Flicker vs. Liberate

X

xreemer

I've been trying to figure out good scenarios where these cards would come in handy.

Flicker
1W, Instant, UD Rare
Remove target non-token permanent from the game, then return it to play under its owner's control.

Liberate
1W, Instant, IN Uncommon
Remove target creature you control from the game. At the end of turn, return that card to play under its owner's control.

Flicker can't save a creature from a terminate while Liberate can and I doubt it could save a 2/2 from a shock. The only other scenario I can think of is removing a local enchantment, but then you might as well use a disenchant. They could both be used for combat or untapping tactics.

Which would you use and how?

S

superguy

I like them both, but Flicker can remove an enchatment, get a stolen creature back, make opponent pay echo again, and probably most importantly, reuse all those 187 abilities on creatures. Though by no means is Liberate a horrbile card (also saves a critter from a Wrath). My vote goes to Flicker.

M

Mundungu

I love both very dearly but couldnt find them a good use either....

The thing is that white doesnt have many great 187 creatures (apart the ones who give you life) and in multicolored deck, there usually isnt any space left for those cards.

I thought flicker would be great in an Ankh Tide deck, doubling the Wave's effect for example, but it didnt go that way.

Maybe they are the "sleepers" of tomorrow

Side note:
I also find that Winnow aint bad at all, since most decks run 4 of ...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, I use Flicker to cancel out abilities.

For example, My opponent plays Flametoungue Kavu and the only creature in play is my poor Serra Angel. He targets it, I stack damage, then Flicker it, which in turn, saves it.

You can also use it to Save Private Ryan, but that takes too much time to explain.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Z

Zadok001

Which is the number 1 reason I choose Liberate. You just can't beat Instant speed effects like that. It's essentially a White Confound, sans cantrip, with some bonus uses. And it's really an excellent card, just not main-deck worthy in most situations. Liberate rocks.

G

Gizmo

I`d hope to be playing neither. If I had to play one it would be Liberate as it`s an Instant, making it approximately 17,000,000 times better than Flicker.

S

superguy

I just realize that Liberate can also reuse the 187 abilties, so... ahem... Im changing my vote to it. Jeez, how stupid did I get? (rhethorical question)

M

Mikeymike

Just like anything else, they both are better than the other in certain instances

Flicker Strengths:
Can target ANY non-token permanent
Its 'come back into to play instantly' effect makes it easier to time 187 effects
Can get back stolen creatures
Resets echo
Resets Saproling Burst and other Parallax cards

Liberate Strengths:
An instant
Its delayed 'come into play' can save your creatures from every removal spell (well maybe 99.9%) in the game.
Better artwork

Liberate is much more versaitile but Flicker is better as a combo card.

I choose Cold Storage!

X

xreemer

It looks like liberate is the better of the two cards, but you're right, I probably wouldn't want to use either of them. It looks like flicker would work great with fading.