4 wasteland
1 strip mine
4 forbidden orchard
3 islands
5 blue fetchlands

the creatures:
3 darksteel collossus

the control:
4 mana drain (currently winning 4 off ebay teehee)
4 force of will
3 daze (amazing)

the fun stuff:
1 crop rotation
4 sylvan scrying
4 oath of druids
3 crucible of worlds
4 nevy's armageddon frisby

other things
1 library of alexandria
4 standstill

Mana drain's are just so much cooler than any other non-FOW counter out there.

library is just too cool not to put in, and since i'll hopefully win mine next week....
think this would be effective?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think this could work. I am not positive if this would be good or not, but perhaps Brainstorm?

T

Tabasco

Yet another very original idea Soly...

I like the combo element.....but as you usually do, you have managed to also work in the control element...

Good counter control.....Nev's is very good as a board-clearer, and I especially like the Crucible/destroy lands combo....

I can't resist combos.....This deck is combo-rific.....Drain is also a great way to hard cast the "Iron Man" if necessary...

Besides pointing out the obvious, what is the consistancy?

What options are you considering for your Board...like you need one...

VERY NICE DECK!!! :D

F

Force of Will Smith

I think the idea is awesome.. a t2/t3 colossus with one card being uncounterable..

The only thing i see is that crucible with fetch lands nets you lots of land, but with crucible in play.. someone playing with artifact lands can bring them back, possibly giving them a chance to recoup...

if youd rather fetch 10x lands that worry about a disk that doesnt destroy their chances of winning then yeah.

Im kinda miffed the Legendary lands are kinda lame :(

I was expecting new tabernacles of the pendrell vale :(

T

Tabasco

But...do you see that besides recuring his fetch lands he also has 5 lands that destroy other lands....

1 Strip Mine and 4 Wasteland...:p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Force of Will Smith
The only thing i see is that crucible with fetch lands nets you lots of land, but with crucible in play.. someone playing with artifact lands can bring them back, possibly giving them a chance to recoup...

if youd rather fetch 10x lands that worry about a disk that doesnt destroy their chances of winning then yeah.
Crucible does not benefit the opponent though...

13NoVa

hey tabasco!!! I got my 4 drains! Whoot whoot

yeah what combo other than deathlong is good in type 1 or casual when everyone who is playing blue plays force of will's? Control is Amazing.

I'm actually considering playing with armageddon titans X2 and iron giant X1 just because everyone i play besides tony (tabasco) runs with at least 10 dual lands.

F

Force of Will Smith

u sure about that? I thought crucible said "players can play" not just you.. but if so then yeah.. i was uninformed, and it rox

13NoVa

Crucible wouldn't say " I win " 95% of the time in vintage tourny play if it said "players may"

the exact wording on crucible is

you may play lands from your graveyard as though they were in your hand.

F

Force of Will Smith

Hm, ok then.. 2 good combos and synergy.. im sold.. my bad.

P

phyrexia

I have been paying B/g Oath for years now...
The Colossus is just awesome in Multiplayer. You just have to be counter ready when you drop it, cause in multiplayer at least one guy has StP ready!
When I read about the orchard at starcity, I started to toy around with the idea of speeding up the Oath/Colossus Combo...

My Forbidden Oath build:

2 Darksteel Colossus

4 Oath of Druids
2 Gaea's Blessing
2 Crucible of Worlds
1 Zuran Orb
1 Fastbond
4 Force of Will
4 Mana Drain
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Tinker
4 Brainstorm
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Nevinyrral's Disk

1 Sol Ring
12 Island
5 Forest
4 Forbidden Orchard
3 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine

Card choices:

Darksteel Colossus
Indestructible, trample, 11/11 body. What else do you want, aside from flying? Oh, and it shuffles back into the library.

Oath of Druids
You want to oath agressively for the colossus, so 4 is the right number.

Gaea's Blessing
How could you not include this card? Saves you from getting decked & shuffles back useful cards into the deck. I favour running just 2. A third one is overkill.

Crucible of Worlds/Zuran Orb/Fastbond/Strips
I love Crucible. With Fastbond on the table, you can drop and blow up lands as you wish. Gets you limitless life or mana-screws your opponents.
I don't Know if 2/1/1/4 is the right number... maybe a third crucible would be better?

Force of Will
No comment.

Mana Drain
Just great with disks. Counter some random or important stuff (better) your opponent wants to play and then drop the disk for free on your turn.

Mystical Tutor/Tinker
Search your library for an instatn/sorcery or blow up an artifact and get a colossus.

Brainstorm
I think Brainstorm is one of the most powerful drawspells. Also perfect to protect important cards or get that colossus back on top of the library.

Accumulated Knowledge
I know Knowledge looks odd in a deck that has virtually no graveyard most of the time, but so far it worked for myself.

4 Nevinyrral's Disk
Just blow it up as soon as you have your colossus out.
Get rid of almost everything..

Mana base
I don't own any duals :rolleyes: or fechtlands (I'll try to alter that asap) so I have to stick to basiclands.

Forbidden Orchard
If for some reason noone wants to play creatures because of your oath, laugh at them! Give them tiny 1/1s and crush them with the colossus. Maybe 4 is to many...?

greetz

phy

T

Tabasco

4 is definitely not to many...

