FORMAT!

Killer Joe

Format: Multi-Player :)
Reason: I like the collective chatter and bantering that goes on when a bunch of guys get together. I really believe that social habits come out crystal clear during a multi-player game. I'm the one who gets others to to do my bidding with the Jedi Mind tricks and stuff.
Deck: Usually a slow Blue/Green bounce with Erratic Portal and Equilibrium along with CIP creatures like Gilded Drake, Man-O-War, Wall of Blossoms, the Spike Bros. (Weav and Feed).

T

The Magic Jackal

last i checked multi-player wasn't a format, but a variant. Anyhoo, mine would be Limited, because it's simply the most fun to play. When else do you use crappy cards in a tournament?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I like Limited and the various ways of drafting (is that under Limited) because as Magic Jackal said, you get to use cards you probably wouldn't use normally. But I also like using all cards in a non-broken type environment (I guess Vintage or Type I but without the banned and restricted lists (like I have any of them anyway :)))

C

Chaos Turtle

I like Limited, booster draft in particular.
I like Standard and Extended too, of course, and Block Party looks like it might be fun.

M

Mordecai

I like Extended. Masques-Nemesis Sealed is also a lot of fun.

M

Mr_Pestilence

My favorite format is limited, either sealed or draft. You never know what you'll get, and it forces you to play with different cards, rather than decks of 4x this, 4x that, 4x the other.

It also forces you to modify your playing style - beatdown decks aren't fast enough, and control decks don't have enough control. Combo decks are non-existent, except for minor stuff like Ancestral Mask + lotsa Enchantments.

Unfortunately, there are some broken decks even in limited. I once played a guy that opened 2 Lightning Dragons and 2 Fault Lines. He lost in the finals to a guy who opened Phyrexian Processor, Angelic Chorus, 2 Catastrophe and 2 of the White instant that gains you 2 life for each creature in play.

Overall though, I think limited is the format that requires the most skill.

S

Spaceman Spiff

well, I like multiplayer the most its just the most funnest one of all

Killer Joe

Alright, so multi-player is NOT a format! My Bad (old lingo derived from the full expresssion 'My Bad Judgement'). I like Standard, but multi-player should be a format.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Limited is probably my favorite too, for the same reason The Jackal likes it. It reminds me of the old days, when a card like Pearled Unicorn wasn't necessarily bad. It's a lot of fun, really, playing with the sort of cards you'd never even consider in a constructed deck. It makes me feel more like I'm getting my money's worth, that way.

And I like that, man. :D

TomB
CPA Member

G

galtwish

Progressive Solomon Draft:
Each player starts out with 3 boosters (of any expansion)

Open all your packs, reserve 1 card (you can choose to allow this card to be included in the final deck or not)
Look at the othe players cards
Shuffle them all together
Turn over the first 4 cards and alternate picking
1st pick, 4th pick and
2nd pick, 3rd pick

Play 2 out of 3 (or 3 of 5) and record the results.
Play with someone else and just keep going.

The nice thing about this is that you don't have to all be there at once, and not every one has to start at the same time.

Of the more common formats, I like booster draft, because it really rewards those who do there homework on printing order, color synergy, and general draft theory.

Erik

G

Gryphonclaw

I wonder if there is something about casual players and limited....

I too like limited the best, although I've only played in one tournament.
For the constructed environments I like extended the best, the most flexibility with simble ban/restrict lists.

T

The Magic Jackal

I don't know if you can necessarily make that connection. I'm not a casual player, but Limited is still my fav. format. I do best in standard, but Limited is a lot more fun to me. It's not very competitive. That's may be the reason casual players favor limited the most, it's not as competitive as the others.

B

BurlyBrute

They haven't invented my favorite format, so I did it for them. Highlander 2, where there can only be two. Fun in most formats, but keep the banned and restricted lists for Type I.

D

Dune Echo

Conner McLeod, Highlander 3: "There can be only one."

Reply in dark movie theater: "THERE SHOULD'VE BEEN ONLY ONE!"

G

Gryphonclaw

I meant casual players on average seem to like limited the most.
Maybe it's cause limited is the format where there's a real likelyhood of beating your opponent down with a reckless embermage. Or something similar.