Frozen Fish

H

Heavy B

I have a casual Merfolk deck that I really like.

It's not legal in any format other than "kitchen table".

I call it Frozen Fish because it tries to slow the game (thus Frozen) and uses Merfolk (ergo Fish). See how smart I am? :)

The deck plays surprisingly well. In head to head I held off a very well build Angel deck for over 30 turns and finally beat him when he had 80+life. A stompy style deck got me to one life before I got the Opposition+Winter Orb + bunch weenies soft lock and swarmed him.

It's not very powerful but it is deceptive and capable. And very fun.

4x Manta Riders - Goblin Fish Brigade. Nice utility for U.
4x Tidal Warriors - Decent one drop and can really be annoying versus multi-color decks w/ colored mana problems. I have been surprised with the utility I've gotten out of this card. Oh. It's not bad combo'd with Lord of Atlantis.
4x Merfolk Looters - Good two drop. I'm sure everyone here knows it well.
4x Lord of Atlantis
2x Vodalian Illusionist - 2/2 Three drop w/ UU(Tap) Target creature phases out. Yes youngsters. Things used to phase. Talk to uncle Teferi for an update.
3x Brainstorm - Cards, cards, gimme cards
4x Counterspell
2x Dissipate
3x Capsize
3x Opposition - Put those weenies to work
3x Winter Orb - This is the frozen part. Combos well with Opposition and all of the weenies that you'll have lying around.

Season with Islands to tase.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Heavy B said:
I call it Frozen Fish because it tries to slow the game (thus Frozen) and uses Merfolk (ergo Fish). See how smart I am? :)
You might be smart. But you're a bit late to be the first one to call Merfolk with Opposition "frozen fish." As far as formats go, your deck is actually perfectly legal in both Vintage (Type I) and Legacy (Type 1.5).

Have you tried River Merfolk? I always liked that one.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I separated this from the casual Merfolk thread because this is by a different person from Cat so he gets his own thread :)