Front Page Articles

S

Sean Roney

I'm considering writing for the Magic community again, and I noticed it's been 11 months since the CPA front page has been updated with an article. Is there much want for front page articles? Is anyone interested in writing them?

I have a few ideas, some gushing over the horror and zombies found in Innistrad, but also a lot of rabble rousing regarding WotC's mismanagement of their gaming properties. Discussion and rants are good for traffic, but how is the climate around here nowadays?

Also, has anyone ever pitched the idea of podcasts or video channels? I'm thinking of that, as well, but does anyone know how they're working out for other sites. Clearly, the MTGCast podcast network is a incredibly popular, but it's also a terrible s***-covered chaotic mess, in my opinion. Is that what the Magic community likes? How about video? I haven't had a chance to check into videos, so what works as far as serving up what Magic players want?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Here's my attempt at answering the questions you put forth.

Is there much want for front page articles?
I personally believe that the front page articles are the best way to get new traffic coming to this site. More traffic would lead to a more robust community, so while I don't personally have any particular desire to read articles about the game, I think it would be beneficial to the CPA, in general. I also know that I would take the time to read anything new that's posted here, as rare as that may be anymore.
Is anyone interested in writing them?
I can only speak for myself here. I miss writing and would like to do some more, but I feel that I can't contribute here since I don't really play MTG anymore (aside from games on this board) and would have no idea what to write about. I'm thinking of posting updates at the start of the next Sports League season, but I'm not sure anyone would be interested in reading about that. Then again, I never really cared about what other people were interested in reading. ;)
Discussion and rants are good for traffic, but how is the climate around here nowadays?
Tepid. Anything good for traffic would be good for the site. I'm completely out of the loop as far as knowing what the general public does or does not like about the job that WotC is doing anymore. So I might not be able to participate in any discussions / rants, but I'd definitely be interested in seeing how the winds are changing in the MtG community as a whole.
Also, has anyone ever pitched the idea of podcasts or video channels?
Not that I recall. I've never listened to a podcast in my life and wouldn't start now.
Is that what the Magic community likes?
I don't know whether or not the Magic community likes a terrible s***-covered chaotic mess, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. If that's what MTGCast is and if it's really popular, then I guess they do. I never heard of it until just now.
How about video?
I only really visit MTG sites while at work and I never watch videos at work, so this idea doesn't appeal to me much more than the podcast idea.
I haven't had a chance to check into videos, so what works as far as serving up what Magic players want?
Again, I can only speak for myself, but I prefer to read things. I would read an article about a deck idea or a rant or building around a favorite card or an alternative format or about the flavor of the game or general game strategy. I would also read any fiction or non-fiction MtG-related stories or comics. The writing is what captivates me more than the content.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I like reading the articles that get posted, but am like Turgy22, not very into the game community, just some judging/TOing (not much anymore since WoTC sent it all to the store level).
Rants are great and discussions are always good food for thought.
Never listened to a podcast or wathched videos (except at KJ's place, he actually has some magic tourneys on video)
The magic community may like a better organized podcast, but it would need people in the community to help it grow..... KJ is real good at the casual community and is an interesting character.
Ransac is a judge now and may have some insights into that aspect..... I can't talk about anything..... just to be on the safe side.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think anything is good for the front page right now. Write what your heart desires :)

I'm a terrible writer and not inclined to write myself though.

We could try podcasts or video although we'd have to ask Ed. WickedBoy came back a couple of months ago and said he was doing a podcast, we could contact him as well if this goes through.

I like reading about stuff so if you have the time turgy22, you could write about the Sports League. KJ wrote about his league several times and it was fine.

S

Sean Roney

Okay, I'll get prepared to do some writing within the next week. I'm also not involved in playing, since my only nearby opponent hates Innistrad and I pretty much only want to try out my new cards. And I hate playing MTGO because I feel like an old fogey and don't understand how to get into just casual games with other small collection players.

That leaves reading WotC's official propaganda page, which I usually find myself disturbed by at least once a week. They're doing a lot of stupid stuff all in the interest of building profits. Their bad choice of revamping D&D is a clear example.

Innistrad has some cool flavor, but the DFC issue is rather silly, and the way some mechanics play out is insane. Werewolves are a clear example of bad top-down design.

One massive complaint I have with Magic is the Decipher effect in full swing, and to a large degree many times worse than Decipher was ever guilty of. Card power is now strictly tied to rarity, and we clearly see it--for the same costs the cards at mythic and rare are many times better than commons (most of the time--as always there are *some* exceptions).