First Time

Discussion in 'CPA Voting Forum' started by Killer Joe, Apr 4, 2000.

1. Killer Joe Active Member

The first time I went to "The Dojo" (Spring of '98 ) I was amazed at all of the accumulated knowledge that it contained. I was a poor deck builder (I still need some work) and was looking for idea's. I was in pursuit of a great 5CG deck and found a gold mine. "Decks" I never realized that I was a click away from the point of no return. Once I went to "Decks" I knew I had bitten the apple, "The Dojo Effect" apple.
    I have no real regrets, I tried to trim my visits to that section, but it didn't work. I became a Dojo junkie. I will admit though that I didn't do much in the way of posting on the boards or even go to the chat room. That wasn't until I got here (CPA).
    So let's hear it:
    Q: What was your first experience at "The Dojo"?
  2. The Magic Jackal Veteran CPA Member<BR><font co

to yellowjacket-
    <---------(8)--------

Boy is this fun! Fist expierence. Well, after my first tournament (PTQ), someone recommended that i got to the dojo for deck help. I sure found it. Nowadays I find that the decks are even worth reading. The only good decks they post are the ones that are posted by the colluminsts or from tournie reports.

[Edited by The Magic Jackal (04-05-2000 at 02:41 PM).]
  3. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

Smooth, Emilio, very smooth. (To rephrase that, Jackal, what say your post needs some editing? :) )

I think I first signed on to the Dojo shortly after the original message boards opened. I was about 0% computer literate, so I just sat in the background and listened, 'cause I couldn't figure out how to get a nickname... I'm so pathetic.

Anyways, I spent most of my time reading the random rants put up about Star Wars, and the True Evil of Combo Decks, and I loved it. I never realized the possibility of a true online group of _friends_ until that day. I think it was the whole Star Wars rant that cinched it. Two people, who probably didn't even know it each other's real names, arguing opposite point, and _joking_ about it the whole way down. They played out the whole argument like a fencing match, one starting a post with 'Touche!,' the next post would start with 'Parry!' It was both hilarious and impressive.

Other than my instant love of the message boards, I became a regular reader of Wakefield, while all but ignoring the other 'real' Pro Tour guys. I've read all his stuff dozens of times. :) There's a certain artform to both ranting and complaining, I believe Wakefield both invented and perfected those arts.

Word has it that Al Tran may be taking the Dojo back as a public domain, but that's just a rumor.

"Truth in fiction: Long live the dying Dojo."
  4. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

I don't remember how long ago it was, but the first really interesting thing I remember seeing on the Dojo was the deck called TurboZvi... this long before Zvi was a supa-star... it was the Dream Halls/Gaea's cradle deck... too cool... my first 30-minute turn...
  5. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

D'oh!
    I meant Gaea's Blessing, not Cradle!
    It's worth noting that the deck was posted on a message board, rather than as an article, articles being pretty uncommon way back then.
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Well, I can't remember when it was, but it was when Frank Kumsato (sp?) was still running the site and there weren't any featured writers or Pro/tournament bias. It was just a collection of threads from I think Usenet groups. I think it was either Winter of '96 or early Spring of '97. Anyway, I went there because of a Duelist article on the Internet, ah, I actually have it here, #12, and what Internet sites were popping up to cover Magic. It was the Fall of '96. I went back and spent about a couple weeks reading all of the back threads in Community and Strategy and Theory. Never spent much time in the Deck section though.
  7. Killer Joe Active Member

Great, now I'M dead. *%^$%@#!#$@!!!