Final Fantasy (all of them!)

Ferret

Staff member
Time to throw some of my favourite gaming opinions into the mix:

Unless everyone has been living under random rocks, you've heard the name Final Fantasy. For console systems the name has always been synonymous with excellent writing, music, characters, fight systems, monsters...you get the idea.

Question is: which is your favourite Final Fantasy?

-Ferret

"...don't make me choose!"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Haven't played them all. Storyline was the best that I know of is VII.

Edit: Oops, put the wrong game when I originally posted this...

Ferret

Staff member
It's weird, but I can't say I have one particular favourite, so I'll just say which is my fav by category:

Story: VI (originally released as III on the SNES)
Characters: IX (Vivi absolutely rocks!)
Music: VII (I actually bought the soundtrack)
Graphics: X (although, from what I'v seen of XII it might change)
Chocobo Theme: VIII (the only real good thing to come out of that one)

-Ferret

"...I refuse to think of XI as a real FF..."

C

chris92

FF10's the best for me. though i enjoyed FFtactics quite a bit.

N

Notepad

My favorites...

Story: Final Fantasy Tactics
Gameplay: Final Fantasy Tactics
Replay Value: Final Fantasy Tactics
Portability: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Graphics: Final Fantasy VII (awesome for the time, and the CGI stuff is still pretty dang nifty)
Characters: (tie) Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX
Music: Final Fantasy VII (actually bought the soundtrack, also)
Excitement: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (keeps ya on your seat almost all the time)
Multiplayer: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Best use of system Peripherals: FFCC again
Favorite Villain: Sephiroth (FF7)
Favorite Hero: Vivi (FF9)
Favorite Underdog Hero: Freya (FF9)
Most Laughed-At Character: Steiner (FF9--man, he is one stupid looking pile of crap, and he's a laugh a minute because of it!)
Best Dialogue: Final Fantasy VI

Overall Best: Final Fantasy Tactics

I have never played the actual III, and I haven't beaten II or IX yet (though I watched my brother beat it, and decided the crappy cinema scene was not worth beating the game for, so my file went cold). I have X and still have not even opened the disc cover (still working on Beyond Good and Evil little by little) and I refuse to buy the trash that is X-2 or XI.

Looking very forward to XII, which uses the setting of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Yay!

Worst ending ever has to go to Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, sadly.

P

Prince RXI

Favorite FF: 3, japanese 6.
It had the most characters. The storyline was the most indepth. The villain, Kefka, was by far the most evil one out of all the FFs. I mean, the guy was trying to stop all of existance, even his own! Can't get more evil and perverse than that!!!!

The FF I say should never have had the name: 8. No comment.

I play XI alot. I am on the Seraph server as Raiserxi. If you are ever on, look me up:)

I am sorry, but I think of FFXI as a major FF. It is also the only MMORGP that actually has a storyline. I love Red mage job class.

Tactics was a great game, but tactics advanced was just... different... that's the only word that fits... I liked the game, it was just... yah... anyway

IX was very good.

VII was good (Though I thought that sephy was just a little but of a stretch... Don't get me wrong, He kicks @$$, but he is not really a true villain compaired to the others. I mean, all he wants to do is reclaim what was *as he thought* stolen from him.) The real evil person in FFVII was Hojo, not Sephiroth.

I have a forum *recently made the head admin of it* that is an FFXI site, FFXI.sceneoracle.com

I answered very much the same question on it as well.

Prince RXI, Lord of the Lords of Vana'Diel on seraph server. NewLordsOfVanaDiel Linkshell holder.

R

Rooser

Sorry, but VI wins the prize. Or at least "is better than VII."

M

Mikeymike

I never played Tactics, by the time I got around to buying it, it was selling for $150 on eBay...what's up with that?

All 6 references = III on the SNES

Story: 6
Characters: 7
Music: 10
Graphics: 10
Desire to get EVERYTHING: 6
Sub-Games: 8 (they had a card-battle game, of course I loved it!)
Character Development System: 10

My favorites are in order
6 - Which was a big part of my youth. I adored this game.
10 - B/c it really was the best of the series
7 - B/c it was so revolutionary
8 - Definitely a step down from the rest

Still want to play:
Tactics
9 - Which I hear is very reminescent of 6

---
Also, I'm currently playing "Star Ocean: Until the End of Time" for PS2 now. It is a Square/Enix game, and absolutely outstanding. I highly recommend it.

* It has a TOUGH real-time battle system which is a very nice change of pace
* It has an excellent character development system. Easy to grasp, difficult to master.
* Tremendous story
* Great graphics
* Excellent music (minus a few corny and out-of-place rock tunes)
* Unique Invention system (which lends itself to the character development system)