Fervor

M

mpgsheep

What i do not understand, is why Fires has become such a dominant decktype recently. Surely it could have been around for longer, with the card Fervor from 6th edition. This is essentially the same as Fires, without the pump ability, but costing 2R instead of 1GR. Surely when Saproling Burst and Blastoderm came in Nemesis, somebody noticed the synergy between these and Fervor, as someone obviously did when Fires came in Invasion.
Anyone have any ideas for why this happened?
Michael

G

Gizmo

Fires is also a Giant Growth, and so is useful in producing the kill and also if you draw multiple copies.

But not only need you look at what cards were added, you also need to consider what cards left. Fires is a deck that loses heavily to counterspells, and as such there was no way it could compete with powerful decks like Accelerated Blue, Trinity, or Replenish. Fires is actually quite a bad deck, it`s just that right now, barring CounterRebels, all the other decks are even worse.

T

terzarima

Fires a bad deck? Hmm, in some opinions, I've seen more than one fire deck take out the bane of its kind, WATERS!!!! And fervor was reprinted in 6th, originally it was in weatherlight, just to clear things up, and yes, the fires is good because of the added ability.

J

jcredberry

Fires is NOT a good deck... It´s very fast, but very weak... People who plays Fires, always talk about the perfect hand: Forest, Paradise Bird, Mountain, Fires, Forest, Blastoderm, Forest, Saproling Burst... That doesn't always happen... What almost all the time happens is that you don't draw the Fires and it turns out to be a regular R/G deck...

In our last regional qualifier, Fires decks didn't reach top 8... The winner was a very good Nether-Go with a Rebels on second place...

Fires is not a strong deck, it's very weak...

G

Gizmo

I`m not saying Fires isn`t a dominant deck - it is. But on a classic scale of decks, it`s poor compared to pretty much anything that you could play last year. The only deck that is played now that would really tear it up last year is CounterRebels, and even then it`s little more than a snack to a Masticore.

E

Ephrils

I don't quite get that either. Fervor would've made playing a mono colored Ambush deck possible, and way back in Weatherlight. Well, it is already possible, but it would've given an excuse to use creatures ordinarilly summoning sick.

What made a deck that uses Fervor and Fire work is the surprise and lack of 1 turn to prepare to defend against teh creature(s) that come out. It would've worked back then as it does now I think. The Giant Growth effect of Fires in an all red deck would have simply been more burn to finish off a creature or opponent. It has the same ending as pumping the creature.

If there was any reason why this deck never did take off, it may have been for the lack of big red creatures. hat, and that red is normally expensive when it comes to casting fatties of any kind. Green bends this rule a lot, but it wouldn't have been very hard to splash in green in a Fervor deck, red could use the mana accelration.