from Inquest issue #2

U

Ura

Quote Mike Searle from the first non-advertisement page of Inquest #2:

"WANTED: Channel Fireball"
"Rise to arms! Begin your own ban the channel campaign!"

"Whats worse than taking the 14-hour Kraft factory tour, swimming in a vat of swiss, and then gobbling 48 slices of plastic wrapped, nonpasteurized velveeta? That's right - Channel Fireball, the ultimate in cheese.
See if this sounds familiar. It's the first duel of your tournament match. You're all excited about testing your new deck, about drawing those first seven cards that'll shape your world.
Suddenly, before you can draw your opening hand - bang, you're dead, obliterated by the ridiculosly stupid Channel/Fireball combination! It's about as much fun as being rolled over by a tank. Please, let's play again. This time around I'll use my Vise deck, it'll be fun...
I love Cheeseheads. Cheeseheads think a theme deck is a decision between fireballs and disintegrates; they confuse winning with fun. I guess hitting someone with a 20-point fireball is fun to some folks but not o me, nor anyone whom I play magic.
Of corse, my real grievance is just with the "channel" part of the channel/fireball. You can't rule out fireball, it's to vital a part of the game, and its too much dang fun wiping out a whole slew o' little critters in one shot. You can, however, rule out channel. I mean, you don't usually Channel in a wall of ice without a darn good reason. You might bring in an artifact at a critical time with channel - I saw a real cool play where someone won in a last ditch effort with channel and mirror universe - but the odds are you won't put channel in any high powered deck for this purpose.
Unfortunately, there are those who will - those who bow down before the almighty shrine of fromage and nuke newbies while they're studying the casting cost of their benalish hero.
The Channel/Fireball is, without and doubt, an abuse of the rules. It throws the whole game out of whack - all your opponent has to do is pull ahead of you by one life and you lose! What kind of nonsence is that? We've already banned the card from our games, and now Inquest implores you to do the same wherever you play. It's long past due.
Wizards of the Coast... if you're listening, make an official announcment and get the Channel card banned from tournaments.
We all know how its used. Lets stop the madness!"

till next time

"Top Five Reasons I Hate Channel Fireball"
5. It's no fun when your opponent says "Game Over" while you're unzipping your counter pouch.
4. I hate losing to 13 cents worth of cards.
3. It isn't cool to kill people before they've had a chance to rotate their cards properly.
2. A chimp playing Uno could make the same play.
1. Cheese is best served on crackers, not opponents.

Amazing how times have "changed" huh?

L

Loonook

Ha.. I remember channelball... but I love my channel-elf ball (or ghettoballin as the deck is set for GhettoSmax at 28.50 ((roughly compared to a year ago)) and can be INSANELY superpowered!

I

Istanbul

Banning Channel did nothing. It didn't stop WotC from making the turn 2/3 kills possible (Cad. Bloom, Academy, Jar).

Nor will it stop these extremely successful, extremely boring decks until WotC deals with the disease instead of the symptoms. They have to figure out what makes a card abusable in ways like that, then factor that into their card-making procedure.

Don't ban Academy. Ban cheese.

(Still...there IS something amusing about playing my Erratic CIP deck and proclaiming, 'Behold the power of cheese.')

T

terzarima

Don't you mean "ahh the power of cheese?" because man, those commercials are funny :)

I can honestly say I don't remember the whole channel/fireball thing... I remember reading about it and hearing it many times. The odd thing is that I had 4 channels and 4 fireballs in 1994... but I was like, 7, so things didn't click :D But you gotta know that it was bad enough to get a common (channel was a common, right?) banned, and now restricted. Thank god for better R&D.

C'est fromage.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, banning Channel DID do something... it stopped "cheese" (or quick kills, if you prefer) for a while until the next combo reared its ugly head (which in the case of Cad Bloom, took the whole Mirage Block to do). Check the stats of how many decks packed Channel the last time in a tourney (Worlds?) before it was banned... the Duelist at the time had them. It was about 90% of the top 16 (I think, just giving numbers off the top of my head).

I agree that playtesting should do their darndest to expose such combos, but I also know that with so many cards, it's hard to predict how people would use them. Sometimes what's obvious to the majority of players isn't so obvious in playtesting (which also could be a remark there on the process, who knows).