Fun Utility Red Deck

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
F

Force of Will Smith

This deck uses some classic red utility, some creature boost, etc, etc

Every effect that creatures can produce, minus the fireslinger, can be activated the turn they hit play. It has a tendency to come back even on bad draws for just this reason.

// Haste 1cc:
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Spark Mage
4 Blazing Effigy
4 Fireslinger
4 Mogg Fanatic
// Haste 2cc:
4 Blood Lust
4 Fists of the Anvil
4 Slith Firewalker
// Haste 3cc:
4 Vulshok Sorcerer
4 Viashino Sandstalker
// Lands:
20 Mountain

I originally ran more popping creatures like spark elemental but found that with fanatics, bolts, mages you can destroy firecats, ball lightnings, and sparks pretty easy.

R

Rooser

Blazing Effigy? Why not just the red zubera if it's that important to you? Or maybe a good card?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Is Blazing Effigy the dude from Legends that is good for killing creatures if you get all four of them out?

F

Force of Will Smith

blazing effigy costs 1R for a 0/3 that if killed does 3 damage to a creature, much better than the red zubera.

if you have 2 blazing effigies out, you deal 6 to a creature, 3 from just one.

How is that worse in any way than a zubera that costs the same and does 1 damage?

M

Mikeymike

Blazing Effigy is an awesome card, especially with Mogg Maniac and company. That said, I'm not sure about its inclusion in this deck. It is too reactionary - this deck wants carnage, and wants it now.

I am not a fan of Spark Elemental at all. Chain Lightning in 10x better, but personally I'd use Incinerate.

Do you have an land-thinners to run? Specifically Fetchlands.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
IF the deck had Mogg Maniac, something like Blazing Effigy would be considerably better, but it doesn't...

Incinerate does have a nice advantage of Chain Lightning (especially against River Boa or Masticore). But early game it is a lot less appealing to cast it...

F

Force of Will Smith

Fireblast may be good, but i typically use it for its alt casting cost.
It might just be good for the kill.
I think a non-counterable 2 dmg would be a good addition tho.

ill run 4 seal of fires instead of effigies.

You're referring to effigy and company?
What do you think would go best in an effigy deck?

bogardan firefiends
zubera
repercussion
furnace
seething song?
crushing pain?
laccoliths? mogg maniacs?

M

Mikeymike

Cards I like w/ the Effigy...

- Soul Foundry
- Goblin Bombardment, which is one of my all time favorites. It isn't mandatory, but it helps get things going when you need it to
- Furnace of Rath, which is pretty mandatory
- Pack Hunt possibly, since it can get you 4x Effigy's
- Sigil of the New Dawn, which allows you to recycle the Effigy's

If you have a Furnace out, 2 effigies, and a Mogg Maniac...

- An Effigy dies, deal 6 to another Effigy
- Allow other Effigy to die, deal 12 to Maniac
- Maniac now deals 24 to a player of your choice

The Bombardment serves as a strong sac outlet to the Effigy, and if you were running enchantments Academy Rector could be a nice sister card as well (it too wants to die, and it fetches the key enchantments).

I wouldn't use Repercussion here, too often you'll be taking a big hit.

13NoVa

why don't you just run classic sligh using creatures like:

grim lavamancer
fireslinger
jackal pups

and spells like

L bolt
chain L
Fork
Fireblast

stuff like that...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
...because they are different concepts. I guess building Sligh would be an alternative if this idea isn't working out, but they are not the same at all...

Sligh-attempts to get high-powered cheap red creatures like Goblin Cadets into play, then burns up the blockers And possibly finish things with burn spells before the opponent can manage to do anything.

This deck uses creatures that can do some sort of damage once they hit the table, racking up larger amounts of damage each turn, mostly ignoring the presence of blockers except when its creature enhancement spells are used.

T

train

I have to go with browbeat instead of the 3 cc critters - or ball lightnings at the least...

I must also be missing the fireblasts...;)

J

jorael

Originally posted by Mikeymike

I am not a fan of Spark Elemental at all. Chain Lightning in 10x better, but personally I'd use Incinerate.
I agree, but that started me trying to put them in a deck where they are decent. I just made this deck:

1cc
Mogg fanatic
spark elemental

2cc
fireslinger
slith firewalker
shrapnel blast

3cc
grafter wargear
browbeat

4cc
flametongue kavu
avalance riders

16 mountains
4 great furnace
4 darksteel citadel

Spark elemental is not very impressive, but with grafted wargear they become a poor-man's ball lightning. Avalance riders and the fanatics are also nice to equip. If I had ball lightnings I would replace the avalance riders for them, but alas.

F

Force of Will Smith

Actually i think since casual players play any and all cards, they tend to spend more on magic than just the type II player would constantly cycles out his old cards.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't think it's even close. Casual players don't buy many cards as they are not often all that serious about tuning their decks. Some probably spend no money at all on the game...

J

jorael

If I look at my gaming group there are vast differences. Some have a lot of expensive type 1 cards (no power 9 however). Other are budget players indeed and only have newer cards. Sometimes not even 4x the uncommons they use.

Lesser cards can restrict deck building, yes. but it can also stimulate creativity. Besides, I like to make decks that are ok but use cards that are often overlooked. Spark elemental beatdown makes me smile :)

F

Force of Will Smith

Yeah anyone can slap a morphling and a masticore in a counter deck with force of wills. But to beat that deck with a volrath's dungeon+Squee+buried alive combo... priceless...

:D
makes it sound kind of like a commercial

Dual Lands... $20

Birds of Paradise $14

Winning with a Giant Oyster and an army of kelp tokens... priceless..

I actually recently built a creature theft/ control deck using goofy oink creatures like giant tortise and Dandan. I know islandwalking creatures are the best idea... but im trying to get it to work. BTW you guys should check out giant oyster.. its actually not bad..