Finally.. a CONSISTENT Kobold Deck!!

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
F

Force of Will Smith

It's a fact.. most kobold decks suck.. Here's one i've been working with for quite some time..

The problem with most Kobold decks is that they rely one one engine. This has multiple.

4 Crimson Kobolds
4 Crookshank Kobolds
4 Kobolds of Kher Keep
4 Ornithopter
4 Phyrexian Walker

4 Glimpse of Nature
4 Land Grant
4 Mob Justice
2 Scattershot
2 Sprouting Vines

4 Bravado
4 Kyren Negotiations

4 Skullclamp

7 Forest
7 Mountain

Skullclamp is almost never used..
you may also want to run
4 sprouting instead of 2 scatter 2 sprout..

You can play at your own pace. Optimal mana/creature curve.
you can usually wait till turn 4.. play a glimpse.. a few kobolds.. then a sprout for mostly all the lands in your deck.. then maybe a mob justice and a bravado in one turn for 12-16 damage.

kobolds+sprouting to thin out your deck.
Kyren to do massive damage each turn.
Mob justice for a cheap cost killer.
Bravado to play on your ornithopter for an easy 8/8 flier.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It looks interesting. Not as much bang as the infamous black Kobold-Clamp decks, but perhaps a bit more stable...

How well does it run?

F

Force of Will Smith

Amazingly well.. I put this together after playing 13 or so different versions including...

decks with 4 bayou.. 4 land grants... you really need some land..

decks where clamp and tendrils were slapped in but there wasnt enough synergy to do anything

Decks that relied to heavily on glimpse, and would make you hold your 0ccs.

Decks running all the kobold leaders with moxes and stuff slapped in, basically wasting them.

Decks that ran yawgmoth's Will and bargains.

Decks that relied on you having ALL your kobolds in the grave..

Thing is... if you wanted to put tendrils or something else you'd need to choose 16 cards primarily of 1 color that do a good job..

If you so desire'd you could run
4 Brain Freeze
4 Mystical Tutor
4 Merchant Scroll (for freeze or tutor)
4 Opposition

which might actually be pretty badass..
There was one kobold deck that performed ok but had some holes in it... here it is..

4 Crimson Kobolds
3 Crookshank Kobolds
4 Kobolds of Kher Keep
4 Ornithopter
4 Phyrexian Walker
4 Shield Sphere

4 Culling the Weak
2 Yawgmoth's Will

4 Death Pit Offering
1 Necropotence

4 Ashnod's Altar
4 Riptide Replicator
4 Sol Ring

14 Swamp

It basically relies on a potentially turn 1 death pits, followed by a yawmoth's will..

The 2 sometimes connect.. but holding back with a kobold deck is kind of silly.. in the right direction though,... and the ratio of 0cc to mana is flawless considering he's not using any spirit guides or land grants.

The Problem is it has 2 separate goals... holding kobolds and blowing them up after they hit play..

option1: wait for death pit.. hope they dont nuke your enchantment, making kobolds wimpy again.

option2: play a ton of them.. use sol rings and ashnods to make a huge riptide token...

I also say that riptide replicator is awful anyway you slice it...
say you sacrifice 5 kobolds for 10 mana..
cost is 4X, then X to pump one out.. so 10 mana for a 6 counters that your opponent has 2 turns to destroy..(sickness, mana constraints, untapping, etc)

I guess ideally i could use both brain freeze opposition, mob justice, and kyren.. but it f's up the mana and you'll not onnly be holding kobolds, but enchantmentts with double cost.. in order to tackle that.. you'd have to run all dual lands.. and then you might as well make a nigh unbeatable sliver deck.

Although it could just be the sideboard :D

16 cards is pretty close to 15

-1 Sprouting Vines
-2 Scattershot

+4 Brain Freeze
+4 Mystical Tutor
+3 Merchant Scroll (for freeze or tutor)
+4 Opposition

I think we have a winner...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The only one I know to have seriously performed was Clamp of Kher Keep, which got out Carnival of Souls, dropped Kobolds and used the black mana to Skullclamp them over and over, eventually casting Dark Ritual and Tendrils of Agony...

They could perhaps work with something like Opposition, although there isn't much of a reason to use Kobolds over their artifact cousins (Shield Sphere, Phyrexian Walker, and Ornithopter) unless Skullclamp is involved...

F

Force of Will Smith

that version is awful, and rarely worked. Half of the opening hands would have you pounded or committing suicide.. and just having clamp doesnt work.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It was able to compete in the old 1.5 for a while, although not with all that much success, it seems. I don't think that's awful...

F

Force of Will Smith

Maybe the version i used was a copy of a copy of a copy.

You have a decklist?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
No, I don't have a decklist for it, but The Source would have one archived if anyone does...

It's also somewhere on StarCity, but I would look on The Source...

T

train

Run them with Carrion Feeders and a favorite of mine... Ritual of the Machine...:D

F

Force of Will Smith

Ritual is took expensive and doesnt fit the cost...

I dont really want to blow up my kobolds too badly either... songs of the damned route wasnt as effective.

plus that'd be Black red and green..

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by train
Run them with Carrion Feeders and a favorite of mine... Ritual of the Machine...:D
How would that be of any use at all to a combo deck?

Plus Ritual of the Machine is useless against artifact creatures, black creatures, and creatureless decks.