First Time

Killer Joe

The first time I went to "The Dojo" (Spring of '98 ) I was amazed at all of the accumulated knowledge that it contained. I was a poor deck builder (I still need some work) and was looking for idea's. I was in pursuit of a great 5CG deck and found a gold mine. "Decks" I never realized that I was a click away from the point of no return. Once I went to "Decks" I knew I had bitten the apple, "The Dojo Effect" apple.
I have no real regrets, I tried to trim my visits to that section, but it didn't work. I became a Dojo junkie. I will admit though that I didn't do much in the way of posting on the boards or even go to the chat room. That wasn't until I got here (CPA).
So let's hear it:
Q: What was your first experience at "The Dojo"?

T

The Magic Jackal

to yellowjacket-
<---------(8)--------

Boy is this fun! Fist expierence. Well, after my first tournament (PTQ), someone recommended that i got to the dojo for deck help. I sure found it. Nowadays I find that the decks are even worth reading. The only good decks they post are the ones that are posted by the colluminsts or from tournie reports.

[Edited by The Magic Jackal (04-05-2000 at 02:41 PM).]

Z

Zadok001

Smooth, Emilio, very smooth. (To rephrase that, Jackal, what say your post needs some editing? :) )

I think I first signed on to the Dojo shortly after the original message boards opened. I was about 0% computer literate, so I just sat in the background and listened, 'cause I couldn't figure out how to get a nickname... I'm so pathetic.

Anyways, I spent most of my time reading the random rants put up about Star Wars, and the True Evil of Combo Decks, and I loved it. I never realized the possibility of a true online group of _friends_ until that day. I think it was the whole Star Wars rant that cinched it. Two people, who probably didn't even know it each other's real names, arguing opposite point, and _joking_ about it the whole way down. They played out the whole argument like a fencing match, one starting a post with 'Touche!,' the next post would start with 'Parry!' It was both hilarious and impressive.

Other than my instant love of the message boards, I became a regular reader of Wakefield, while all but ignoring the other 'real' Pro Tour guys. I've read all his stuff dozens of times. :) There's a certain artform to both ranting and complaining, I believe Wakefield both invented and perfected those arts.

Word has it that Al Tran may be taking the Dojo back as a public domain, but that's just a rumor.

"Truth in fiction: Long live the dying Dojo."

C

Chaos Turtle

I don't remember how long ago it was, but the first really interesting thing I remember seeing on the Dojo was the deck called TurboZvi... this long before Zvi was a supa-star... it was the Dream Halls/Gaea's cradle deck... too cool... my first 30-minute turn...

C

Chaos Turtle

D'oh!
I meant Gaea's Blessing, not Cradle!
It's worth noting that the deck was posted on a message board, rather than as an article, articles being pretty uncommon way back then.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I can't remember when it was, but it was when Frank Kumsato (sp?) was still running the site and there weren't any featured writers or Pro/tournament bias. It was just a collection of threads from I think Usenet groups. I think it was either Winter of '96 or early Spring of '97. Anyway, I went there because of a Duelist article on the Internet, ah, I actually have it here, #12, and what Internet sites were popping up to cover Magic. It was the Fall of '96. I went back and spent about a couple weeks reading all of the back threads in Community and Strategy and Theory. Never spent much time in the Deck section though.