Fun Aether Rift / Library of Leng deck, some ideas

M

Mikeymike

I'm thinking about building this deck. Considering I have the Library of Leng in here, I'd like to take advantage of the "ignore random discard" affect. Will have to proxy the Rifts until I get them.

70 Cards total
Creatures -18
4 Nesting Wurms (best card in the deck, combos w/ everything)
1 Verdant Force
1 Darigaaz
1 Rith
1 Avatar of Fury
1 Fountain Watch
2 Avatar of Woe
1 Academy Rector
1 Squee (I know, I need more, I want more)
1 BoP (same)
4 Quirion Elves

Permanents -17
4 Library of Leng
4 Aether Rift (need these suckers)
3 Pyromancy
1 Sneak Attack
2 Survival of the Fittest
2 Dual Nature (for fun)
1 Feldon's Cane

Spells -10
2 Gamble
3 Pillage
1 Sowing Salt
4 Lightning Bolts

Mana -25
1 Sol Ring
1 Strip Mine
2 Yavimaya Hollow
2 Plateau
1 Taiga
2 Karpulusan Forests
2 City of Brass
8 Forests
6 Mountains

Other cards I been thinking about
Pillaging Horde
Tutors
City of Solitude or Defense Grid
Cursed Scroll

I've seen you guys toss out some great, wacky ideas. Toss some my way, I'd love to hear them.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is this multiplayer or are you worried about getting it down to 60 cards?

I'm not sure I understand the relationship between the Rift and Library. Are you trying to have the option of putting them in the graveyard via Rift or top of library via Leng?

M

Mikeymike

This will be a multiplayer deck, chaos and 2 headed giant. I like 70 card decks for MP because it allows me to put wacky cards in there (Dual Nature, a surprise Sneak, Feldon's Cane) that help to ensure the deck doesn't always play the same way.

DAMN DAMN DAMN!!! I READ LIBRARY OF LENG WRONG. I always thought it said I could look at a random discard and decide whether or not I want to discard it. OK, now the deck sucks.

W

Whimsical

An Aether Rift deck! I was wondering when the beebles someone would come up with that.

FYI. Aether Rift forces you to discard a card at random from your hand. If it's a creature, put it into play unless someone pays 5 life.

<looks at decklist> Eh?! <scratches head> Errr ... call me a Bad Player (TM), but the decklist really goofs me.

The Aether Rift deck I was mulling revolved around Aether Rift (duh), Captain Sissy (and that's no misspelling), Belbe's Portal, and Temporal Aperture. That and a whole truckload of huge bloodthirsty creatures. :D

Massive Critters

1 Crosis, the Purger
1 Darigaaz, the Igniter
1 Treva, the Renewer
1 Rith, the Awakener
1 Dromar, the Banisher
1 Multani, Maro-Sorcerer
1 Molimo, wussy Maro-Sorcerer
1 Volrath, the Fallen
1 Solkanar, the Swamp King
1 Dakkon Blackblade
1 Gwendolyn Di Corci
2 Avatar of Woe
2 Avatar of Fury
2 Avatar of Might

Where the heck are they?

4 Aether Rift
3 Captain Sisay
2 Belbe's Portal
1 Temporal Aperture

Powering all this nonsense
4 BoPs
4 Quirion Elves
4 Vine Trellis
13 Forest
4 Karplusan Forest
4 Brushland

Considering all that was off the top of mah head ... <laughs> That's a lousy deck right there. The gist of it is there though. Now if you use Hermit Druids, Buried Alives, and Living Death instead of all this fancy nonsense ... hmmmmm. On second though, I think I prefer the Aether Rift version. Much, much more entertaining. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You CAN look at a random discard before deciding whether to use the Library. D'Angelo says so on his site.

However, I still don't get it. Let's say you have a Rift and a Library out. So you use the Rift ability, look at it, and if it's a big creature presumably you'd not want to use the Library so you can put it in the graveyard and then in play unless your opponent doesn't want you to. If it's not a creature... you still put it in the graveyard? You use the Library to put it on top of your Library? Then you just draw it again... I mean, it seems to me the Library is really unnecessary. Why do you want it in the deck?

M

Mikeymike

OK, I screwed up big time with that deck. Let me try this again.

Utilities critters 5
1 BoP (own 1)
4 Quirion Elves

Big Narsties (based on what I own) 15
1 Darigaaz
1 Deranged Hermit
1 Devoring Strossus
1 Rith
1 A.Fury
2 A.Woe
3 Thorn Elementals
1 Verdant Force
4 Nesting Wurms

Permanents 13
2 Aether Rift
2 Cursed Scrolls
1 Scroll Rack
2 Citanul Flutes
1 Greater Good
1 Dual Nature
4 Sterling Grove

Spells 11
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Worldly Tutor
1 En. Tutor
4 Lightning Bolts
3 Creeping Molds

Mana 25
1 Sol Ring
2 Thran Dynamo

1 Taiga
2 Plateau
2 Karpulusan Forest
2 Sulphurous Springs
2 City of Brass
4 Mountains
9 Forests

M

Mikeymike

Spiderman, what I thought Library of Leng allowed you to do was choose the card you were discarding as apposed to it being random. The advantage being, as long as I had a creature to discard, he could be used with Aether Rift.

The last time I played with the card was well over a year ago right after I started playing and my friend and I both played it wrong.

D

Duel

Howling mine! Let's not have to draw our non-creatures all over again.

L

Landkiller

Would you rather play Regrowth or
B2
Sorcery
Return two target creatures in your graveyard to your hand.

It's a common from Rath cycle. Forgot the name. A specialized choice if you play Aethir Rift, plus automatic advantage anytime.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What if you want something other than creature spells? Like when both Rifts get disenchanted or you need the Tutor or even a Bolt?

M

Mikeymike

I tried playing with the poontang but the upkeep is too difficult to maintain.
---
The reason I'm running Feldon's Cane over Regrowth (or Yawgmoth's Will) is because chances are I'll be discarding more than 1 non-creature spell during the course of the game that I'd want to get back. Regrowth would be good though, Restock maybe even better.

I was also thinking about possibly running Yawgmoth's Will instead. Granted I don't have Dark Rituals in here to take advantage of but besides the creatures, the deck runs fairly inexpensive cards and I might be able to play a good number out of the graveyard. It would be worth it to go "Will, Bolt, Bolt, Wheel" for 8 mana mid-late game.

D

Duel

How about a bosium strip?
Allows you to do the same thing many times.

M

Mikeymike

Hmmm, that's a pretty good idea. There are 11 istants/sorceries that are all fairly cheap, could be very nice.

I was also thinking about Phyrexian Grimoire from Tempest. This card was been tempting me for awhile now, I've got 3 that I have been dying to try.

D

Duel

maybe not, but Search for survivors may be worthwhile. Anything that reads "Shuffle your graveyard"