Forgotten MRD block cards, Part II

M

Mur

Time for another round...

Just to show you that not everything is going to be "crap rares", today I'd like you to look again at Razor Barrier:

Card: Razor Barrier
Cost: 1W
Type: Instant
Wording : Target permanent you control gains protection from artifacts or from the color of your choice until end of turn.

It's a White counterspell, what's not to like? I can't recall seeing any decklists in which this card appears, not even MirrBC decks. Yet it would seem that any white-using deck that requires a permanent stay in play (e.g., Astral Slide?) in order to maintain its advantage, would want to use 2-4 of these.

Meanwhile, Razor Barrier does double duty by making your blockers invulnerable, nay, triple duty making your attackers unblockable.

M

Mikeymike

Personally I feel Shelter is a superior card in most formats. If we're talking specifically about MRD or Standard, then there really is no discussion b/c Shelter is Ody block.

T

train

barrier is great for this format - but doesn't do much outside of it - as MM pointed out - Shelter gives you the draw advantage...

O

orgg

Shelter doesn't protect your lands for LD, or your artifacts from hate, though, Train.

It's a versatile card, and I've used it to good effect in drafts occasionally-- why it goes thirteenth to fifteenth pick I don't know.

T

train

Outside the format, there is much more to use... It may be that there's not much LD around here...

It is very useful, but draw advantage seems much more important in a meta game...

M

Mikeymike

Holy crap, I didn't realize Razor Barrier targeted Permanents.

Duh, sorry. That changes the situation.

It can protect combo decks (and in turn have the opponent waste a card). Pretty cool.