Fuse counters in a Coffin

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've been mulling over some stupid card combo ideas and realizing that most of them won't work the way I want them to. I think this one does, but now I'm disoriented enough that I am unsure of myself. Someone let me know if I'm right or wrong about this...

What I want to do is somehow manifest Goblin Bomb, such as with Cloudform. Then I want to use Bomb Squad to put fuse counters on the face-down Goblin Bomb. Once there are 3 fuse counters on the face-down Goblin Bomb, I want to activate Bomb Squad, targeting Goblin Bomb, and since I'll also have Illusionist's Bracers equipped to the Bomb Squad, I'll get another copy of the ability, also targeting Goblin Bomb. With those abilities on the stack, I'll somehow kill my own Bomb Squad. So now the manifested creature has 5 fuse counters on it. From there, I want to activate Tawnos's Coffin and exile my face-down Goblin Bomb. Next, I want to untap Tawnos's Coffin, returning Goblin Bomb to the battlefield with 5 fuse counters on it, only now it's face-up. Finally, I'd activate Goblin Bomb's own ability and deal 20 damage to a player, presumably an opponent.

Is there any reason that this wouldn't work? And yes, I know that there are easier ways to turn a manifested permanent face-up. That's not the point.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Maybe I'm wrong, it has been a while, but don't exiled cards lose counters that are on them when they are exiled?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Maybe I'm wrong, it has been a while, but don't exiled cards lose counters that are on them when they are exiled?
Yes, they do. But here's the relevant bit from the rules text on Tawnos's Coffin...

Note the number and kind of counters that were on that creature. When Tawnos’s Coffin leaves the battlefield or becomes untapped, return that exiled card to the battlefield under its owner’s control tapped with the noted number and kind of counters on it.
So the fuse counters would go away, but they'd be "noted" and would show up again when the card returns to the battlefield, even if it's not a creature.

Or so I think, anyway.

Ferret

Staff member
It's a shame that you can't just use a Giant Fan (from Unglued) and something with lots of counters on it like a Spike or Triskellion...

Ferret

Staff member
I just thought of something: Imagine if they brought back Goblin Bomb in today's environment. With so many cards that have Proliferate on them, it would suddenly be a sick card...