For all you dedicated Black players out there

P

Purple_jester

Okay, if you don't play black you shouldn't bother reading this. If you do play black, then you should long be familiar with the subtle dynamics of that most famous of black effects: burying creatures (for those who haven't been around Magic that long, "bury" means to destroy without being able to regenerate).

Having played Magic for a very long time, I am amazed at the variety of black creature-kill floating around now. So amazed, in fact, that I often get confused which to put in my next black deck. So, I'd like to know the opinions of my fellow black players.

If you had the option of placing any black creature removal in your deck, what would they be? And more importantly, WHY that particular card instead of the others? Alternatively, you could just vote for the most effective and least effective creature removal. Your options would include (but are not limited to):

Terror
Ashes to Ashes
Dark Banishing
Feast or Famine
Diabolic Edict
Befoul
Snuff Out
Vendetta
Seal of Doom
Nekrataal (yes, this counts)
Bone Shredder (yes, this counts)

So, any takers?

G

Gizmo

Diabolic Edict, obviously. When you absolutely positively have to put a creature in the bin, accept no substutes or get-out clauses. But you`d probably need a back-up spell to deal with multiple criters, say a Nevinyrral`s Disk.

Ah, wait, might have changed my mind.
Drain Life, because it kills monsters OR people if they don`t have any monsters. AND it usually involves drawing a butt-load of cards from Necropotence as well.

I want to to have Diabolic Edict AND Drain Life.
And Nev`s Disk.

D

Django

Diabolic Edict without doubt. Targeting the player instead of the creature and making him sacrifice it, therefore preventing regeneration and other annoying mechanics.
As back-up I would pick Snuff Out. It's got a nice (almost all of the time at least) ACC and its regular CC is just one more than Seal of Doom. Add to that that it can target artifact creatures too, and you have a wonderful creature removal spell.

H

Hellion

More recently, Forced March is great for Black Control decks. Snuff Out and Vendetta are great removals. However, Black also have great removal spells in the past like Diabolic Edict, Grave Pact and Contagion.

However, drop cards like Unmask and Stupor can be also considered as "removal cards." Hmmmm....

Here's my pick:
1. Diabolic Edict
2. Snuff Out
3. Contagion

But my fav is Snuff Out, it's a really good "reprint" of Dark Banishing.

T

The Magic Jackal

I'd have to say snuff out. It's the best removal in type 2 for two reasons: a) you don't need mana to cast it, B) It kills artifact creatures a.k.a. masticore. I would put either nev's disk (not black though) or massacre at second. For their mass removal capabities. Forced march isn't as good as Massacre IMHO.

D

Dark Horse

Well for sheer everything you own dies power, I'd have to go w/ plague wind, but if you have spare creatures, attrition is also good. Diabolic edict means they WILL die, as its unavoidable. Snuff outs nice Acc makes it a possibility. However, im gonna have to say eradicate. This is my order-
1) Eradicate
2) Plague Wind
3) Snuff Out
4) Diabolic Edict
5) Attrition

H

HumanError

Why is everyone going with Diabolic Edict? Having tried very hard to make it useful I've really come to the conclusion that it's just not useful creature kill. Your opponent chooses what to fry, and very often it's not what you want. I'm sorry, I'm gonna go old school here and say that if you want solid creature kill, you want Dark Banishing or Terror. Definitely Contagion, though. That card's bailed me out of a LOT of jams.

C

Cateran Overlord

Contagion, no doubt about it. Any creature kill that doesn't allow for regeneration is godly. It even allows you to negate a creature with a drawback and make your opponent keep paying anyway. Next up has to be Edict, untargeted removal is godly.

For mass removal, Nev disk doesn't count Gizmo, as it's not black. Otherwise it ties with Forced March (SOOOOO underrated, esp. since black control usually uses high CC creatures anyhoo) for sheer evilness :D

A

arhar

OVERWHELMING FORCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6BB
Sorcery

Destroy all your opponents creatures. Draw a card for each creature destroyed that way.

(Rare from Portal: Three Kingdoms)

The wording on this one is terrible (opponent's or opponents' ?), and it allows regeneration, but if you play in multiplayer this card RULES!!!!! In a long game, you'll never have problems reaching 8 mana, and the card advantage is INSANE.

As for tournament-legal cards, though, I'd say Vendetta. Cheap and to the point.

G

galtwish

There is a Tempest rare like Overwhelming Forces, it's called Dregs of Sorrow. B4X, where X is the number of target non-black creatures destroyed. Draw a card for each creature destroed in this way.

Mmmmm,...sorrowlicious...

Erik

T

TheGuyFromTheOtherPost

...pick the cards that are useful all the time. Diabolic Edict is always useful, against any type of deck with creatures. It doesn't care about protection, being black, being artifact, regeneration, and all that crap. It's an Instant and it only costs 1B, how good is it? Try it for yourself.

My second pick would have to be Expunge. Sure, it can't destroy Black or Artifact creatures, but that's what the Cycling is for. If you're not going to use it, than Cycle it and get a Diabolic Edict or something.

My third pick is for Drain Life. Sure, it's the least effective against almost all kind of creatures, and it costs a lot of mana to destroy the creatures, but it could be used against players, and it gives you life, which could help.

There, Purple_Jester, I hope this helps, and if it doesn't, I know why, because I'm only the Guy from the other post.

P

Plaguelord

Like almost everyone else I think Diabolic Edict is at least close to the top of the list. I think so because its incredibly hard to find creature removal that effects black creatures (I hate black on black matches) and then snuff out because alternate mana cost is always good. The one that will always hold a special place in my heart though has to be grave pact...I've found so many creatures I can use for it my opponent has a hell of a time doing anything.

The Ascendant Evincar is my personal favorite removal of all time because it pumps me up at the same time.

Z

Zadok001

Edict is a personal favorite. I'm rather suprised no one has mentioned Necrataal, though... I mean, it's amazing! It generally goes 2 for 1, and it's a beatdown creature if even there's nothing to kill with it's ability...

N

nanokill

favorites: :p

1.diabolict edict
2.eradicate
3.avatar of woe
4.acendent evincar

they are musts in almost all of my black decks

A

Almindhra

The first black card I thought was the neatest thing was Kaorvek's Spite (if thats how you spell it)...It was just nice to end the game with that...

M

Mr_Pestilence

I like Edict as a backup to Pestilence. It takes out pro-Black critters and otherwise untargetable creatures.

E

Erbrich

I would have to say the one that is usually at the top of my list is Diabolical Edict. Most of the reasons for it have already been stated, so i won't waste time with that.
I am also prone to using the "classic" removals, Terror and Dark Banishing. They usually work for me.
As for the most annoying to have played against me, I would have to say Nekrataal. Any removal is annoying if you have a really good creature out, but if they get something extra out of it too, if can put you at a big disadvantage.

Erb

A

Apollo

1. Contagion
2. Nekrataal
3. Snuff Out

I don't like the Edict cause all my friends have decks with lots of creatures, and I never get the one I want. Of course, for removal in general, I say Disk, Shard Phoenix, Cursed Scroll. Strange that not a one is black, the color of removal.

T

Thrash Golem

Diabolic Edict is the best because of those pesky morphlings. Forced march is cool too. What saved my butt in tournaments was Bone shredder.. he's one of my top 5 favorite black creatures.