Gamecube vs. X-Box...

Gamecube or X-Box?

• Gamecube!...Nintendo is da' best!...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • X-Box!...Bill Gates is dead sexy!...

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I have no opinion 'cause I am a loser who still plays Atari...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Almindhra

So what is your choice for the game systems?...At first I was leaning towards the X-Box...Afterall, it is the best machine out there, and the graphics are beautiful...And I tried Gamecube too, and the controller is PERFECT!!!...If you haven't touched this ting go out and grb one and stroke it!!...Kiss it!!...Love it!!...

But then I looked at the game list online for both systems...Heres X-Box:
http://xbox.ign.com/games.html

Notice anything there?...Look at all the genres of the games...I'm really not into Sports and Action, and who would want that many of that genre anyways?...Check out the Previews for the X-Box too, its all the same!

Now heres Gamecube's:
http://cube.ign.com/previews.html

They have all diff kinds of genres...And Gamecube is a really good system too, the graphics are beautiful...So my choice would have to be Gamecube...Why buy a system when you can only play 2 or 3 games on it?...

And also check out this, I almost pooped my pants about this:
http://cube.ign.com/news/39563.html

And download the movie if you can...I love that...You can take the cube on the road with you...How awesome is that...

GAMECUBE ROCKS MY WORLD!!!...So lets hear your opinions on the subject...

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I've always been a loyal nintendo customer, and as such I shall stick with Gamecube. The promise of a darker and more adult oriented Zelda game make my mouth water.

N

nodnarb24

X-Box all the way (because Bill Gates IS the sexiest man alive). I think that the Gamecube is just a N64(which I HATE with a passion) with better graphics. The only reason that Nintendo still does well is that they have those loyal fans that are in denial and still think Nintendo is still good. The last time Nintendo had really good games was in the glory days of the SNES. All of nintendo games now are extreme easy and get boring after the first 10 minutes of play. But I'm still going to get both systems anyways because there might be the (very) slight possiblity that I'm wrong and I'll eat my words.

Also, what's wrong with playing an Atari? It's the best system ever!!! :D

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

As one of the people that you just described Nodnarb...........I say that you shall eat your words. Although you are right that they haven't had any really amazing games since SNES.......well with few exceptions.

M

mogg bomber

I'm usually the type of person who tries to see good in all game systems, but it's really difficult to see anything good about X-Box right now... maybe next year they'll have some games I want. And for now, well I already have my Gamecube, and still play my N64 sometimes...

If there's anything I "hate" it's when non gaming companies think they can come in and pay everyone else to make their system good. I disliked it when Sony did it with the Playstation, and I really hate it with Microsoft. Thanks to these companies, Sega(one of the best game companies) had their final system failure, and Nintendo is seen by mainstreamers as second-rate. My prediction is that PS2 and Gamecube will end up about even, and X-Box will eventually fail(though I'd like all of the systems to succeed, competition is always good, and I may eventually buy an X-Box if they get any games I want.)

A

Almindhra

Hey mogg, how is it?...And what game did you buy first to go with it?...I'm not really crazy about the 4 games that I saw...

N

nodnarb24

Originally posted by mogg bomber
If there's anything I "hate" it's when non gaming companies think they can come in and pay everyone else to make their system good. I disliked it when Sony did it with the Playstation, and I really hate it with Microsoft. Thanks to these companies, Sega(one of the best game companies) had their final system failure, and Nintendo is seen by mainstreamers as second-rate.
Nintendo has had it's fair share in both of the things you discribed. Nintendo is probably the biggest factor in the failure of Sega. When both Sega and Nintendo started out, Nintendo payed off most of the game developers to develop for them exclusively. Ever since, Sega tried to get a foothold in the industry but never really got a very strong one, only good enough to keep them in the game(no pun intended).

C

Chaos Turtle

Sega contributed to its own demise as a gaming platform. The only thing that kept them alive were great games, but the platfroms have historically been second rate, or worse. Remember Sega-CD? How about 32X? If you remember them like I do, you probably think of them in much the same way as many people think of the Yugo (perhaps the crappiest car ever made).

Sega has always been know for innovation and fun in game design (Sonic vs. Knuckles anyone?) and I for one am glad that they are making games for better systems.

As for companies getting exclusive rights to games or even game designers...hey, that's the way the business works. I mean, think of seeing original episodes of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" showing on all the networks (yes, I know some of you wouldn't mind that at all ;)). Or worse, episodes of "Buffy" showing, but with somewhat different versions based upon each network's demographics.

It's a shaky analogy, I'll admit, but the point is that game platform companies ensure their success by getting exclusivity agreements. They've all done it, because it works.

A

Apollo

PS2! I can't stand Nintendo, and X-Box doesn't look that impressive to me. I read that they're losing $100 on each X-Box sold, and that they'll lose $1 billion by the end of the year or some such... so if you buy an X-Box you're gambling on whether they can turn that around, cause if they don't, it'll tank like the Dreamcast.

Of course, it's Microsoft, so they'll probably find some way to turn a profit out of it.

Oh, and of course for now, PS2 has all the games.

P

Prince RXI

I am a Nintendo Loyalist! Mario, Link, Yoshi, Kirby, and DK ALL THE WAY!!!!!

Prince RXI, anyone who disagrees, well, ok...

J

Jigglypuff

I gotta go with the Cube on this one, for two reasons:

1) I'm in college! I couldn't afford the Xbox (which, by the way, does not mean that I will never buy an Xbox. I'm old enough to buy lotto tickets...) Gotta love the $199 price tag on the Cube...:D

2 I'm an optimist. Hey, Nintendo COULD start making good quality games again... (just like someone COULD drop their Beta power 9 on the street, but that's not the point)

That's just my opinion...
(- Steve -)

F

fuzzy510

I have played the Xbox. I hated DOA3 (No, I'm not gay), and I loved Halo. But the controller is just too horrid for me. That's why the GameCube gets my vote.

