Form of the Dragon

• Thread starter Thallid Ice Cream Man
  • Start date
T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I don't see this happening any time soon, but Form of the Dragon and Second Chance?

T

train

I see it happening... now that it's been brought to my attention...

Talk about recursion...

Dang - that would be awesome... too bad I don't play blue.

N

Nightstalkers

if you played storm while the form of dragon was on the stack, you'd get two forms... right?? :confused: :yawn:

M

Mikeymike

This thing is a combo macheen

Form of the Dragon / Second Chance / Hanna, Ship's Navigator is a 6 mana per turn self-sustaining autokill (as Form of the Dragon does the actual killing).

Transcendence gives you a better life window to work with.

The Black 'Pay X life for X Cards' cards are a good way to make use of the 5 life per turn reset. As is Lurking Evil, Infernal Contract, Death Wish, and a few more 'pay half your life' cards.

Reckless Assault is another good way to take advantage of the 5 life reset.

Convelescent Care with this nets you an extra card per turn, but I feel it's over-rated w/ this since the 3 life you gain simply goes away.

Worship is a good protection method.

Mirror Universe ends the game in a real hurry. At opponent's EOT, swap life, during your upkeep kill them.

Reflect Damage is a good defense for the opponent who tries to burn away that last 5 life of yours...and of course you follow it up with another 5 to the dome during your upkeep.

This and Reprecussion allows you to tink their criiters and do 5 damage to them.

Soulgorger Orgg becomes a much more attractive cast, as does Menacing Orge.

Furnace of Rath becomes very scary.

Of course any deck with this will run 4 Academy Rectors.

This is the new king of casual combo.

N

Nightstalkers

since 7th is still type II legal, why not throw in Pariah with that R/W combo so you can at least survive a little while longer searching for that combo.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Form of the Dragon = Moat...pretty good combo by itself!

T

train

Is there anything moat is not good with, besides your land creatures...;)

N

Nightstalkers

Ha! lets have a fantango with the moat!

Stupid Tefari's Moat of good for nothing protection *mumble* *mumble*

R

Reverend Love

Here's something I would try and do, granted I'm just slapping this together but with a little tweaking I'm sure it could work.......I hope.

4 Academy Rectors
1 Dream Halls
2 Dragon's Form
2 Transcedance
2 Dragon's Form
2 Zur's Weirding
3 Golden Wish
1 Enlightened Tutor
4 Fire and Ice (Pitch to Dream Halls)
4 Sword's to Plowshare
4 Tundra
4 Plateau
4 Volcanic Island

SB:
1 Dream Halls
1 Transcedance
1 Dragon's Form
1 Zur's Weirding

Basically don't let them draw cards with Zur's and Transcedance, Fix your life gain problem and deal five with Dragon's Form and Transcedance....maybe even throw in a Opalesence to really get silly.

T

train

That's not a bad idea... you could also throw some cromats, or sliver queens in just for more spell selection...

R

Reverend Love

Well now that I just bought a boat load of Form of the Dragon for 128 Yen a pop I'll give’ err a try (The exchange rate is something like 118 yen to the dollar right now). God I love living in Japan, if it's not in a net deck these cats over here don't want it. Mulitplayer's paradise! Picked up;

x4 Sliver Overlords for 238 Yen ea
x3 Bladewing the Risen 288 ea
x4 Karona, False Beer 188 Yen
x2 Morality Shift 50 yen ,
x2 Dragon Mage 218 Yen

And countless others...it's GREAT! ......Hey E-BAY here I come, time to triple my money!

I'll work on streamlined version of this suitable for 4 or more opponents and post it...maybe we can come up with something cool.

R

Reverend Love

Main Cards: 9
3 Form of the Dragon
3 Transcendence
2 Zur’s Weirding
1 Dream halls

Creatures: 4
4 Academy Rector

Spells: 22
2 Compulsion
4 Accumulated Knowledge
1 Fact or Fiction
2 Concentrate
4 Sword to Plowshare
1 Enlightened Tutor
2 Golden Wish
3 Fire and Ice
2 Disenchant
1 Replenish
1 Sterling Grove (Pitched into play with Dream Halls)

Artifacts: 1
1 Sol Ring

Land: 23
4 Tundra’s
4 Plateau
4 Volcanic Island
1 Gemstone Mine
2 Mountains
4 Islands
4 Plains

SB for Wishes:
1 Dream Halls
1 Form of the Dragon
1 Transcendence
1 Zur’s Weirding
1 Moat (or Trefari’s Moat)
1 Sterling Grove
2 Trefari's Moat

It's all about getting Dream Halls out.

Cards Drawers like Accumulated Knowledge, Concentrate, FoF help. Dig with Compulsion hopefully chucking a Academy Rector in the process....also works well with a Replenish. Once that's out you can go for FotD and Zur's. Sterling grove protects your junk. Disenchant is there for threats including your own Transcendence. Keep your opponents from drawing immediate threats with Zur's and call it gravy.

E

EricBess

I hate to burst any bubbles, but I don't think you want to be playing Transcendance with Form of the Dragon. It doesn't work the way you think it works.

Suppose you are at 5 life and have both Form of the Dragon and Transcendance in play. At the end of your turn, put the Form's trigger on the stack and I Lightning Bolt you. Bold deals 3 damage, Transcendence kicks in and you go to 8.

When Form's ability resolves, you go to 5, but that's a loss of 3 life. Transcendance sees that and up you go to 11. During my turn, I Shock you for 2, you go to 13.

At the end of my turn, back to 5, which is a loss of 8 life, so Transcendence puts you at 21 and you lose.

It seems odd, but any life swings from cards like Form of the Dragon are considered to be a loss or gain of life and card like Transcendence will trigger on such things.

In short, you are far more stable without the Transcendence than you are with it.

R

Reverend Love

Aah dude that sucks, your right. I looked it up and unfortunately the change of life is either considered life-gain of loss of life (i.e. damage). AAAAAARGH! Transcendence is one of those cards that at first glance is "hmm I can use this for something" but then you quickly realize old R&D made a completely retarded card useful only as landfill......much like Zur's Weirding. Well I take that back, maybe I can make some little Origami Cranes out of'm...at least they'd see use that way :mad:

E

EricBess

Hey, don't knock the Weirding. That's an amazing card if for no other reason than no one knows how to play against it.

Oh, such memories of Weirding with Library of Leng in play. Sigh...that doesn't even work now that they've changed the wording of Weirding (you used to discard the card - right back it goes :D).

Still, it's still amazing with cards such as Scroll rack. What, you want to give me another land? Okay, I'll just take these 4 lands you gave me and swap for the top 4.

Imagine Weirding with Future Sight...:D

R

Reverend Love

Don't get me wrong I like Weirding but when I heard of Transcendence I thought I had eventually found something which could basically allow me to deny all opponents their draw...but as we know that's a no go. I'd like to find a way to use it's potential for draw denial.

R

Rooser

Just gain yourself a bunch of life consistently and you should be fine. Of course, things that "put cards in hand" rather than "draw" them can help you get around weirding too. Or you can just find ways to draw excessively; they can't afford to deny you everything!

M

Mikeymike

Back to Form of the Dragon for a second.

For a beatdown creature to run along side of it I think Menacing Ogre could work. Since your life total will always reset back to 5, you could play some great mind games with your opponent on the bids and virtually guarantee you'll get a 5/5 hasted trampler - provided they don't want to pay 5 life to prevent you from getting the big guy. Either way, its a win/win for you.