Found a combo, now what?

L

Limited

I've had a lot of fun playing with Pull from Eternity Instant W (Put target face-up card that's removed from the game into its owner's graveyard) in a deck with flashback cards (Momentary Blink) and other tricks (Vanish into Memory). Of course, its comes in handy against Suspend decks but also counters Madness.

Looking through old rares, I found All Sun's Dawn Sorcery 4G (For each color, return up to one target card of that color from your graveyard to your hand. Then remove All Suns' Dawn from the game), which is an okay card in a five color deck but never really showed up on anyone's radar.

Together, you can set up some kind of loop. Play an All Sun's Dawn to return some cards to your hand. Play Pull from Eternity to drop the All's Suns Dawn in your graveyard, so the next All Sun's Dawn can return the old one and the Pull from Eternity to your hand. Barring any graveyard removal, you can use this to return a Black, a Blue and a Red card to your hand.

Not earthshattering, but I feel this cute card-interaction has some potential. I just don't know what to do with it.

So here the challenge for you guys: What would you combine it with? Would try to set up some infinite loop? Which cards would you try first? Perhaps you can think of an entire deck?

Good luck (and thanks for all the fish)!

E

Ephraim

I'd have to give this one a long, hard think. I am pretty sure that one of my blue cards, however, would be Gifts Ungiven. It isn't the most casual card, but can you think of a better way to load your graveyard with the stuff that you'd like to recur? The deck would probably have to be primarily green to support the mana needs of a five-colour deck (not to mention that one of your two 'combo pieces' is green.) Any of the new Pact cards from Future Sight would probably be good additions. Because All Sun's Dawn is a sorcery, you may not have a lot of mana available the same turn that you cast it, but since you probably don't need to cast it every turn, you can get back Pact of the Titan, for example, and play that at the end of your opponent's turn.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That might work in the Bringer tribe deck I got off the Net, since it's highly multicolor.

Otherwise, I don't know of any Black, Blue, and Red decks floating around (and I guess green to cast All Sun's Dawn to begin with)

L

Limited

Gifts would work, but I agree that it isn't a casualcard-posterboy.

I was thinking Dreamscape Artist.. and perhaps something like Locket of Yesterdays?

E

Ephraim

On the other hand, of course, I don't think there's a rule that says that casual players may not use good cards. The fact that you'd be putting Gifts Ungiven into a deck with All Suns' Dawn and Pull from Eternity seems a fair compromise. It doesn't mean that the card is "fair," but it does mean that you're using it for a very casual purpose.

L

Limited

I don't hate combos! I hate combo decks!

Well, mostly I don't like it when a Multiplayer game ends with one player "combo-ing out". I still like the idea of card combos (and building decks around them) as a mental exercise.

With the Pull from Eternity and All Sun's Dawn, you could add cards like Coal Stoker, Priest of Gix, Twiddle (to untap a land enchanted with Dawn's Reflection) and Locket of Yesterdays to set up some infinite loop (and end the game with Tendrils of Agony? ;)).
Though I like to think about the deck and evaluate how many copies of each card I need, it wouldn't be a deck I'd play in multiplayer.

I've played the Null Profusion / Blood Funnel deck (other thread) twice now, and its already on the pile of decks that are to be taken apart.

E

Ephraim

You wouldn't necessarily need to create an infinite combo deck either. I don't know if this would suit your play style, but I have found that decks featuring heavy recursion make for fascinating control games. Way back when, I posted a control deck called Pet Cemetery. It's a creature-based control deck featuring Oversold Cemetery at its heart. You could try a 5-color-control concept centered around recurring a suite of control tools every two or three turns, as necessary.

L

Limited

I like that idea.. a five color toolbox deck, with a lot of one-offs.

I haven't gotten the All Sun's Dawn yet, but as soon as I do I'll get cracking!

B

Barachem

I have a combo that generates mana, shuffles sideboard into library and gets everything into one's hand:

Let's first look at the cards you need: Diabolic Tutor, Research // Development, All Suns' Dawn, Early Harvest, Mirari's Wake and at least 8 basic lands of which at least 2 Forest, 1 Swamp, 1 Plains and 1 Island.

With Mirari's Wake in play:

[1] Tap all your land for mana and play Early Harvest.

[2] Play Diabolic Tutor to get All Suns' Dawn or if necessary another combo piece.

[3] Play All Suns' Dawn to get any other combo pieces in the graveyard back.

[4] Play the Research side of Research // Development to shuffle 3 cards from your sideboard + All Suns' Dawn from the removed from play zone or from your sideboard into your library.

[5] Play or activate something, win or do nothing. If you haven't won, go to [1].

It doesn't matter when you do [1] or [5], so do it when most convinient or necessary.
[2], [3] and [4] are only playable in this order, if you don't believe me, try it differently... ;D

I have it in a deck now with b;ue Bringers and swtuff and it works very well and enables other combos and bombs.

Pull from Eternity looks like a nice card, but you need 2 All Suns' Dawn to operate it.
My version works quite fine for me and has gained my the scorn of my playgroup.