FoF or PoS

T

Turtlewax Joe

I understand that fact or fiction is popular, but i don't get why:rolleyes: ...your opponent chooses the piles!

PoS=Piece of Hampster

(sorry administrators)
[Taken Care Of! -an "administrator")

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think the point is that you're getting more cards during your turn. Anytime you can get more than the card you normally draw, it's something to be looked at, because more cards mean more options for you and you're going deeper into your deck.

S

superguy

Well actually, your opponent makes the piles and you choose it... and it nets you anywhere from one good card to 3-4 other ones for mere four mana. It's a great deal indeed. Don't see how you can call it a PoS...

M

Mundungu

plus it is an instant ....

FOF is a very balanced, very good uncommon ...

E

Ephrils

It can turn the tide too, if there's a card you need right then among those 5, you can get it, usually with something extra. It's one of the most efficient card drawers available now too, I think.

U

Ura

FoF is a digger card, a searcher or whatever else you want to call it.
It gives you extra cards which is good, but more specifically it gives you much higher odds or getting very specific cards at the right time. This is why its good but especially shines in decks with some kind of combo that requires components and blue has long been a culprit in the combo game.

Imagine this:
Your getting smacked down by your opponents army of greenies (not the nose kind), and you must get a wrath of god or die. You know you have 4 in your deck but have yet to draw one. Your turn comes, you draw, its not wrath, just some blue thing called Fact or Fiction. You cast it and get to see 5 more cards that regardless of how your opponent spilts them, if one is a wrath your home free.

Imagine this:
Your building a deck to utilize the new threshold ability and you need a way to get the card with threshold in your hand and the rest in the graveyard to activate them. FoF does a nice job of this because it lets you pick the cards you want to cast while dumping the rest making the ones you picked more powerful.
This is a similar tactic I use with my extended Living Death deck. I'm only looking for one maybe two cards and don't mind the rest being dumped because I will get them back if they're creatures. Along with forbid and frantic search, it makes for some nice extended graveyard filling for those nasty recursive style decks such as Living Death or the formally existing Replenish, though its a tad slow for the old replenish decks at times.

On top of this kind of stuff its also slashable because its CC is only 3U and its an instant meaning you can use it at the end of the opponents turn keeping your own resources free for counters and other assorted effects. Its very balanced, the only drawback to it at all if it can even be considered a drawback is that it costs 4 mana where other search and dig cards for blue are often less. Brainstorm is U, Impulse is 1U, Accumulated Knowledge is 1U, Ancestral Recall is U. So its sorta the big uncle of blue searching instants. :) And its a good uncle at that.

Z

Zadok001

Specific situations aside, the plain truth about FoF is that it will ALWAYS get you the best card out of your top 5, if you want it. And it will often net you a second card as well, though that one will rarely be of a good quality.

The thing to remember is that your opponent doesn't know what you already have, and is therefore unaware of what you NEED. If that is the case, then FoF generates a suprising amount of card quality in addition to it's already considerable card advantage.

T

Turtlewax Joe

i thought it was kinda' Mongoose till' my first T II tourney. I kicks ass now that I've seen It in action.:) :p

D

Dune Echo

Inspiration.

'nuff said. Worst case scenario, you get to choose 3 or 2 really bad cards off the top of your library at the same speed, or if your opponent does 1 and 4 card piles, you get still better card advantage than Inspiration will ever provide.