For tourney minded folk

R

rkoelsch

anyone notice they didn't rotate out IA block from extended? I guess that rumor wasn't very accurate.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't that just the Banned/Restricted List for individual cards? Don't they do a whole separate annoouncement regarding the entire format and what sets are legal?

R

rkoelsch

I think they use this to annouce when sets are rotated. Ohterwise you have to look at the floor rules to find the sets allowed and full banned/restricted lists. I could be wrong though.

O

olwen

The point to rotating sets out is to create a new/balanced environment. The current environment is pretty wide open in terms of viable Tier 1 and 2 decks (except for Donate of course), and feels pretty fresh because of the power cards from Apocalypse and Odyssey (and the previous bannings of course).

I never thought they would rotate sets out this year and we should see what the new stand-alone expansion brings to the environment before predicting any more change to the Extended format.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I found the last announcement when the sets were rotated for Extended and it was in a Banned/Restricted Update like this one, so I guess you just have to keep your eyes peeled.

The one in 1999 said "the next two or three years", so if not this one this perhaps next year.

T

Turtlewax Joe

Ice Age block is otating out around November next year. Don't ask how i know, I just do.

T.J.:p

T

Turtlewax Joe

If the Dual didn't rotate when revised did I don't think they're leaving period.

T.J.:p

Z

Zadok001

Personally, I'd rather see just the duals vanish than just Ice Age block. It's really excessive when most decks are using 15+ duals. Really frustrating. I'd love to see Ice Age and Co. vanish in a puff of smoke too, but the duals are the bigger problem.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, I think they left the duals in because WOTC were of the opinion that there weren't any good "substitutes" in the sets that DID stay in. Since there's been a couple of blocks released since then, WOTC is probably re-evaluating that decision.