model. Lastly you analyze the data to see if your hypothesis was correct.

So, what can go wrong? Lot's of things - and these aren't counting unethical things which can happen...

If you are using an actual sample, you could get a flawed sample or one which isn't a truly "random". Your control group could be tainted in some unknown way. Your sensors might be faulty and thus you get incorrect readings.

If you're using a model, pretty much all the things in the real samples also apply - and additionally you might make an assumption about what is significant or not and completely missrepresent reality in your model.

In short, really one study is not usually enough to "change" scientists minds... that is why most studies are documented vigorously so that another group of scientists can perform the same tests to validate your results. Often, this is where they find flaws...

Members of the mainstream media, often not at all scietific themselves, will report on the conclusions of one study - sometimes before they have been validated. Politicians can fall in the same trap, especially if they are only given part of the story - as a lobbyist might do intentionally... one hopes our politicians are thorough... but I don't think they always are - and some (most) of them have political agendas.

So, all this arguing about one or two studies... well, the best thing to do is to look at as many studies of whatever theory you want to learn about as you can. The more you know about it, the better you can interpret the results for yourself to decide whether a study is BS or not... or, you can simply tally the results if you don't want to analyze their results more rigorously...

Why do I bring this up? because the preponderance of studies conclude that there is something to global warming at this time. There are dissenting studies out there, and I'm not discounting them flatly because many times in history a pebble dropped in the scientific community can create tidal waves... but in this case, it really seems that the world is warming up in a global sense. Global warming isn't just about "heat" though... one of the other factors is a widening of the range of daily temperatures. That also seems to be happening. Also, look at the occurances and severity of other weather events, hurricanes, tornadoes, typhoons, etc. They are becoming more frequent, and more severe. This could be a climactic cycle... but it could be something else. It could be global warming.

Some of us think that's the case, Some of us think it's something else. And few of us are budging. :)

Except everyone likes the Muppets, well... Maybe not Nightstalkers - I could see him prefering Fraggle Rock or somesuch... :)

R

rokapoke

BigBlue said:
Except everyone likes the Muppets, well... Maybe not Nightstalkers - I could see him prefering Fraggle Rock or somesuch... :)
For the record, nothing is wrong with either the Muppets or Fraggle Rock.

D

DarthFerret

I actually have always been in favor of using more solar power. If a 3" x 1/2" strip can power my calculator, then what else can we do with it. However, as far as I have seen, it is still not cost effective. The panels are not cheap, the storage of power for non-sunlight times is not efficient, and the technology is still new enough that it has a few bugs in it. I think it is one of our options for the future, but needs to undergo a bunch of alterations and testing. The same problem with harnessing the power of wind. It is just not cost effective or efficient enough. (They keep putting up those new huge Wind Turbines in Texas....we will see how that goes in the long run).

I hope we do find an inexpensive, safe, and reliable alternative. However, it too will have to go through many stages of study before it will be ready.

Here is one other thought. Why have we not put in more nuclear power plants? I have been in one, and saw the safety precautions they take. There has not been much in the way of accidents recently. It appears that we have most of the bugs worked out of the system. Nuclear power already runs a lot of our maritime vehicles.

Ah well, I am not the one who makes any of these important decisions. Not sure I should be either.

Wakka Wakka Wakka!

E

EricBess

I don't think the problem with solar is strictly cost efficiency, but rather a high up-front cost. I have some neighbors who built a house and used solar panels. I agree with your assertions, DF, that the panels are not cheap and the storage may not be what it could be. However, he receives a check every month from the power company because he's hooked into the power grid and his meter is nearly always running backwards, meaning he's helping to supply other people with energy, taking pressure off the overall load.

I believe he also has batteries that charge pretty well and do okay during non-sunlight hours, but he can also pull off the grid during those times.

He figures based on current experience that they pay themselves off within 2-3 years tops.

Of course, this is California and solar power wouldn't be nearly as productive in Washington State, for example. And the high up-front cost is high enough to be prohibitive to most people, particularly if you don't know whether you will be in your same home 2-3 years from now. Solar panels are like swimming pools in that the return in terms of value of the home are significantly less than the cost to install, so unless you plan to get a decent amount of use out of them, it's not worthwhile.

If there were incentives from the power company or the government, you would see a huge increase in solar panels in California, but most people simple cannot afford the up-front costs.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EricBess said:
Of course, this is California and solar power wouldn't be nearly as productive in Washington State, for example.
COOOOOOLUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMBBBBIIAAAAA RIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEERRRRR!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Nuclear Plants generates waste that has to be stored for centuries.... If that can be solved, it is one of the safest sources around.

Did anyone actually read the article in the link? 10x times the efficiency of solar panels of today, and cheaper.....

D

DarthFerret

If we got the technology up to speed, one of the ways I figured we could dispose of radioactive waste, is to shoot it to the sun. The one problem I can see, other than the cost, is the danger of an in-atmosphere explosion of the transport vehicle, thus contaminating the stratosphere with radioactive particles. If we could find a way to construct the containers from a material that would not rupture due to this explosion, I think our waste problems would be halfway solved. What about the material that is used to construct the "black box"? It is supposedly supposed to withstand almost any impact, and almost any explosion.

D

DarthFerret

I figured the sun, being so hot, would take care of the waste with little to no side effects for our future....I could be wrong on that point, but it would seem that the extreem heat would merely engulf the waste and turn it harmless. Besides, I want my grandchildren to start the frist Mars colony. And not have 2 heads and 3 arms. (Do you recognize the reference?).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking the cost to construct such containers would be more than trying to dispose of it on Earth. Let alone the costs associated with shooting it into space.

I just read an article recently that the US is losing its "space dominance" due to budget cuts and other nations stepping up their space budgets. So we would probably have to pay other nations to shoot our trash into space :)

D

DarthFerret

That was one reason why I stated "If we got the technology up to speed". I figured that the cost would be too great at this current time. However, it is one avenue of thought to pursue concerning the riddance of any type of environmentally unfriendly waste.

BTW the reference was to Zaphod Beeblebrox, from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". Couldn't resist.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
DarthFerret said:
BTW the reference was to Zaphod Beeblebrox, from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". Couldn't resist.
HHGTTG was my first thought, but didn't want to spend time looking it up...... very good.