I

Istanbul

Simple answer.

I can find a GameCube anywhere I look.
I'm having a hellish time finding an X-Box.

The X-Box controller has similarities to the Dreamcast controller (which I liked).
The GameCube controller looks like it has GROWTHS. Tumors!

The X-Box has several games I'm drooling over. Haaaaaa-looooooo...
The GameCube has a Luigi game (way to get away from that name-recognition), a Link character who looks like a Pokemon, and WaveRace: The Next Degradation.

If I were going to make a choice, it'd be between the X-Box and the PS2, and it's a fairly close race. X-Box wins, but not by much.

GameCube isn't even in the running.

I

Istanbul

Azrael - I've seen screenshots of Zelda. Can we say 'pukey-cute'?
mogg bomber - I don't care who pays for what, as long as the games are good. BTW, Sony had *nothing* to do with Sega's failure. The Sega CD flopped because it was too far ahead of its time. The Sega Saturn flopped because Sega of America horribly mismarketed it. And the Sega Dreamcast (which I still have and play) died because the Sega CD, Game Gear, and Saturn died...customer confidence counts for a lot in the videogame industry, and it simply didn't exist for Sega anymore.
nodnarb - True dat. When the Sega Master System first came out, Nintendo's response to most retailers was very simple: "You carry Sega games, we pull out, you don't sell anything of ours." Several companies bucked against that leash. I guarantee, you've never heard of them; they went out of business very promptly. Nintendo has never been shy about throwing its muscle around.
Apollo - Of course they're losing money on every X-Box sold. Every system since the Super Nintendo has. Companies don't make money on systems, they make money on games. Sega lost money on the Dreamcast. Nintendo lost money on the N64, and will be losing money on the GameCube. And Sony lost money on the PS1, and will be losing it on the PS2. It's a fact of the business.
Jigglypuff - You hit the nail on the head. I don't care if the GameCube is $100 cheaper, the difference is in the games...and I don't see Nintendo doing much in the way of new blood.

F

fuzzy510

I have a Jet Black one sitting in my closet at home, and I'm trying to sell it.......if I don't find an individual person it's going on eBay........

A

Almindhra

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......I WANT BLACK!!!!!!!!.........PM or email me and tell me details of what you want for it!!!!......

*is pooping her pants*...

M

Mikeymike

X-Box
Its got the most impressive hardware (and graphics) by far but so far the games seem relatively unimaginative and lackluster, plus buying an X-Box just increases the Microsoft grasp on the world. Plus they went and raped Halo on me. When it was originally scheduled for PC release first, it was a genre-breaking 3rd person action game. Now its another f-ing 1st person shooter. I've only played 5 minutes of it, so I don't know how deep the game is (is it Half-Life2001 or Doom2001?) but I wasn't really enjoying myself. The controller was weird too.

However, their game library will no doubt improve dramatically as time goes on because supposedly the system is relatively easy to program on. This is good for 2 big reasons: The games are less buggy and run more efficiently - The game designers will quickly learn how to push the limits of this hardware further and further (think early PS games vs. Metal Gear Solid-the difference should be greater).

Gamecube
Its the cheapest of the bunch, the hardware is still impressive, but Kidtendo is known to do 3 annoying things early in a new systems' life:
1 - They release 1 amazing game and rest their laurels on it for about 3-6 months.
2 - The majoirty of the 1st games they release are aimed at pleasing parents more than children, and in general are for younger, less mature audiences.
3 - The games that they do release for the more mature crowds are either of some really strange niche and are hard to get into or a 'NintendoX' versions of really lame product lines. (like Pilotwings)

But they've got 3 things that Gates and Sony can't touch with a 10 foot pole: Mario, Zelda and Metroid. These games are classics, all developed by the same guy (Miyamoto I believe?) and can carry Nintendo all by themselves because they simply are that good. Every version of these games that comes out pushes the limits of gaming concepts as we know them yet manage to stay true to their heritage, but more importantly they excel in every category that defines a solid videogame.

Plus Banjo and Kazooie and Star Fox can almost be considered neo-classics, as they are now also solid establishments. Perfect Dark was pretty friggin good too.

PS2
Still $299 (that needs to change and soon), and the hardware and graphics just are nearly as impressive as the other 2.

No question, though, they've got THE best games on the market right now, and the best of which are aimed at more mature audiences. Gamers of the 90s are still gaming, and it seems Sony is the most in touch with this concept. Plus I don't see them losing any industry support. And with Square on their side (and the Final Fantasy series) they are pretty much guaranteed success.

-------
Verdict:
I'd vote the PS2 right now as the best system, but things will change as time goes on. Thankfully though, the game market can support all 3 systems in 2001 (where it couldn't in 1991 b/c gaming wasn't as big a part of our society) and they will continue to push each other to new limits.

Enjoy the ride.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

The promise of 3 games is why I'm leaning toward the cube.

#1 A darker zelda(this is what i've been waiting for!!!)

#2 Super Smash Bros. Melee( I'm always link:D, all my favorite characters beatin' the crap out of each other always makes me happy)

#3 Mortal Kombat 5(Although being brought to all the systems, MK was always the best on nintendo for some reason)

"This new version of Mortal Kombat is scheduled to ship for Nintendo GameCube™ and other next-generation game systems in Fall 2002."- www.mortalkombat.com