Look at it as a city of brass....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've heard it said that Forbidden Orchard will do for Oath of Druids what Cabal Therapy did for Academy Rector. While the comparison isn't quite fair, since Rector fetches one of the most broken cards in the game, I think that it does have a ring of truth to it.

Rector had always been good, but it needed a good way to sacrifice itself, and Phyrexian Tower is no Cabal Therapy.

Oath has seen a lot of use in pretty much all formats. But this was usually in control-heavy decks that used the Oath as a mechanism to fetch a monstrosity if the opponent dropped a creature, thereby persuading the opponent not to play creatures.

For a deck actually relying on Oath, Funeral Pyre is simply not a good card to combo with. Forbidden Orchard is not perfect, but it is certainly the best yet.

13NoVa

first things first phy... since i havent seen you before... welcome.

second thing. i disagree with some of your choices.

i'll explain...

2 Darksteel Colossus 2 is 1 too little that's because i don't like blessing, which will be described right below

2 Gaea's Blessing if played the total control way, which is what i play, you will have a crucible in play when you oath. being heavy on control allows you to say "i don't need to oath yet, because my guy will be defensless if i do". If you oath, chances are if you have a crucible in play you will mill out one of your strip effects, thus allowing you to play it from the grave

2 Crucible of Worlds +1

1 Zuran Orb
1 Fastbond
these take up two spots, and put a combo in the deck that you don't want to see. It's a nice combo, yeah.... but I have seen soo many people who try SO HARD to get this combo. I use crucible for a control aspect. i'd actually perfer 4 explorations over a fastbond and a couple orbs any day

1 Mystical Tutor you really don't need to tutor for a instant or sorcery

1 Tinker the deck isn't too heavy on the artifacts unless you run full power or artifact lands. I don't own full power (yet) and i don't like NOT being able to thin my deck wiht fetchlands.

4 Brainstorm
4 Accumulated Knowledge
good cards, and i can see why you'd want to include them, but you always want to be able to get an orchard into play (via crop rotation and sylvan scrying) and standstill is just such a better control card. a LOT of players will cringe when standstill hit's because if they play anything it allows you to draw 3. it's perfect to blanket yourself while you fill your hand with oath + control

1 Sol Ring just isn't needed. the only things that you'd want to hardcast is MAYBE a collossus against mono-blue (talking tournament here) crucible and disk, and a drain will take care of all those problems.

Yeah guys keep in mind i'm a vintage tournament player so of course unlike the rest of you i'm not talking casual play.

P

phyrexia

3 Colossi would be definitly better, but I do only own 2 and if I'd want another creature I would include Akroma. ;)

That's why I like the blessing in oath. In MULTIPLAYER to be excact... Without the Blessing your going to get decked real fast.

Otherwise I agree with your choices... not shuffling your library back gives crucible a huge boost.
The mystical isn't really worth it. You're right...

I Still don't like Standstill. Period. Don't ask me why... :rolleyes:
I'd rather have Rhystic Study. But maybe I'm just plain dump.

And thanks for the welcome!

13NoVa

Rystic study says pay one whenever i play a spell.

standstill says "i draw 3 whenever YOU play a spell"

standstill is more of a quick boost, which is what i like.

why akroma? Why not something like Crater Hellion?

if you're running with blessings, you can run blistering firecats, ball lightnings, and crater hellions. think about it, "I am going to oath out a crater hellion to kill almost everything in play. next upkeep, i'm going to NOT pay echo, and since i just gave you a creature, i will also activate the oath getting a blistering firecat."

P

phyrexia

I understand that hellion seems a good choice, but I seldom see "small" creatures with 4 toughness in multiplayer.
That's because my friends play reanimator or oath, or just some silly big creature deck. We've got only one guy with a army of squirrel deck (well some kind of) and one with a wheenie deck.

Akroma is just cool in multiplayer. A 6/6 flyer with protection from black/red, vigilance, trample and first strike is a killer.

I'll give standstill a try.

I can't believe I really said that... :D

T

Tabasco

Well first things first

Rhystic Study

and...Phyrexia

I think you forgot flying and haste for Akroma....she has 7 amazing abilities

I do see Akroma as being a viable option, but after the next turn it becomes inferior to the colossus...

Akroma cip and deals 6...)haste, the attacks for 6 the next turn=12 damage

D. Colossus cip waits a turn then wallops for 11=11 damage

However, The colossus only needs 2 swings=your dead

Akroma needs 4....nuff said

M

Mikeymike

First question: What format? I'm guessing 1.5/Raisin b/c I don't see any P9. If it is type 1, Time Walk should definitely be in here.

How about Fling?

It is a 3rd color, but considering your mana-cleaning capabilities I do not believe a 3rd color would be difficult to pull off. Keep in mind that Gemstone Mine could also add even more mana cleaning, and works w/ the Crucible.

It is also a counterable threat, but it likely increases your win speed by one turn if it works. Risk = Speed in this case.

Another alternative speed-up is finding a way to give the Big fella haste. The two best options that I see are Lightning Greaves, or Need for Speed (which can come out on turn 1, and combos with the Crucible).

Finally, if more card-draw is an issue, Accumulated Knowledge could work possibly work. I like its interaction with Oath, but I do not love that it does not do a great job of actually getting the Oath out.