Future of Kicker?

D

Dead

With someone mentioning the possible new gating mechanic, i was wondering what direction wizards might take the new invasion mechanics, divvi and kicker.

I reckon kicker will go a similar way to buyback, with non-mana kickers such as card discard like forbid, or life loss, permanent sacrifce etc. Any other ideas?

I can't think of much for the divvy mechanic, except there should have been a green one so we might get that next. But what would it do?

H

Hetemti

Eat In or Take Out - 3G (These X or Y names wear out after a while)
Sorcery
An Opponent divides your creatures into two face-up piles.
Choose one pile. All creatures in that pile gain Trample until end of turn. All creatures in the other pile become tapped and gain "sacrifice this to give target creature +2/+2 until end of turn" until end of turn.

As for kicker...

Mental Deterioration-2B
Kicker-Discard X cards.
Target player discards a card at random.
If you paid the kicker cost, target player or players discard a total of X cards, divided any way you choose.

Z

Zero

This thread promises to be interesting;)

1) What is Divvi?

2) That Kicker X spell is a correct example of a possible future of kicker, but that specific card is broken. (I know, you didnt make it for balance...)

Lol, god this post was bitchy...

Z

Zadok001

1. "Divvi" is mispelled, but I don't know how to spell it right... Divvy? It's the mechanic that says 'X cards split into two piles, pick one.' Fact or Fiction, Stand or Fall, Fight of Flight. All the 'Or' cards are Divvy cards.

C

Chaos Turtle

Lin-Divvi, Defiant Bitch
WRR
Creature - Redhead Legend
1/3
3, Tap: Search target player's library for any Rebel Legend card. Divide that card into any number of face-up piles. Taunt that player.
"When you call me 'bitch' you'd better be smiling!"

G

Gerode

lol

Here's something combining both!

Lin-Divvi: Fact or Fiction?
Kicker X
Divide the top 2 cards of whatever into two piles, face up. Have your opponent choose one. Do something with the chosen pile, and put the other pile in the graveyard. If you paid the Kicker cost, divide the top X cards of whatever instead, where X = Kicker.

D

DÛke

...Kicker will be much more than just paying mana.
Black will probably have life paying, creature sacrificing, and many other effects.

Blue will probably have discarding cards, returning permanents back to it's hand, and so on.

White will have tapping White creatures, sacing enchantments, and so on.

Green will be making its creatures weaker, and, I guess "so on".

There'll be a lot of stuff: sacing lands, creatures, permanents, and all kind of "other" stuff.

This is JUST a guess (to answer Landkiller's following question). If WotC know what they're doing, then they should make it like I said it above.

[Edited by DÛke on 11-14-00 at 01:15 PM]

L

Landkiller

How do you know? Is that a guess?

If so...
It's cool. I mean, though, if you don't want people to be confused, indicate that it's speculation.

If not...
SWEET :)

D

Dead

Ok, my bad, according to the rules sheet thing it's "divvy". But's it not a mechanic as such, as otherwise the cards would say: Divvy: Top 5 cards of your library. Templating would be a bit complex i'd imagine, so they just wrote it out each time, so it's just a card description like 'weenie'. I meant the fact or fiction stlye cards.

One thing- would i be right in thinking that flickering a verdeloth will create an army of saprolings equal to what you paid originally, due to the way it's worded: when verdeloth comes into play, if you paid the kicker cost..... using flicker would bring it into play, and you paid the kicker when it was cast...any ideas?

L

Landkiller

Generally, no. Only when a card with kicker is played can you pay the kicker cost.

And it won't remember the kicker cost when it return to play.

So you can Flicker a Skizzik to kill it at end of your turn, Flicker a Kavu Titan into a Grizzly Bear, but Flickering Verdeloth doesn't accomplish anything. Maybe saprolings with 1 damage on them would die as a state-based effect while Verdeloth is gone. But I'm not sure if a window for that is open during the resolution of Flicker.

T

Taysir

Landkiller: your remark about the killing the Saprolings is astute; the ones with 1 damage will die (unless something like Kaysa is out also).

D

Dune Echo

If Kicker does become a big ability, can you imagine what power Flicker would have if rotated back in on Kickered permanents? A good reason to bring it back if R&D Future Future League see Kicker as strong or make something too strong.

L

Landkiller

Oh, and Flicker untaps any permanent, as well as 'reloading' Fading cards.

<Landkiller traded four Battle Squadrons for four Flickers>

C

Chaos Turtle

Flickering Verdeloth will not have any effect on Saprolings in play.

Flickered permanents leave and return to play all during the spell's resolution, during which time there is no check for state-based effects (the same reason Maro survives if you play Tolarian Winds).

Not to confuse, I hope, but abilities which trigger on the Saproling's change in power/toughness (similar to Endangered Armodon's ability) will trigger, and go on the stack when Flicker finishes resolving.